WAG Level 7 Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1canadiangymmom

Proud Parent
Special requirements 2 circling elements from Groups 3, 6 and 7. So Giants, Clear hip, Stalder, what are other options Sole circle? Can they do 2 clear hip circles instead of giants? Some ideas please.

By the end of the season, DD moved her free hip to high bar, so basically she did kip to squat on (low bar), then high bar free hip to handstand, giant, flyaway. One of her teammates did not have a giant so she did a free hip on the low and high bar (but did not get either to handstand so did not score that well).

I had to look up what a stalder was cause I've never really heard it discussed among the level 7 crowd - yeah, lol - that looks a lot harder than a giant which is probably why no one is trying to do it at that level. Wonder what the angle requirement is though in 7?

I've heard that the requirement to not get deductions on a free hip for level 7 is 45 degrees? I'm almost positive if does not need to be to a handstand.

Giants are not part of the group 3,6,7 circling elements. These are clear hips, stalders and sole circles. There is no giant requirement. It is a B skill. The angle requirement for no deduction in level seven and eight is 45 degrees.

There are different requirements/deductions for clear hips than for the other circling elements. Low clear hips are much more harshly deducted than low stalders for instance. A clear hip below horizontal can get up to .4 deduction. The deduction for amplitude/angle on a Stalder tops out at any angle at .2

If they are really struggling with the clear hip and can get a stalder or sole circle even at its most rudimentary level they will probably score higher. The clear hip isn't the easier skill for all kids.

you can also do 2 clearhips (or toe hand or stalder) in a row on the same bar... I've seen someone compete kip cast handstand clear hip, clear hip kip cast squat on, long hand kip cast handstand flyaway. The casts were to handstand but the clearhips were not to handstand but approximately 45 - it scored a low 9...

dd was told that Sole Circles are not allowed, neither was 2 clear hips. So if Sole Circles count as one of the special requirements from 3,6,7 does it have to be anything fancy, or just a regular Sole circle? She has that not an issue, she also has a clear hip, and a flyaway layout full. Could she put together a Level 7 bar routine with this? Coaches?
Giants are not part of the group 3,6,7 circling elements. These are clear hips, stalders and sole circles. There is no giant requirement. It is a B skill. The angle requirement for no deduction in level seven and eight is 45 degrees.

There are different requirements/deductions for clear hips than for the other circling elements. Low clear hips are much more harshly deducted than low stalders for instance. A clear hip below horizontal can get up to .4 deduction. The deduction for amplitude/angle on a Stalder tops out at any angle at .2

If they are really struggling with the clear hip and can get a stalder or sole circle even at its most rudimentary level they will probably score higher. The clear hip isn't the easier skill for all kids.

A sole circle (or toe circle, as we call it) to a stand won't work - it has to finish in a clear support and kip or swing out of it...

dd was told that Sole Circles are not allowed, neither was 2 clear hips. So if Sole Circles count as one of the special requirements from 3,6,7 does it have to be anything fancy, or just a regular Sole circle? She has that not an issue, she also has a clear hip, and a flyaway layout full. Could she put together a Level 7 bar routine with this? Coaches?

Sole circle support is similar to the toe on to handstands videos, but instead of shooting out so soon they shoot off later and end in clear support- think of clear hips when they are learning- they don't start to handstand.
While 2 freehips are allowed and fulfill requirements, lots of gyms require giants for L7 bars. It could just be a gym requirement.

dd was told that Sole Circles are not allowed, neither was 2 clear hips.

She was told incorrectly. Your coach might not want her competing two free hips, and there are a number of developmental reasons this could be the case, but by the rules you can construct a routine with 2 free hips and it will meet the requirements.

A lot of coaches require giants for level 7, even though the rules don't explicitly require them.

Geoffrey Taucer, Thank you for the info. I don't think the giants are a requirement at the gym, our gym is still brand new to JO, so I think everyone is still learning the requirements. One more question for you if you don't mind, dd was also told she is not allowed to do a back hip circle, I don't see anywhere that it is not allowed or will be a deduction, she wants to use it to connect to something else as she finds it easier (her preference idk why). Wouldn't it just be counted as an A skill, and whatever deductions she gets for execution??

Geoffrey Taucer, Thank you for the info. I don't think the giants are a requirement at the gym, our gym is still brand new to JO, so I think everyone is still learning the requirements. One more question for you if you don't mind, dd was also told she is not allowed to do a back hip circle, I don't see anywhere that it is not allowed or will be a deduction, she wants to use it to connect to something else as she finds it easier (her preference idk why). Wouldn't it just be counted as an A skill, and whatever deductions she gets for execution??

I'd have to pull out the code and double-check a few things; I don't currently coach level 7s, and haven't bothered to learn the current optional code inside and out the way I have in the past.

Having made that disclaimer, here are my thoughts:
I'm 95% sure that a back hip circle could be counted as an A skill in a level 7 routine without deduction, HOWEVER I would not put it in a level 7 routine, simply because if the kid is still at a level where they need a BHC in their routine, I probably wouldn't be inclined to have them compete level 7 in the first place. A back hip circle is a level 3/4 skill; level 7s should be spending their time practicing cast handstands, free hip handstands, giants, and dismounts from giants. I wouldn't necessarily require all of these to start a season at level 7, but I would want a kid to be close enough that I could reasonably expect them to have these skills competition-ready by the end of the season; otherwise, I'd probably keep them back at level 6.

I'd have to pull out the code and double-check a few things; I don't currently coach level 7s, and haven't bothered to learn the current optional code inside and out the way I have in the past.

Having made that disclaimer, here are my thoughts:
I'm 95% sure that a back hip circle could be counted as an A skill in a level 7 routine without deduction, HOWEVER I would not put it in a level 7 routine, simply because if the kid is still at a level where they need a BHC in their routine, I probably wouldn't be inclined to have them compete level 7 in the first place. A back hip circle is a level 3/4 skill; level 7s should be spending their time practicing cast handstands, free hip handstands, giants, and dismounts from giants. I wouldn't necessarily require all of these to start a season at level 7, but I would want a kid to be close enough that I could reasonably expect them to have these skills competition-ready by the end of the season; otherwise, I'd probably keep them back at level 6.
Fair enough, dd is doing all the above skills, giants are a work in progress still. She does not need the BHC for an extra A, she wants it for comfort I think? Does that make sense?

Also as a note on the change from CPP to JO- in CPP you can go back hip circle, swing legs forward and cast into another skill, in JO you have to continue to backhip circle (underswing) for it to still count as connected. Hopefully that gibberish makes sense.

Also as a note on the change from CPP to JO- in CPP you can go back hip circle, swing legs forward and cast into another skill, in JO you have to continue to backhip circle (underswing) for it to still count as connected. Hopefully that gibberish makes sense.
Yep, this would be my understanding. I think a back hip would technically be ok(since it is an A skill in the code), but you don't see them in routines because I can't think of a way to get out of it without incurring the 0.3 extra swing deduction. Stop after the back hip and cast is an extra swing. Underswing, counterswing, tap is an extra swing(counter swing, tap swing is not an element in the code so incurs the extra swing deduction).

Yep, this would be my understanding. I think a back hip would technically be ok(since it is an A skill in the code), but you don't see them in routines because I can't think of a way to get out of it without incurring the 0.3 extra swing deduction. Stop after the back hip and cast is an extra swing. Underswing, counterswing, tap is an extra swing(counter swing, tap swing is not an element in the code so incurs the extra swing deduction).

And on top of the .3 extra swing would like be additional rhythm deductions. In level 6 even we had a girl miss her clear hip and got credit for the A skill back hip circle but scored VERY low due to all the consequences of basically having to stop the rhythm of the routine in the middle. It wasn't pretty, somewhere in the 7s I believe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back