level 4/5/6 skills: WHICH SKILL IS HARDER?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Im a little concerned that a coach is asking this question...

That said, it depends on the individual and their strengths and weaknesses.

Some kids with solid foundations will have no trouble with a kip but will freak out with a fly away, and vice versa.

FWO/BWO is equally subjective - assuming they have the shoulder flexibility required, it's all a matter of personal taste.

i actually am only a rec coach, and i havent done gymnastics myself in several years, except for minor demonstrations for my rec classes. i am just a little confused about why (correct me if im wrong) kips are learned before flyaways, when flyaways seem easier to me.

my dd could tuck flyaway on a pit bar a long time before she could kip.

Although she learned her BWO first it look a long time (and still comes off now) whereas she learned her front walkover straight up onto high beam in one session. On floor her front walkover has alway been the nicer of the two so I am sure that is why.

i actually am only a rec coach, and i havent done gymnastics myself in several years, except for minor demonstrations for my rec classes. i am just a little confused about why (correct me if im wrong) kips are learned before flyaways, when flyaways seem easier to me.

Much better question!

The simple answer - if you have no means of getting up there, why learn to dismount?

The more coach oriented answer - shaping and technique. The requirements for a kip are mastery of shapes and changing. On top of that, it gives bar awareness and shift, as well as an all around sense of feeling good that you did something a majority of the world couldn't.

Would you be wrong to teach a fly-away to a rec class before a kip? Absolutely not. Its your class, and you should feel free to safely advance your athletes as you see fit.

Good luck!

Ryan

I would say the kip is harder to achieve.
Many coaches believe that this is such a fundamental skill that it is important to learn it before any other skill on bars, afterall, what is the point of learning how to get off the bar before you can get on it?

On beam, The forward walkover is generally more difficult as it is blind, however with backward walkovers you have the fear factor - most gymnasts will prefer to start facing forwards than backwards.

Personally I try to teach my gymnasts forwards, sideways and backwards skills on beam as early as possible!

I think that depends on the individuals strengths as to which is easier. But for me, a kip on bars was easier. I have had a lot of fear issue's with flyaways! But I also learned the kip when I was in level 4 and the flyaway in level 6, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Backwalkover on beam took me FOREVER to learn! I was terrified of it for the longest time! But I haven't really ever tried frontwalkovers yet! Beam just isn't really my thing (fear-wise!)

To me, I think whilst the kip was harder, I was afraid of flyaways, though I could kip easily. I also preferred the front walkover to the backwalkover myself.

I haven't seen any gymnasts afraid of kips. Afraid of banging their shins or legs on the bar in the glide leg lift, yes.

Flyaways however seem to involve a lot of fear. However, I've seen them worked successfully in boy's rec. Girl's rec...doubt it. Most can barely swing enough to call it a tap swing with a hand shift on the back swings (in rec).

Walkovers are not easy with inflexible kids.

Kips are a very important skill. All gymnasts need them in order to progress passed level 4, flyaways are not as essential. A kip will be used constantly throughout the gymnastics career, while a flyaway may be used as a dismount for level 6 and then never again.

Kips are also less dangerous than flyaways. A mistake on a glide kip may lead to shins hit on the bar or something. But if the timing is incorrect on a flyaway they gymnast will hit their feet on the bar and can fall dangerously which could result in anything from a scare to a severely damaged body. Its better to wait until the gymnast has more aerial sense.

Back walkovers are usually taught before front walkovers on beam but not always. In the USA a back walkover is required for level 6, which I believe is to build up towards the back handspring, which is a real fundamental skill on beam. However back walkovers are not considered harder.

In the FIG international code of points back walkovers and Front walkovers are both worth exactly the same. They are both A value skills on beam. Here in Australia you can do either. In level 5 you can do them as a bonus skill but both are worth the same.

Back walkovers are generally easier on beam because they don't have a blind landing like and front walkover. You can't see your foot landing on the beam for a front walkover like you can for a back walkover. But it will of course vary depending on the gymnasts fears.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back