DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Art

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Hi everyone.

I was sort of pushed into the MAG head coach position at our club. Problem is that I have never really been told what the job really entails.

I have sort of come to figure out a lot on my own over the last year, but thought I would ask on here what is expected of bigger clubs. Our highest level boys are only level 4.

Hope other head coaches might be able to help?

Sure, ask away BTDT though I'm in WAG now. Valentin is another to ask.

Where are you now BlairBob? Tried to PM you.

On to the post..I am NOT a coach but I know what my son likes. It HAS to be fun. These guys have a long time to go in the sport, so the fun keeps them going. Our boys condition like crazy but most of the time have no idea they are doing it because it is games or contest! Handstand contests, push up king contests, races, rope races, circle contests, hanging contests, etc. They just have fun.

I can't tell you much about drills or things like that, but from a parent perspective, that would be huge!

Sorry but I think I have been misunderstood.

I'm not new at coaching, been coaching and judging for several years. I am however new to the position of Head MAG Coach.

Wanting to find out what the job description is or responsibilities are at other clubs as our club doesn't have anything of the sort in position yet.

For example.....
Organise class’ training sessions. Complete competition entries, keep in touch with parents, know gymnast’s medical conditions, and assess when gymnasts are ready to move up a class.
Arranging training hours, overseeing other coaches, and checking up on the other classes. Head coaches also need to checkup what qualifications the other coaches in their code have to be able to inform them of courses coming up that they need to attend. National governing body also needs to be kept up to date on coach’s first aid qualifications.

Thanks.

When i was Head Coach, these where things i would have been expected
1- Planning, organizing practices
2- Directing other stuff in their planning and organizing
3- Input into boys recreational program
4- Either being responsible for all meet entry administration work, or providing all necessary information to the person in charge
5- Taking gymnasts to meets
6- Communicating with parents about gymnasts progress and being informed of all male gymnastics related things that happening in club (from parent drama to what the kids you don't coach are doing and getting on)
7- Providing education for any staff members that need it on the boys side

These are just to name a few of the most major ones

Thanks a lot Valentin. That was the sort of information I was after.

Anyone have anything else that I haven't mentioned in the earlier post?

Thanks.

A big part of the job can just be trying to promote boys gymnastics. Making sure you get results into the local newspapers, planning demonstrations, stuff like that.

One of my biggest challenges is just trying to integrate our boys program alongside the uptight women's program in our gym.

I was sort of pushed into the MAG head coach position at our club. Problem is that I have never really been told what the job really entails.

Everything...kick some questions back at us and we'll let you know if there is anything that you are not responsible for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back