Men more friendly than the women at VISA?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I do think that it's an age thing as in girls are started very young in the sport- and hopefuls are picked out from the crowd very young, at 3 and 4 even. Girls are trained for competition right from the start, and it's all they know.

Boys on the other hand, often start later, as many parents don't see gymnastics as a boy thing, and it's only when their talent becomes more obvious. In general, they also have a longer career, so the pressure to reach a certain goal by a certain age is lessened, and it's less about reaching goals early on.

So boys competition is a more relaxed affair, and they can afford to be pleased for teammates, as they may be competing for two or three olympics so there's more than likely a next time. For girls the clock ticks faster and they think now may be their only chance...

Agree...this is true about the "clock ticking"...but is it the kids feeling the pressure?...or the coaches and parents feeling the pressure? Do we need to be putting Olympic pressure on a gymnast at age 3 or 4? Is all of this "pressure" creating a somewhat corrosive environment in women's gymnastics at the lower levels?

I keep saying "at the lower levels"...because I see less of it at the optional levels.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back