level 8 regionals question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymbratdad

how do they determine what gymnasts go to level 8 region8 regionals

by qualifying score. go to region 8 website and you'll find the qualifying score posted.

From my understanding, last year, Region 8 regional qualifications were not determined solely by state AA scores, but my numbers.

Quoted from the region 8 rules and policies, "The number of gymnasts at Level 8 Regionals All Stars is 208 + all ties + an additional 54 athletes. The number of team members is 64 (8 per state with 4 scores counting for team). There are no petitions accepted to Level 8 Regionals. The additional 54 athletes are determined by a percentage of those scoring a 34.00+, by the designated deadline, from all 8 states. (6/7/00) (12/19/03)"

I think that means you not only have to score a 34.00 +, but be in the top 262 Level 8 athletes in the region. I think last year they gave each state a certain number of slots based on percentage of total athletes from that state. I'm pretty sure one of the athletes from my gym got a 34.something AA and did not qualify. She was a few kids out.

that's what i meant. the minimum score is a 34. but each region has other prongs. that's why it's best to check the regional websites.

They also send level 7's to regionals in region 8 and I for the life of me can not figure out how many they are going to send. Last year it was the top 16 girls (in all divisions combined) at the State meet. I have heard that this year they are only sending the top 6. I can't find it anywhere on that site.

They also send level 7's to regionals in region 8 and I for the life of me can not figure out how many they are going to send. Last year it was the top 16 girls (in all divisions combined) at the State meet. I have heard that this year they are only sending the top 6. I can't find it anywhere on that site.

The qualification process is similar.

From the Region 8 R&P, "The criteria for Level 7’s going to Regionals be the same criteria as for those going to Level 8 Regionals. (6/11/09) The number of gymnasts at Level 7 Regionals All Stars is 120 + all ties. The number of team members is 64 (8 per state with 4 scores counting for team). There are no petitions accepted to Level 7 Regionals. (6/11/09)"

Not sure if that means you have to be in the top 108 AA scores in region 8, or if they will allot a certain number of spaces to each state.

It's my understanding for level 7 regionals that the top 15 girls from each state will go (15 * 8 states = 120). I believe that means the top 3 from each of the five age groups at states but I'm not certain about that.

It's my understanding for level 7 regionals that the top 15 girls from each state will go (15 * 8 states = 120). I believe that means the top 3 from each of the five age groups at states but I'm not certain about that.

I think that's how they should do it, but here in SC they didn't do it that way last year. They just took the top 16 in all age groups combined. We had 4 girls go from our gym and they were all in the same age group. Maybe this year it will be different. Although, I have already prepared my DD not to get her hopes up. Last year girls who qualified (from here) were all in the 37+ all round range. :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back