Parents Meet during the super bowl :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a dad of an optional gymnast (10 yo Lvl 8), and who this may be her last year of competing, and someone who LOVES football...it's an easy call for me. When we lived in TX and dd competed compulsaries I was there for every single meet. No questions asked, and luckily never had that conflict. Again, no conflict this year, but since moving to WA, I don't get to see very many of my daughters meets. I'm usually going in the other direction for volleyball tournaments, and I don't travel to the out of state meets because of work. I would go to my daughters meet and I would be happy to get to see the meet, but I would be on fire for having to miss the Superbowl....any of it! For those that don't get the Superbowl, it's not just a game, it's an event!

We live in an area of the country where college football is a way of life (LOL!). Since the compulsory season is in the fall, often what you see in the stands are dads with headphones and their electronics if their daughters' meet is on a Saturday. Always a way to see both, especially if you have WiFi or 3G. :D

You must be in AL- this state shuts down for Football! If a meet falls on a game day, there is always a TV somewhere at the meet, with a crowd of dads around it lol. I've even heard them announce Football scores between rotations.

Maybe I should start a new thread but do both parents and family members go to all meets? We do not here, not really because we don't want to, more that multiple children and busy schedules, and sometimes house stuff dictates it. With soccer tournaments and league games and literally running around all the time, we are oftentimes a tag team. Also my boys do not like watching gymnastics. They love their sister, they like seeing the videos of what she does but the meets not so much. They've gone to a few but would rather not (they are now in highschool and college). So, I guess I am the odd one, if a meet was happening during Superbowl, I would tell my DH to stay home, and I'd take her, same if it was a soccer game. He enjoys it so much more than me. I guess it just isn't a big deal here. We go together when we can. When the kids were smaller we all went as a family to games and practices. Life was not as hectic those days.

I'm in Kentucky and college basketball rules here. Last year at the L5 and up state meet, the state was in the middle of the NCAA tournament and our two state powerhouses were playing one another. In the final four. Yeah, it was very sparsely attended. What men were there had headphones in sitting up in the balcony.

We had fun with it though. When people came into to pay, we asked them if they were rooting for U of L or UK. The U of L people got a red L on their hand and the UK people got a blue K. In between rotations, we announced the score as well.

MaryRS - I can't imagine missing a meet but Bella is an only child. She's also the only grandchild on both sides so yeah....it gets rather obnoxious. Mom and Dad, maternal grands and paternal grands, sometimes even aunt and uncle and a cousin.

I'm so grateful that I don't have to pick and choose. It would be so hard.

A lot of families in our gym will just split kids. So mom goes to this activity and dad goes to this one. They make it work.

Maybe I should start a new thread but do both parents and family members go to all meets? We do not here, not really because we don't want to, more that multiple children and busy schedules, and sometimes house stuff dictates it. With soccer tournaments and league games and literally running around all the time, we are oftentimes a tag team. Also my boys do not like watching gymnastics. They love their sister, they like seeing the videos of what she does but the meets not so much. They've gone to a few but would rather not (they are now in highschool and college). So, I guess I am the odd one, if a meet was happening during Superbowl, I would tell my DH to stay home, and I'd take her, same if it was a soccer game. He enjoys it so much more than me. I guess it just isn't a big deal here. We go together when we can. When the kids were smaller we all went as a family to games and practices. Life was not as hectic those days.

At our gym everyone seems to go as a family. The only exception for us is if my middle daughter has a cheer comp on same day, someone is sick, or when my youngest was itty bitty (no fun at all). We go to ATL Crown this weekend & have some fun family things planned.

We go to gymnastics meets and soccer games as a family, unless they conflict with each other, in which case, parents and grandparents alternate. I hate when they conflict and I have to miss one or the other. The girls don't like it, either.

We all go to meets if we can...the only exceptions being, if there is a conflict with the other child's sport/activity, or if it is a very early/very late session. No need to drag the sibling to those meets, because that makes everyone miserable ;)

We do not go to all the meets as a family. We will go to the one this weekend, but then it will be probabyl 4 meets before we are all there again. It just isn't fair to make my 13 year old sit there for 4-5 hours to watch his brother do about 6 minutes of stuff. Then there is the cost! $5 per person can get pricey. We even have one meet this year that most parents are not going to. It is a team travel meet, so many parents are staying home. We are going because D is so young to do that, but most parents are not.

We video and text scores to the person not at the meet. Then we have a lot to talk about when we get home!

I'm usually everywhere with my 2yo with me. DH works a lot. He did manage to make a portion of 3 soccer games. I know my in-laws would be there in an instant, but sometimes I need them to watch my boy. DD seems okay as long as people watch her on video later! :)

I think we lean more like you. My dh or I take my dd to her meets, my younger ds hates sitting through her meets. My dd hates sitting through his meets. My dh often works on weekends and misses the meets(but truly wants to be there). My dd wants us there if we can make it but doesn't sweat it if one of us misses a meet. She likes competing but her coaches don't emphasize the meets that much so neither does she. NOW, a new skill at training and she wants us both to come see:) SHe will do her travel meets without us, it gets too expensive and boring for my son for the whole family to do all the travel meets. In a perfect world we would be at every meet of both my ds and my dd but alas, we cannot. We do celebrate every meet (regardless of results) as a family afterward!!!!

If I'm not working, I'm at all my DD's meets. DH goes to as many as possible, but we have 4 kids so there are conflicts. He's the swim dad (he swam in HS and college) and I'm the gym mom--if we have to divide! We rarely take the entire family (kids are all teens or close) because of the expense (we'd be paying adult rates for all of them). They do all go for the big meets (State or Regionals--Nationals is here this year, if she happens to make it!)

We haven't officially had any meets yet as this is our first year on pre-team, but I will not expect my entire family to sit through them. They will all go to one (probably the one with the cheapest entry fee) and that is it. My other two already sit through several hours of practice per week and I couldn't imagine making them sit through an all day meet. As far as my husband, he loves to watch them, but supports them in other ways so they do not hold it against him if he has to miss something. Frankly, it will be easier and more enjoyable for me if I don't have to tote the kids with me and they will get some special time with daddy while my gymnast gets some special time with mama. Now if she makes it to state or something like that, we are all there, every time.

Krisnkids - just saw your subsequent post regarding why he was the way he was...Sorry! Just so sad :-(

What was his reasoning for not wanting to come watch his daughter? I understand gymnastics might not be everyone's thing, but can't even imagine my husband not wanting to come watch his kids compete, perform, or what ever they want to do. Just curious what he could say to make that ok...

But the cowboys haven't been in the playoffs in how many years? lol :D Did you see the Lion King fb post about the Cowboys and playoffs?

On topic: Some dad's/parents are just not as into the gymnastics scene and its too bad for their kids. My oldest dd struggled for 2 years of competitions where her dad came to see her once, because I dragged him. He complained the entire time. My choice would be, if you can come and enjoy yourself, then come, if you are going to come and complain, don't bother.

Krisnkids - just saw your subsequent post regarding why he was the way he was...Sorry! Just so sad :-(

What was his reasoning for not wanting to come watch his daughter? I understand gymnastics might not be everyone's thing, but can't even imagine my husband not wanting to come watch his kids compete, perform, or what ever they want to do. Just curious what he could say to make that ok...

His only reasoning was that he wasn't into gymnastics, and to be honest his lack of supporting what his kids did was part of the reasoning for our divorce amongst other things. Oldest son's soccer, I coached, he never went to a game, he would go to his baseball games because he was an assistant coach. Youngest son's soccer, I reffed, he never went to a game. When the kids skype with their dad, he hasn't lived in the same town as them in 3 years (his choice, I moved across country so the kids would be remotely closer to him) and when they skype with him they don't even bother bringing up what they are doing in sports because he has never supported or encouraged them in it.

You must be in AL- this state shuts down for Football! If a meet falls on a game day, there is always a TV somewhere at the meet, with a crowd of dads around it lol. I've even heard them announce Football scores between rotations.
We are in another SEC state- we have also had score announcements between rotations. :D

well...my opinion is that you Tivo/DVR events which involve people not of your family. if it's family, you go to the live event.:)

I guess it's been so long I don't even see it as picking and choosing - I mean I've seen a gazillion soccer games (now I wouldn't miss a college game of my son's that was localish, but that is more of a rare occurrence, there are only so many that are easily attended, and we travel for a few bigger ones.), I've see enough gym meets. Now I will say that my daughter would rather have me attend, if it came down to who can go, than DH - not because she doesn't want him there, but it seems to have become more of our thing together, and I will be more inclined to go out with the team afterwards since I am more social :)

As far as grandkids, well, I am one of 9, and there are lots of grandkids (we have a couple greats already) and have been lots of sports, music and shows that my mom has attended. Honestly I think she is at the point where she can do with out! Sometimes my brother will come to a meet if it's near his house -easier for him, his kids are grown.

MaryRS - I can't imagine missing a meet but Bella is an only child. She's also the only grandchild on both sides so yeah....it gets rather obnoxious. Mom and Dad, maternal grands and paternal grands, sometimes even aunt and uncle and a cousin.

I'm so grateful that I don't have to pick and choose. It would be so hard.

A lot of families in our gym will just split kids. So mom goes to this activity and dad goes to this one. They make it work.

My dh goes to just about all the meets. He skipped a few and we decided to make it a girls weekend and went with another mom and daugther. Dh has been known to have his headphones on during a big game too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back