WAG More Practice Time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast4

Hey,
I am in Xcel gold level. My coach has really been pushing for us to go to the extra workouts. We have the option of doing an extra hour on one day or a punch card for extra workouts on other days. Normally we practice 2 hours 2 twice a week which clearly does not seem like enough. Last year I was on the level 4 team so I am going to need a lot of work if I want to get all the elements I need. The problem is that it is kind of expensive to do these extra practices and I don't know if I should tell my parents to pay for them since gymnastics is already super expensive :) My question is do you think these extra practices would be beneficial to do and is 4 hours per week enough by itself? Thanks!! (Yeah kinda a weird question I know:))

Well I think 4 hr a week isn't a lot to get the skills you need--and I do think the extra practices would benefit you. However, I really think you need to have a conversation with your parents about how much it costs (asking versus telling ;-) ). They may very well be fine with paying more, but just didn't want to suggest it for fear of pushing you. Ask away, but if they decide it's unaffordable, then be gracious--as you said, gymnastics is expensive to start with!

I agree with gmt! Here's a little more perspective that I hope will help- as parents we are willing to make a lot of sacrifices as long as our children are passionate and are willing to put in the hard work that comes with the activity. If that describes you, I bet your folks will do whatever they can to support you.

Good luck!

Well I think 4 hr a week isn't a lot to get the skills you need--and I do think the extra practices would benefit you.

That does sound really low. My 5 yr old goes 6 hrs a week on Pre-team. It's also really great you have the maturity and empathy to see it is expensive, and be concerned about the cost to your parents. :)

Well I think 4 hr a week isn't a lot to get the skills you need--and I do think the extra practices would benefit you.

That does sound really low. My 5 yr old goes 6 hrs a week on Pre-team. It's also really great you have the maturity and empathy to see it is expensive, and be concerned about the cost to your parents. :)

This is prep-op, and there are general guidelines for how many hours a week they practice (lower than USAG generally). That being said, if your gym offers the extra practice and your parents say it's ok, then go for it.

I don't know how old you are, but some gyms trade off cleaning parts of the gym or being a student helper for a rec class for a tuition break. Maybe this would be a possibility for you. Try asking at the gym, so if they do, it is something you could present to your parents when asking them...it will show them you are serious about it, and that you are willing to take some responsibility in order to continue.

Thanks everyone! My parents said I could go the extra hour on mondays and i will be able to get a punch card for extra practices when I need it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back