Parents Level 6/7 frustrations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
Dd competed Level 5 last year. Did great, overall scored higher than all her teammates consistently throughout the season. She is lagging behind on level 7 bar skills but is confident she will have them in time for meet season. Has all her other level 7 skills beautifully. Her coach has not told her yet whether she will be in 6 or 7 this season. Not sure why but it is confusing and DD is feeling frustrated with that. I am feeling sad for my kiddo about all of this, she is crying after practice, does not understand why since other girls don’t have their beam/floor skills and were moved to level 7 but it seems her coach is hanging bars over head. Any guidance on this 6/7 placement would be helpful or if others have experienced same thing.

Our optionals haven’t been told their official levels yet either. I’d say bars IS the differentiator between level 6/7. Our gym usually expects 7s to have clear hip + handstand + giant + flyaway to compete 7. Where our 6s don’t need a giant or clear hip handstand. The beam/floor/vault skills competed are similar, and most of our 6s last year had their 7 skills on the other events, a couple even competed giants at 6 by the end of season. Could be worth meeting with the coach to see what their plan for her is, but go in with an open mind knowing that they want what’s best for her. Being a strong level 6 may be better overall vs a struggling 7 if the skills aren’t quite up to their standards.

Bars is a gatekeeper preventing kids from moving up. Often there’s less room to construct a routine to compensate for a bars deficiency compared to a deficiency on floor or beam. This is likely why you are seeing teammates with weaker floor/beam skills promoted to L7. The coaches may not be as confident that your DD can get all the skills and connect them in a routine before the start of the season.

I feel for you…my DD was often in this situation with uncertainty on the level or having to start the season scratching bars. All you can do is provide encouragement that she WILL get her routine and that she’s on her own individual path in the sport. Also might be worth having a quick check in with a coach in how they see your daughters progress.

Bars is a gatekeeper preventing kids from moving up. Often there’s less room to construct a routine to compensate for a bars deficiency compared to a deficiency on floor or beam. This is likely why you are seeing teammates with weaker floor/beam skills promoted to L7. The coaches may not be as confident that your DD can get all the skills and connect them in a routine before the start of the season.

I feel for you…my DD was often in this situation with uncertainty on the level or having to start the season scratching bars. All you can do is provide encouragement that she WILL get her routine and that she’s on her own individual path in the sport. Also might be worth having a quick check in with a coach in how they see your daughters progress.
I've never understood the concept of scratching an event that you can do safely, even with a lower SV or some built-in deductions.
Anything above a 0 adds to the AA score. If you do a baseline L6 routine with cast to 45º at L7, you are missing a B skill (0.3), a clear circling skill SR (0.5) ... so SV = 9.2 ... take the deduction on cast angle ... and you can still score in the high 7s to low 8s. It would be a little harder if the cast isn't to 45º, meaning SV of 8.7 and still the possibility of 7s.

My daughter is in almost the same position except that she isn't bothered by doing level 6... I am! Hahaha Yes, I have checked myself and am working on my feelings.
I agree with the others, I think bars is important. This sport isn't "fair" in who competes which level when. There is good things about doing lower levels rather than rushing through to the highest level possible. I think that if my daughter was struggling with doing level 6 instead of level 7 I would make sure that as a family we focused on the positives that can come out of doing level 6 instead of level 7. Remind her to keep her focus on her own path and not get distracted by comparing to others and encourage her and celebrate every growth moment.

I've never understood the concept of scratching an event that you can do safely, even with a lower SV or some built-in deductions.
Anything above a 0 adds to the AA score. If you do a baseline L6 routine with cast to 45º at L7, you are missing a B skill (0.3), a clear circling skill SR (0.5) ... so SV = 9.2 ... take the deduction on cast angle ... and you can still score in the high 7s to low 8s. It would be a little harder if the cast isn't to 45º, meaning SV of 8.7 and still the possibility of 7s.

My thoughts on scratching have been all over the place over the years. I have issues when it's used as a punitive measure or if the kids ability to compete is based on something that doesn't happen at practice the week before (usually a lame reason). I think there are times when it's appropriate to put a kid up knowing they will score in the 7's and other times, not so much. I thought it was entirely appropriate the times my DD scratched an event and TBH I appreciated the individualized decision.

My daughter was state champion at Level 5 and did level 6. Her coach explained that due to age ( She was 9)and maturity that he felt doing a year of six would benefit her. He was right. Could it be maturity?

They have not told her her level yet because she is on the cusp and they are waiting to give her a little more time to get her level 7 skills. She needs to just keep on working on her bar skills and make peace with competing whatever level is most appropriate when meet season arrives.

Dd competed Level 5 last year. Did great, overall scored higher than all her teammates consistently throughout the season. She is lagging behind on level 7 bar skills but is confident she will have them in time for meet season. Has all her other level 7 skills beautifully. Her coach has not told her yet whether she will be in 6 or 7 this season. Not sure why but it is confusing and DD is feeling frustrated with that. I am feeling sad for my kiddo about all of this, she is crying after practice, does not understand why since other girls don’t have their beam/floor skills and were moved to level 7 but it seems her coach is hanging bars over head. Any guidance on this 6/7 placement would be helpful or if others have experienced same thing.
I have the exact same problem but we are 6 and have all 7 . 8. And some 9 and hangs bars was state champion and is either get it or go excel.

I have the exact same problem but we are 6 and have all 7 . 8. And some 9 and hangs bars was state champion and is either get it or go excel.
Get it or go excel. Harsh. 😳

Do you have other options?

Our gym does L6 and 7 for everyone. It's a great confidence builder. She can do harder skills on other events and get ahead. It will absolutely put her in a better position later on.

I wish ours did that. They won’t which is really horrible. My daughter will be crushed going to platinum and then play the back and forth game if that. Thanks for all the support. I think I need to look elsewhere

If bars is the only thing missing, I’d try to have your daughter do private lessons with the bars coach in her gym.

We don’t have a bars coach. Just two coaches who do all and excel and she does privates ever weekend with. The coaches. No other options and no other place does privates unless you train there

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back