DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Art

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Hi all,

Sorry, this is a copied post from the coaching forum, but I only had one reply on there, and it didnt really clarify if it was down to the second knuckle or not.
Will try to get a few pics today to put up here for you to have a look.

Problem is...........

I have 2 male gymnasts who have just bought their first handguards for high bar.
The first gymnast is fine, his guards are same size as the ones I use so know exactly how it fits, and he has adjusted fast.

Second gymnast is a bit harder. His hands are smaller, and is struggling a bit.
I took a look, and seems when I use the guards, hanging on the bar, the dowel is pressed between my fingers and bar, back towards my palm. When my second gymnast hangs, his fingers are only just on the dowel, and they are pushing it against the bar, but on a diagonal angle towards the ground instead of across.

Hope you can understand that description. I should have taken photos to help show what I mean.

The only way I can think of getting his fingers pushing the dowel back to his palms and fingers further over the bar, is to grind the finger holes a bit bigger.

With myself it sits just under the first knuckle. Its same position with him currently. Should we get his to come further down to the second knuckle?

Thought I would check before doing it as you cant make the finger holes smaller if it didn't work.

no, you don't go to the 2nd knuckle. the grip will crop/bunch in the palm. send a photo. maybe you got a bad grip. it happens.

the photos

Sorry its taken me so long, but i finally have a few photos of what it looks like.
Please let me know what you think. I had someone suggest they may be too small, though his hand was measured and they bought the size recommended for his length.

SANY8020.jpg
Here he is hanging on a bar. didnt have thumb around as he struggles to do so with the guard on.

Next...
SANY8021.jpg
Showing difference with and without the grip. he isnt even hanging straight under and is fingers are already at the top of the bar.

Lastly...
SANY8022.jpg

This is the position I think the dowel should be, between fingers and palm, however he should be able to hang with his hand in this position. to get it here as you can see he had to lift his wrist and arm almost to horizontal.

help? too small? or....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back