Parents Level 3 USAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LouAnne1107

Proud Parent
Hi all. Previously I had posted to get advice about DD moving from rec gym to pre team at 5 yo. She has really been enjoying her new class and has gained new strengths and skills!
After returning from winter break and talking with one of her coaches I was informed that the plan for DD was to begin training in April to compete L3 in late 2014! I know the skills she has and is currently working on but I'm not certain of the L3 competition skills for routines. She will be 6yo in July so she will be old enough to compete and as long as she expresses that that is what she wants then I want her to be ready. Can anyone tell me what the L3 routine skills are for the events? Thanks!

Vault: Handstand Flatback
Bars: Glide and Return, Pullover, Front Hip Circle, Cast, Shoot Thru, Middle Circle (aka Mill Circle or Stride Circle), Leg Cut Back, Back Hip Circle, Underswing (Rainbow) Dismount
Beam: Leg Swing Mount, leap, handstand, straight jumps, 1/2 turn in Passé ... heel snap turn, pivot turns
Floor: Handstand Bridge Kickover, Handstand Forward Roll, Back Roll to Push up, Roundoff Back Handspring, Leap, Split Jump, Straight Jump, splits
Not in those orders necessarily, but those are the main skills.

YouTube. If you want to see the actual routines, make sure the videos are new since August, since the routines have changed. If you look at videos that are older than that, "new 3" has almost the same skill set as "old 4".

But use it for your education only. Let the coaches do the "making sure she's ready" part. Your job is to be a cheerleader only.

Also, if she has a kip, and it is solid, they can compete the kip in L3 but it is not required. We had some of the top gyms around here having their girls compete with the kip.

Haha nope no kip! We are just getting the hang of hip circles. She's a fast learner so maybe by time she is old enough to compete but right now bars are the weak point!

Shawn Johnson said the hardest skill she ever got was the kip and it took her a year. For some kids, if they can get a kip they can get skills that are much further down the line.

Reading this, and having read other posts about kips, I'm so amazed at the perception of our coaches.
We had a lot of new girls come to team this summer, my daughter among them. Some came from rec, some (like dd) from TOPs.
At the end of summer, only a few of the new girls were invited to do new L4, all the other newbies became L3s. The only difference was that all the ones invited had their front hip circle, although not great, but some that were NOT invited had theirs as well. Fast forward a few months, and the few girls who were selected all have their kip and look really good. It did take them a couple of months to get them, and another couple of months to get consistent straight arms, but they all have them now. The girls that became L3's are nowhere near getting their kips. As a totally untrained eye (I coach preschool gymnastics and one advanced 5-7yo rec class) I would have honestly selected a few of those girls over my own dd (bars are not her strength) but the coaches picked her and she's doing well. I'm so glad that they saw whatever it was they saw in these few girls as opposed to the others!!

As a fairly new to gymnastics mom my dd is only 5 just now coming out of rec and has never even heard the word kip in the gym. But I can not wait for it to come up! She naturally has great tumbling and balance skills. So floor and beam work seems to come easy but bars like I said before are a weakness. I'm not sure yet how she will do combining he RO and BHS but I feel like the kip will be the first big challenge for her to get to feel really accomplished when she gets it! It seems like the kip is one of the hardest because it's at the beginning of the routine and it takes a lot of strength since momentum hasnt been built up yet. So it would make sense that it is one of the harder skills!

As a fairly new to gymnastics mom my dd is only 5 just now coming out of rec and has never even heard the word kip in the gym. But I can not wait for it to come up! She naturally has great tumbling and balance skills. So floor and beam work seems to come easy but bars like I said before are a weakness. I'm not sure yet how she will do combining he RO and BHS but I feel like the kip will be the first big challenge for her to get to feel really accomplished when she gets it! It seems like the kip is one of the hardest because it's at the beginning of the routine and it takes a lot of strength since momentum hasnt been built up yet. So it would make sense that it is one of the harder skills!

How are they having her Compete in fall if she does not have her hip circles and ROBHS? These are skills she should probably already have right now to compete L3 in the fall. Is she on a pre-team now? Just curious, because that is a lot of skills to gain from a 1 hour a week rec class. -- NM I wasn't reading your post, I see that she is on a pre-team. I am sure she will be fine :)

How are they having her Compete in fall if she does not have her hip circles and ROBHS? These are skills she should probably already have right now to compete L3 in the fall. Is she on a pre-team now? Just curious, because that is a lot of skills to gain from a 1 hour a week rec class. -- NM I wasn't reading your post, I see that she is on a pre-team. I am sure she will be fine :)

@tooootsie thanks! lol I can see what you meant though! She has been in gym for 5 months. She is doing 2hrs a week with pre team right now. She will start 6hrs a week at the end of this comp season. Competing level 3 is the "plan" for her but our gym has girls compete L2 as well so I'm sure if she isn't ready fully in time then that is what she will do! I'd be happy with her competing either as long as she is. Both RO and BHS are great I've just never seen her put them together. Her hip circles aren't there yet but I can tell she knows what her body is supposed to be doing so knowing her it's only a matter of time. Even with 6 hrs a week it's still a lot to learn and perfect by fall.

I know a lot of gyms up the hours over the summer. Our gym does for sure! We go about 22 hours during school, but a minimum of 27 hours in the summer! They could up the hours in the summer In hopes of perfecting those skills! Good luck!

She competed lvl 4 and will compete lvl 5 in about 2weeks, but mostly the hours consists of conditioning, strength training, and up trains skills. She also tests TOPS in the summer months.

Somehow, some way. It just works itself out. She's not involved in any other sport or extra curricular activity. We live relatively close and I've learned that watching all the time creates discomfort so we go straight after school and pick up at 8. We've done this for about 2 years now so it's pretty much 2nd nature now. Oh and how we value Our weekends!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back