Parents Moving to a new gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

veganmami

Proud Parent
So my DD will be going into her 5th competitive season this year and we recently moved about 2+ hours away from her old gym. She wanted to continue to do gymnastics so I spent some of the summer researching new facilites and we found one that fit. I just wanted to share that it has been a fantastic change!

First off, I was slightly displeased with the old gym. I really didn't feel like she was getting what she needed out of the coaching and that a lot of times she was getting put on the back burner because she's not one to throw new skills right away… she's cautious and it also takes her time to get them. I think the coach got frustrated and would have her work with the younger girls instead of the girls that were on her level. It was frustrating all around for her and me as well. She was going 12 hours a week. The gym really lacked focus. They played games every night. There was a lot of goofing around (IMO). She was not getting the corrections that she needed in her form. She could not stay tight. The HC seemed more into girls just getting skills instead of insuring proper form was being used. I had thought about moving her to another gym, but I wanted to remain loyal to the coach/gym as she had been good to my daughter and family throughout the years. Fast forward to now.

She is going more hours (16) and she has improved ten-fold. She is staying tight. She is now throwing her BHS on beam. She was able to cast to handstand (still needs a lot of work). She is stronger. She is connecting her skills. She is confident and her love for the gym has been restored. This gym and their coaches has helped her so much. They focus on form and not just chucking skills. At this new gym DD was going to repeat level 5 despite going to states last year and was slightly disappointed b/c teammates at her old gym that did not qualify for states were going to move up to 6, but she has been working hard and her coach told her this week that if she steps it up a little more, she might compete 6 this year. She was estatic.

So moral of the story: Change can be good. We can't wait for this competitive season and just wanted to share with all of you our story. :)

Nice to hear a good story of a move, thank you for sharing :) I think about switching gyms sometimes, but my daughter is happy, so I would need a really good reason. My complaints/questions are minimal, so I can't quite justify it at this point.

That's great news! We did a gym switch 6 months ago and have also had great success. We were at our previous gym since my dd was 2 years old and in mommy & me, so it was difficult, but now I wish we'd left earlier.

I'm sure your dd will continue to amaze you with her skills. How exciting!

Veganmami, I am so glad for your DD! It's so nice to hear good news. Your post made me think, did she go to DD's old gym? ( you could have been describing it... Right down to the games every night and the feeling of loyalty.). I moved my DD to another gym ( without relocating) and she has been so happy. She's making new friends and that "spark" is back.

That's awesome! We also recently moved:changed gyms and have a very similar story. I know how good it feels :) I hope your DD gets to compete 6 this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back