More gym hours!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
One of my major complaints about our gym has been the low # of hours, though I must say that my husband still thinks that our dd is overscheduled with the number of hours she currently has (6 hours @ level 5). But regardless, I just got a call from the HC saying that we're now going to have open gym on Saturdays for an hour and a half. Woo hoo! I don't think the HC was very happy about how our first meet went this weekend. When I told my DD about the open gym, she did a little happy dance.

Only problem with "open gym" is that usually it is not utilized for training...it's just an open gym...play on whatever you want...unless your gym handles this differently than what I have seen at others, it may not be that beneficial. And I agree, it takes practice to make perfect and 6 hours at Level 5 does not hardly seem like enough. Our gym goes M-F, 3 1/2 hours each night.

Our gym goes M-F, 3 1/2 hours each night.

Wow that is alot! Our gym does mandatory 3 days for 3 hours at Level 5 and they can go a 4th day for 3 hours if they want to but it is not required. So my DD goes 3 days usually. So total 9 hours.
As far as open gym, my DD loves it but it is not structured like a practice so she can work on whatever she wants to. However there are no corrections on skills as the coaches have to keep an eye on 20 some kids doing different things!

Last edited:
Yes, we'll see how it goes, but I hope it will be helpful. At this point, we'll take what we can get.
In addition to her 6 hours at the Y, she does an hour shared private lesson (with one other girl) about every other week at a local private gym, plus she takes an Acro class. An extra 1.5 hours in the gym (assuming it's productive time) will hopefully help the team shine a little more when they're up against gyms with nicer equiptment and longer practice schedules.

Glad she will get a little more time. 6 hours isn't much at level 5. Clubs around here vary, 10-16 hours at L5. My DD does 13 hours a week, so she is in the middle.

Everything went great with the "Open Gym" yesterday. While the older girls were allowed to work on what they wanted, when they wanted (only 2 teens showed up) for the younger girls (level 3, 4, and 5) the "open gym" was run just like any other practice. It was very well organized. Yea for an extra 1.5 hours of practice time!

That is great is went so well and glad she is getting the extra hours! DD is L5 and has the same issue as her gym only has 7.5 for L5...L6 is 12 so it will be a big jump when she makes that move.

My dd goes 3 more hours a week as a level 10 than she did as a level 5/6. We were at an elite centered gym on the east coast and she went 24 hours a week as a level 5/6......

wow..... thats alot of hours for a level 5 mpkbt! our level 5s go 12 hours a week and are optinals(7-10) all go 20 hours a week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back