Parents Lost skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't have a DS in gymnastics, but in regards to this other mom's 'advice,' it has been my experience that some parents have a tendency to seat themselves on high horses.....take her inferences with a grain of salt! I have been in this sport with my child for almost 5 years. She's worked with the same girls since she started. Every single one of them have struggled for a period of time due to growth spurts! None have developed fear issues! As a matter of fact, DD's best friend approx same age as your son, hit a growth spurt a cpl weeks ago. She lost her BWO on beam! She competed this BWO in TOPS testing in June! She struggled a cpl weeks, but the BWO made it's way back before her first lvl 5 meet last weekend. But seriously, don't heed negative suggestions from parents. That was their child's journey, this is yours! Each child h is different!

Fear issues and growth spurt struggles are quite common in girls gym, I would guess fear less common in boys from my kids experience. My boys do have one friend who is amazing, form great, strong enough, but very hesitant to do new things, and the only level 5 boy on the team not doing flyaways, back tucks, fulls in the pit, etc even though he wins every meet...and he's also not super into gym, actually...i don't think he'll stick with it long term, but who know?

Some kids don't run into these issues, some kids its a constant battle within their own will....how much do I want to progress in gym versus how scared I am....the growth spurt issues happen in all sports, but are more obvious in gym because of the precise mechanics involved and all the adjustments a body needs to make - its possible that the boy you referred to simply is talented enough to make those adjustments easily!

If your DS loves gym then have patience and let him know that it will come back if he works with the coach....don't worry about other kids developmental paths....my DDs gym has graduated 2 level 10s in 3 years (the only ones from the entire 3/4 of our state, by the way) who went on to D1 gymnastics. Both struggled with fears and blocks repeatedly....they learned its part of life's journey!

On the other hand, if a kid ends up quitting with these bumps in the road, that's OK too....although the parent of one of those girls told me when his DD got stuck with back tumbling on the beam that he told her she could only quit AFTER conquering whatever it was she was afraid of....for her that was what she needed...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back