WAG Level 10 before college?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

f_johnston

Gymnast
I'm 17 and only at level 7. I could go on to college in 2018 like I would normally do... Or I could do a gap year and try to be a level 10 before college, which is extremely unlikely. It would mean that I would have to compete both level 8 and 9 next year, and I'm barely ready to compete 7 now. I really want to go on to college next year, but my mom thinks that I should try to do level 10. I don't think she really gets how hard that would be to do. It would take a lot of practice hours, for one thing. That would be incredibly hard because we actually live about two hours away from my gym. I just don't know if I'm willing to put in the time, money, and effort needed to do level 10. We keep going back and forth about what I'm going to do. She thinks I'll regret not trying for level 10. I really need some advice. Maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

You could go to college and keep training and advancing at whatever pace you're on.
This. And not to sound harsh, but it's not your mom's life we are talking about. It's yours. Taking a gap year for gymnastics when you are a level 7 does not seem to me a wise move, and it sounds like you have a very wise head on your shoulders. Competing in gym doesn't last forever, but education does. My vote is get thee to a college and continue your older and wiser path. Good luck to you.

I think taking a gap year can be a great learning and maturing time whether it's to work for a year (and find out that college life is sooo much easier), travel and see some of the world, or even reach your gymnastics goals.

But you don't sound like you want to!

Can you go to college and still train a club and try to get to whatever your gymnastics goal is (is it even level 10??)

Instead of think about whether is possible and realistic, think about what you want to do.

Here in Australia it is common to take a gap year to travel or focus on other things. After that gap year you head to the next level of your education with greater maturity, self knowledge and a wider pool of life skills. At the end of the day those who have taken the gap year have found it benefited their education.

Perhaps you won't make level 10, does that matter? If you pursue the goal and fall short of the mark, you will still have gained many valuable life skills along the journey.

Nothingness wrong with taking a gap year if it's something you want to do to travel, work, pursue a goal, or whatever else. I'm a PhD student and teach at the university and I see many freshman (and older students as well) struggling because they don't know what they want to do. If you want to wait on college to explore your options, that's one thing. But it should be what you want, and there is no reason you can't continue to train and compete in college: either with your current club, with a club where you move; or perhaps on a college club team. :)

Best of luck!

I'm 17 and only at level 7. I could go on to college in 2018 like I would normally do... Or I could do a gap year and try to be a level 10 before college, which is extremely unlikely. It would mean that I would have to compete both level 8 and 9 next year, and I'm barely ready to compete 7 now. I really want to go on to college next year, but my mom thinks that I should try to do level 10. I don't think she really gets how hard that would be to do. It would take a lot of practice hours, for one thing. That would be incredibly hard because we actually live about two hours away from my gym. I just don't know if I'm willing to put in the time, money, and effort needed to do level 10. We keep going back and forth about what I'm going to do. She thinks I'll regret not trying for level 10. I really need some advice. Maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

I think this sums it up. You want to go to college next year.
And yes, she is not the one doing the gymnastics and probably does not understand how difficult it would be. The gap from L7 to L10 is HUGE. Perhaps have her talk to a coach or someone to understand more how many years that takes and to understand that most girls do not make it to L10.

My DD was a barely L7 when she quit the sport and if I had told her she needed to get to L10 in a year or two she would've laughed in my face, and rightly so. She's a sophomore and had she stayed till graduation she would likely have been a L8. First year at that. Don't let your mom bully you into changing your life plans. If *you* want to keep doing gymnastics you absolutely can- in college or not. If *you* want to take a gap you you absolutely should- to do what you want. What exactly is your mom's end goal here?

Thanks to everyone for replying... I want to say that I do respect my mom's advice, but I just don't really see how getting to level 10 would necessarily benefit me. Honestly, I'm just ready to get out of the house and go to college. I do love gymnastics, and if the opportunity arose for me to continue training during college, I might do that. I want to go to the University of Alabama, and the coaches of the gymnastics team know me because I've come to the gymnastics camp for five years. I really would like some sort of job with the team, but I don't know what my options are. My major is probably going to be athletic training, so I'll get to work with sports teams, and hopefully the gymnastics team anyway. After college I would like to stay at the university and work there as an athletic trainer, but those are all just possibilities. I'm just going to have to try to calmly sit down and explain my side.

Every year that you put off college is one less year that you will make money in your lifetime. .

That's a bad thing?

You have 60 + years at work. One or two years will not make a difference. In fact i wish i'd put off college for a year or two, while i figured out what i wanted to do.

O/p is your mum thinking about scholarships and tuition fees? Don't know your circumstances but point out that an academic scholarship is more likely than a gymnastics one.

Thanks to everyone for replying... I want to say that I do respect my mom's advice, but I just don't really see how getting to level 10 would necessarily benefit me. Honestly, I'm just ready to get out of the house and go to college. I do love gymnastics, and if the opportunity arose for me to continue training during college, I might do that. I want to go to the University of Alabama, and the coaches of the gymnastics team know me because I've come to the gymnastics camp for five years. I really would like some sort of job with the team, but I don't know what my options are. My major is probably going to be athletic training, so I'll get to work with sports teams, and hopefully the gymnastics team anyway. After college I would like to stay at the university and work there as an athletic trainer, but those are all just possibilities. I'm just going to have to try to calmly sit down and explain my side.
University of Alabama has an NAIGC Club gymnastics team. There are also several USAG clubs in Alabama that might welcome you onto their team.
Because the jumps from 7 to 8 and then 8 to 9 and 9 to 10 are exponentially bigger, it would be highly improbable that you would be able to do it in two years. It would be better to go to college, but continue your gymnastics training, if you so choose.

That's a bad thing?

You have 60 + years at work. One or two years will not make a difference. In fact i wish i'd put off college for a year or two, while i figured out what i wanted to do.

O/p is your mum thinking about scholarships and tuition fees? Don't know your circumstances but point out that an academic scholarship is more likely than a gymnastics one.
60 plus? If I am still
Working at 80 shoot me please :).

You sound like you have a really good head on your shoulders. And I think you are very likely making the right decision. Even with high motivation, going from level 7 to 10 in a year or two when you are already 17 is highly unlikely. Best of luck. With your groundedness and good sense you should do very well in life.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back