WAG Mihai Brestyan leaving for Australia?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wonder if he really knows what he is getting himself into. Gymnastics in Australia is very, very different to gymnastics in the USA. I would not call this a promotion.

The Gymnastics Australia press release said he was starting immediately then went on to say that he would be in this country for the next ten days. To me that suggests that he may not be planning to move here for the job. Or at least not quite yet.

Serious excitement if social media is any indicator.

Everyone was shocked and deflated when the girls just missed out on qualifying for Rio. Elite sport funding here is linked to success so the better a sport does the more they get. Missing out on Rio was a real blow in more ways than one. The fact that GA has secured someone with such an amazing reputation, whether or not he relocates, provides real hope for the future.

Serious excitement if social media is any indicator.

Everyone was shocked and deflated when the girls just missed out on qualifying for Rio.

Anyone who half watched international competitions was not shocked by this result, and GA certainly played to the masses thinking this way. Many people wanted Peggy gone a long time ago and some of the comments from prominent gymnasts (past and current) seem to suggest that they are very happy with this change.

The Gymnastics Australia press release said he was starting immediately then went on to say that he would be in this country for the next ten days. To me that suggests that he may not be planning to move here for the job. Or at least not quite yet.

Well that's a blow for his gym here for sure, especially with him gone already.....as level 9 and 10 states is in 2 weeks....

Anyone who half watched international competitions was not shocked by this result, and GA certainly played to the masses thinking this way. Many people wanted Peggy gone a long time ago and some of the comments from prominent gymnasts (past and current) seem to suggest that they are very happy with this change.

This is true but I think that knowing what is likely to happen and being shocked when it actually happens are not mutually exclusive. There is always the hope that the underdogs will get it together on the day.

I have seen some of the Facebook posts from our current crop of internationals. Their excitement is great to see.

That's a little crazy! I'm thinking that there will be some girls leaving after this. Hopefully DD's gym doesn't get too crowded :cool:
i'm hearing our gym is getting inquiries already. we are a crowded gym already and need a bigger space.

If he is the owner and someone manages the gym for him, perhaps there is no concern.
If he is the manager, someone has to run the business; potentially there won't be a sight of him for a long time. Obviously his interests are somewhere else.
Is Aly his biggest and only accomplishment lately? What is his involvement extend?

If he is the owner and someone manages the gym for him, perhaps there is no concern.
If he is the manager, someone has to run the business; potentially there won't be a sight of him for a long time. Obviously his interests are somewhere else.
Is Aly his biggest and only accomplishment lately? What is his involvement extend?

Mihai is a one man show so there's no "manager" ....

And Aly is his biggest accomplishment as a Gold medal winning Olympian in back to back Olympics but before Aly, he had Alicia Sacramone, and she went to the Beijing Olympics...his real interest is the Olympics and getting there and fortunately for him, he's been to the last 3...not too shabby...the JO program has always been second fiddle ...

It's kind of amusing that people are looking to change gyms now because unless it closes, it won't be much different because he's gone a lot as a rule...

this was my thought as well. i don't think he's there every single day coaching every single kid. and he definitely wasn't around during the olympics.

one mom who used to be there, but moved her dd to our gym a couple of years ago told me that, with her experience, parents at Brestyans think their kid is going to the olympics. so if he leaves, those parents may look elsewhere for their olympic dreams. i will say they are the only elite gym that i know of in the area. so i don't know where the elite girls or those elite hopefuls would go.

17021440_1215089891872941_316688111770536981_n.jpg

Apparently he has already started, here he is in his Australian coaching gear, working in the gym today.

Mihai is a one man show so there's no "manager" ....

Bookworm... What does Silvia do in/around the gym? I know she judges a fair bit, but is she involved with the coaching on a day to day basis? I am guessing Mihai is in Australia for the next 10 days to lay some ground work for a move and then he will go home - tidy up loose ends. I really cant see a coach making that 'commute' once a month. Hopefully he will be back in time for states.

As others have indicated he is not in the gym coaching the majority of the gym population anyway. I am sure last year he was away for a lot of the year with Aly between camps and competitions. I guess those making calls are preparing for the worst/ not that happy anyway or realize the small glimmer of hope that the superstar coach would take on their superstar susie has gone.

i'm hearing our gym is getting inquiries already. we are a crowded gym already and need a bigger space.

Great, just in time for us to start trying to find a gym for my DD down that way in preparation for our move to MA. Argh!

Great, just in time for us to start trying to find a gym for my DD down that way in preparation for our move to MA. Argh!

Probably, as Bookworm said earlier, not going to be a flood of gymnasts leaving. I asked at our MetroWest Boston-area gym if they've been getting calls and got a laughing "No, that program is well in place and most kids will stay put," response.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back