WAG Lost a coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Our gym lost our beam coach. The head coach is male. So, he does not coach beam. Currently, the rec coaches, who have no gymnastics training or are cheerleaders, are overseeing the beam practices. With the shortage of coaches, we don't know when we will get a new coach. Anyone had to do without a beam coach for a while? How did this affect the gymnasts progress? Coaches, what can we do in the interim? As it was with the old beam coach (who does not have extensive experience but at least did gymnastics), my daughter was up training herself. She learned some skills from a very reputable and capable coach (Tammy Biggs). So, she practices Arabians, onodis on beam. Her mount is also a planche which has not progressed. I don't think she leans forward enough like the ones I see the elites do. They are letting her do those skills or practice them but cannot provide any corrections. In fact, they did not even know what they were until my daughter did them. The coach who is overseeing the coaching told the girls she was "paying attention to the judge who came in the gym and is aware of the deductions they take". I'm not too thrilled with this comment that I think was intended to reassure the girls. I can do that too. We need someone who can coach the skills and not just know where deductions are being taken without knowing how to correct them. Are my concern justified? Is having a qualified beam coach more dispensable than the other apparatus? Btw, we have Level 9s and 10s.

Definitely need a beam coach past optionals.

I'm surprised the HC doesn't know some Beam. Heck, I know a fair amount how to coach BB (though it's my least favorite event to coach).

That being said, for L9/10s even optionals it really helps to have a solid beam coach. I was at one club where we didn't and the girls tended to slack off on that event.

Take a deep breath.. There may be something in the works that the HC is not ready to share. Or this may have caught him by surprise and he has to jump into action. If he has 9s/10s he needs to get a qualified beam coach and sometimes in the interim its better not to just hire anyone. Id give it a few days and then ask what the plan is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back