Coaches Major Events or Sections of Workout?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
How are your workouts structured? Please specify if optional...compulsory...or both.

I am basically looking for the system that clubs are using.

Below are three different expamples...

We run our optionals 20 hours/week as follows...
  • 1 hour 4x per week on bars = 20% bars
  • 1 hour 4x per week on beam = 20% beam
  • 1 hour 4x per week on floor = 20% floor
  • 1 hour 4x per week on vault = 20% vault
  • 4 hours per week on warm-up...conditioning...flex = 20% physical preparation

or

We run a non-traditional schedule as follows with our optionals...
  • 1 hour 4x per week on bars = 20% bars
  • 1 hour 4x per week on beam = 20% beam
  • 1 hour 5x per week on power & air (vault...floor tumbling...trampoline) = 25% power & air
  • 45 minutes 3x per week on dance (basic dance...leaps...jumps...turns...floor routines) = 11% dance
  • 4.75 hours per week on warm-up...conditioning...flex = 24% physical abilities

or

We run 6 hour workouts 6 days per week for 36 hours for our L9's and up. We do 1 hour of every event each day plus 1 hour of dance or trampoline each day. This leaves us 1 hour for warm-up...strength...and flex each day.

In a 12 hour week, 3 days a week 4 hours each.
Everyday is as follows:
30 minute warm up (basic warm up, conditioning and a little flexibility).
45 minutes each event (one day a week instead of floor is dance, also incorporated into normal floor circuit, one rotation a week of vault in tumble track for tumbling or vaulting)
45 minutes conditioning and flexibility at end.
Same for all levels P1-P4/5 (about L4-L9)

12 hr week, 3 days times 4 hours, for the summer

15 min stretch
15 min floor warmup
30 min cross tumbling
1 hour drills/conditioning (I get the floor for an extra hour while the other events are full so I try to do floor drills for all the events, so we spread out everything)
40 min other events

Once a week we spend an hour on dance instead of drills and conditioning.

Thank you both...I would love to hear from more of you also.

In a 5 day week of 4.75 hr practices......

This is the meat and potato schedule for mid June to mid October. The order of the work list changed each week to give each event a chance to be first in the order.........

10 minutes warm-up

20 minutes of positions/shapes and handstand work.

75 minutes beam...... 20 min. of upright drills and handstands, 20 min. of dance skills, 35 minutes of acro

45 minutes tumbling, 10 minutes dance elements on M,Tu, Th, Fr.... Wednesday all dance

15 minutes flexibility

60 minutes bars, and bar conditioning

40 minutes vaulting or 40 minutes of low impact drill work

20 minutes conditioning alternating days incorporating tramp and mini tramp, so heavy conditioning one day, and light conditioning with tramp work the next day.

My group is a bit unique: a few are beginning optional and a few are still level 4 and 5. In the summer they are all at 16 hours (4hours, 4 times per week). In the fall, the compulsories will drop down to 12 hours (optionals will stay an extra hour everyday).

As I've said before, I believe in lots of conditioning and lots of bars. Every gym is different though, in what you can actually access. Here's how it basically breaks down....

45-1hr conditioning everyday (this is broken down further, though, into cardio, rope, and regular chinups/push-ups/vups type stuff)
1/2 hour vault, 3x per week (the highest i have is working level 7, so right now, not much is required for vault. they are still competing front handsprings and just working drills for tsuk and yurchenko)
45min everyday on beam
45 min everyday on bars + extra 30min one day for skills/trouble spots
45 min floor everyday (mostly tumbling, probably an hour total per week on dance)

It gets tweaked (if possible, based on what everything else in the gym is doing) if i see something needs more/less time.
Bars, conditioning and beam are done everyday no matter what levels I have.

My compulsory girls come 3 hrs a day, with a minimum of 3x a week for (new) L3 and L4, and 4x a week for L5. Some come more.

Typical day is:
30 min warmup, body prep, and stretching
30 min beam
30 min bars
30 min conditioning
30 min floor
30 min vault/tumble trak or dance

Only thing we do different that I see is the upper levels do extra bar workouts.
8's do 6, and the 9 10's do 7 The extra rotations are only a half hour and meant to get basics done , freeing up the other workouts for everything else.

We change week to week depending on the gymnasts needs. But I am surprised to hear that so many spend equal time on all apparatus.

We spend the most time on floor, with tumbling to some degree every day as this is the basis for all apparatus.

Bar workouts are shorter but more frequent than other workouts to make sure the hands get through. Beam workouts are long but less frequent. Once the kids have they eye in on beam it helps to keep going for longer. Vault workouts are also shorter but more frequent (not as much as bars).

Then time for strength, conditioning, flexibility, dance, trampoline etc.

Only thing we do different that I see is the upper levels do extra bar workouts.
8's do 6, and the 9 10's do 7 The extra rotations are only a half hour and meant to get basics done , freeing up the other workouts for everything else.

Wow...love this idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back