Parents Mock Meet Report - Mtbmom & NettyinPA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,

Well we had our mock meet. Netty's DD is level 6, mine is level 5.

Well....

Kay was AMAZING!!! :jaw-dropping:

Apparently, she's one of those kids who seems to struggle in practice and then is flying for competition.

It was fantastic to see her finally do well. Last year she went from Devo level 1/2 to 4 in 6 months and really struggled.

This year until this week she was still having trouble with FHS back ext roll to handstand, ROBHSBHS on floor; kip, squat on jump to high bar on bars; getting over the table on vault; and a head case on beam (split beam 2 months ago and lots of stressors at home due to my Mom's illness). Well, today for the meet...

We started on beam; she got her cartwheel (which she's been balking on) Hand stand (which she's been balking on) and an otherwise pretty clean routine...

Next Vault: She took the 2/10 deduction for a spot, but really jumped well off the springboard;

Floor: She had every skill (always room for improvement) but she had every skill! This is an absolute first.

I was sooooo happy. This kid is such a hard worker and has fought so hard for her gymnastics. All the other parents were coming up to me asking, "who is that kid?!" She really reached down and pulled an amazing meet out. She really loves to perform and I am sooooo happy for her.

Can't wait for her first real level 5 meet, Dec. 6th.. Such a change from last year where we still didn't have all our skills by the end of the season.

Well, hopefully Netty will be able to chime in here soon. I couldn't really watch her DD since they were running the 5's and 6's simultaneously.

Thanks everyone as always for all your support.

Sue Z

Last edited:
Glad she knows how to do her best at meets!! That is a great thing to be able to do. Still lots of time until her first meet to work on little things and get her newly aquired skills more solid. Can't wait to start hearing everyone's meet reports that hasn't had meets yet. :D Congrats to Kay!!

YEAH! GREAT JOB! Glad you were able to finally compete, LOL, you both have been waiting for so long. My DD is also one that sometimes really steps it up at competition time. Not the best on the team, but somehow her carefree attitude (too carefree sometimes) allows her to perform without the stess others have. What a proud mama you must have been when others were asking "whose that kid?" I love momments like those! Sounds like she's off to a great season! Yeahhhhhhhhh!

Tell Netty to hurry up with her report, LOL

Glad she had a great meet. It sounds like she has really been working hard. Can't wait to hear about the next meet !!

Thanks everyone. She is sooo excited.

Hmmm... I just woke up & see Netty hasn't posted. Wonder where she is? Hope we here from her soon.

Sue Z.

Good job...I just noticed the smily.

I am glad amber is not the only child who struggles in practice and then nails it at competition. We are at a new gym and after the first competition the other parents told all the upper level parents..you should see amber compete she is so much better at competition. Go figure

FYI: Netty is right next to me and has not posted yet. I will harass her enthusiastically. :fryingpan:

Sue Z.

FYI: Netty is right next to me and has not posted yet. I will harass her enthusiastically. :fryingpan:

Sue Z.

Okay Sue, thanks for the harassment! :) I'm so glad that Kayla did so well yesterday. Olivia had a very good mock-meet as well. The coaches kept their score/comment sheets. They're going to review them during the week and on Saturday after practice, we're having a little party at the gym and they're going to go over them and we will get copies. The one coach said all the girls did very well and, believe it or not, based on the scores, they all would've qualified for sectionals!! I must say that I was very proud of all of them.

They started on vault. The whole team with the exception of 1 or 2 of them struggles with this. So, imagine my surprise when they all got over the table with no spot! Well, I realized later that they lowered the table!! Ah-ha! No wonder!! :rolleyes:

Next up was beam. I knew it would be rough for her. But, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. She actually did her BWO but she fell, but her feet touched first! Her coach was standing there but didn't touch her, so no deduction for the spot. Yeah! The rest of it was beautiful. She's still working on holding her dismount longer but she did it.

Next was bars. She's really come a long way on this. While she may need to get her casts a bit higher, and work on the connection between the kip up to the squat on, she's got it pretty well down. And, she stuck her landing! If only that could happen at every meet!

Last was floor. She has all her skills on this and did a great job. Her only real trouble spot are the skills she needs to have straighter arms, like the back extension roll and the back walkover. I think she did well.

We'll see what the scores say this Saturday. I'm getting anxious to see them.

Sue, thanks for the nudge!!

Hey Netty,

Sounds like Olivia did really well. We are not going to see our scores. I don't get ice cream man and I never will. But, we look forward to Olympia & George next year!

Sounds like a great first meet! Glad she really pours it on at a meet :)

Hey, nothing wrong with lowering the table on vault--if the girls struggled getting over it at the higher setting, maybe it was TOO high! Glad she had a good meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back