Parents My 3 year old bumping up quickly, but what's too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ange, I think you and I discovered in another thread that we have very similar daughters! I'm glad to read your story here.

What our gym does that we love--but if your gym is small they might not do it--is offers open gym during the week. Wednesdays and Thursdays, kids and their caregivers can come and try anything in the gym. We see little baby crawlers, and all the way up to preschoolers and the occasional older homeschoolers. Little A loves getting one on one time with me, getting to go at her pace, and sometimes getting a few minutes of help from the teacher who floats around the gym. It's also a great way for the gym to get new people signing up for classes.

Little A would love more time in the gym. She has her invitation-only class on Mondays, and open gym Wed. and Thurs. Each is an hour long, so three total hours per week.

My husband and I want to encourage her and help her progress in this if she continues to love it. We also want her to make friends. She will presumably start school next year, so the more places she can play with other kids, the better.

Long story short, I'd say keep her hungry for more gym time and try to capitalize on any other interests she has. Little A has been practicing gymnastics skills at home (floor stuff, obviously) that I was surprised but happy to "feed" and "bathe" a doll and draw pictures today. I have to tell myself sometimes, "she is 3.".

And I agree that God worked a miracle in your daughter's body. If you believe he healed her, believe too that he will give you wisdom and equip your family for whatever is to come.

..Ariana was born at 33 weeks we were told she would never sit up, let alone walk. Until age 3 her right side was pretty well limp...she couldn't use it due to a stroke at birth. Now, some how she has full function of her right side doctors have no clue how, but I say God did it.
You must be one proud mama!! congratulations on her progress. I'm sure she is destined to do great things!!

Ange, I think you and I discovered in another thread that we have very similar daughters! I'm glad to read your story here.

What our gym does that we love--but if your gym is small they might not do it--is offers open gym during the week. Wednesdays and Thursdays, kids and their caregivers can come and try anything in the gym. We see little baby crawlers, and all the way up to preschoolers and the occasional older homeschoolers. Little A loves getting one on one time with me, getting to go at her pace, and sometimes getting a few minutes of help from the teacher who floats around the gym. It's also a great way for the gym to get new people signing up for classes.

Little A would love more time in the gym. She has her invitation-only class on Mondays, and open gym Wed. and Thurs. Each is an hour long, so three total hours per week.

My husband and I want to encourage her and help her progress in this if she continues to love it. We also want her to make friends. She will presumably start school next year, so the more places she can play with other kids, the better.

Long story short, I'd say keep her hungry for more gym time and try to capitalize on any other interests she has. Little A has been practicing gymnastics skills at home (floor stuff, obviously) that I was surprised but happy to "feed" and "bathe" a doll and draw pictures today. I have to tell myself sometimes, "she is 3.".

And I agree that God worked a miracle in your daughter's body. If you believe he healed her, believe too that he will give you wisdom and equip your family for whatever is to come.
Yes, we did our daughters are very similar!! Ariana also does gymnastic floor stuff constantly oh and of course the couch is a vault! Our gym doesn't offer open gym and it's a bummer!! I wish they would, I might talk to one of the ladies about starting something like that. :)

"BUT what is too much for a demanding 3 year old??"

First, what a lovely story about your daughter's miraculous physical healing! Thank you for sharing that.

As for what is "too much", only you know your daughter's unique personality, stamina, and interests best. I agree with the posters that said perhaps space the class and private lesson out over the week, instead of both on the same day if you have that option. One more class or private a week (if you are happy with how everything is run and you can afford it easily) is probably just fine if your daughter doesn't show signs of fatigue/grumpiness/moodiness.

However, be confident that NOT adding another class isn't hampering her future outlook for success and progression. At 3 to 4, she doesn't need to be doing any crazy skill building. Good age-appropriate conditioning (strength, endurance, flexibility) and repeating simple skills with increasingly good form (forward rolls, handstands and such), presented in a FUN way are what you should be looking for. And that sounds like what you're getting. Maybe the gym is looking for money for privates, and maybe not, but if you have the money and your daughter is having fun, then do what you fits your schedule and feels right.

Enjoy the journey! It is very magical to watch your child learn and grow in something they love.

"BUT what is too much for a demanding 3 year old??"

First, what a lovely story about your daughter's miraculous physical healing! Thank you for sharing that.

As for what is "too much", only you know your daughter's unique personality, stamina, and interests best. I agree with the posters that said perhaps space the class and private lesson out over the week, instead of both on the same day if you have that option. One more class or private a week (if you are happy with how everything is run and you can afford it easily) is probably just fine if your daughter doesn't show signs of fatigue/grumpiness/moodiness.

However, be confident that NOT adding another class isn't hampering her future outlook for success and progression. At 3 to 4, she doesn't need to be doing any crazy skill building. Good age-appropriate conditioning (strength, endurance, flexibility) and repeating simple skills with increasingly good form (forward rolls, handstands and such), presented in a FUN way are what you should be looking for. And that sounds like what you're getting. Maybe the gym is looking for money for privates, and maybe not, but if you have the money and your daughter is having fun, then do what you fits your schedule and feels right.

Enjoy the journey! It is very magical to watch your child learn and grow in something they love.
Thank you! As of right now we don't have a choice on changing the day..once the other two private coaches come back from maternity leaves we can switch the days. I really want to keep the same private coach since her and my daughter already have a bond. I think for right now we will stay with her class and one private. I'm watching her grow and get stronger each week, and I agree on she doesn't need to be doing anything crazy lol. Thank you!

Hi :) I am glad your girl enjoys gymnastics so much :)
To your question when it's too much - the line between " right amount " and "too much of gymnastics" can be very thin. It is not clear sometimes. At this young age any child likes to be played with :) but to pay $20 for 30 mins to someone just to play with your child in my opinion is a bit too much. I know it may be somewhat gymnastics related but still. When I see young 4 year olds at privates my first reaction is "what are the parents thinking? And why?". They probably have good reasons like you but it looks strange from another person's view when they watch their child in the class and there is a private training with a 3-4 year old baby. It's just strange to see. So to your question it can be fine but you have to keep in mind right now it's fun fun fun. But very soon it will become hard hard hard. Just play by the ear. Also keep in mind that soon it will be hard hard hard and it will be hard on child's little wrist joins, spine, knees.
Gymnastics clubs love parents who pay tons of money for privates - probably more so when the child is little - it becomes easy money for coaches. But when the child overtrains and the body gets hurt - those coaches will not be responsible at all. It's your job to listen to ques of a child sometimes. Just be careful and be wise. Noone can tell if it's too much but you. :)

Privates would not be offered at all at our gym until at least twice that age and on a different level entirely ( team or possibly our gold rec class). Our gym does have plenty of classes for preschoolers though, as well as open gym. Generally at 3-4 we don't encourage them to take more classes but instead do open gym or other activities. Plenty of time to do more gymnastics when they're a bit older!

I think adding dance on top of a gymnastic class would be a little much...more than a private actually. Since here the dance classes are over an hour and she hates it.

Here you have pointed out something important developmentally. She is just barely 4 years old and is not ready for longer classes that require more focus. Honestly, at this age the most important thing might be getting her in a quality preschool program (if she isn't already) and/or other developmentally appropriate activities, such as a music class or a well-run pre-ballet class. This will help her learn to pay attention and follow rules, which will help her out in a year or so when she is ready for the next level of gymnastics. It would also give her something else to look forward to during those 6 long gymnastics-free days each week.

You mentioned that your town is small and the parks don't offer much. How about talking to the gym about starting an "open gym" time for preschoolers and caregivers to come in and play? The gym can make some money off of it and kids can play together.

Is there not a way to delete a thread here?? I'm starting to not even like this place...so many negative people...I first off wasn't asking opinions about her current private or her class nor her age. I was asking about adding another private..not dance, not preschool, not anything like that...been in this group for a day and pretty well turned off very quickly...

Of course there is a way to delete a thread. You just have to ask a mod.

The tough thing about forums, especially ones like the CB that are filled with members with tons of experience is that you get all kinds of input.

The awesome thing about forums is that people with years of experience are happy to share their journeys, thought, ideas and knowledge.

The best thing is to learn to filter out the responses that you do not like and absorb the ones that resonate with you. Forums are places for people to share and learn, but with that comes opinions, opinions you love, opinions you hate and frankly opinions you wish people had just kept to themselves. But that is what forums are for.

What I know for sure is that we have some of the smartest coaches, parents and judges in the world sharing on the CB daily, it would be a shame to walk away from that because you do not like everybody's opinions.

But that is your call. Just let me know and I will remove the thread.

When you come onto a forum and ask for an opinion, that's What you will get. I personnally have been involved in gymnastics with my children for the last 8 years. Before that I was a gymnast myself, back in the day. I have a lot of experience but still find this site an invaluable rescource full of people way more knowledgable than I.

You adore your daughter, you are imensely proud of your daughter- all as it Should be, however when people who have been in this sport at a high level give sound advice you Should weigh it up Seriously. Gymnastics can make, and can break a child- litterally.

Have fun in gym, but retain the perspective. Its Very easy to get too caught up in our darlings doing all this marvellous stuff and to forget the big picture. And remember that no-one here is being snide or personal, they are just trying to help.

Not when I'm not asking about her private class, her gymnastic class...or even preschool lol...preschool has nothing to do with this...she is 3 and she was premature, we tried the whole school thing last year and the beginning of the year...she gets too sick ends up in the hospital..no thank you...I teach her at home, and we go to playgroups, and gymnastics.

I know how hard it is to ask a question, and get tons of answers that may not be what you were expecting. It is so cool what your daughter is doing. Most of the parents/coaches/gymnasts on here are just sharing what the journey could look like down the road. It is really hard for people to not do that, as we all have lots of experience, ideas, and history to share.

I honestly wish that we would have gotten my son into something at this age in addition to gym. He now does gym 5 days a week, but when he was hurt, and out, it was awful. He had nothing to fall back on. We are fixing that now but as a 3-4 year old, he was so in love with gym, and everything gymnastics that we just ran with it.

good luck! It sounds like you have a lot of fun ahead of you with your little one.

I read each response and saw absolutely no negativity in the responses. Nobody was shouting "run for the hills" and "I just can't believe that you would let your child do x. y or z". I see people who have been there and done that telling you what you could expect in certain situations, since you are new to this sport with your dd. I also saw many acknowledge her love of the sport in a positive way. I am not sure how you are reading into these responses such a negative vibe.

Your original posted question was "what's too much?" I see parents who have been there and done that trying to answer what they felt could be too much. Please stay and realize that this forum has so much to share with new parents, and parents who have been in the sport a long time.

I am sorry you have had your feelings hurt, I really wish I understood what made you feel bad. I actually noticed how many people attempted to acknowledge that they were not trying to be negative in their response.

It's sort of the nature of the beast with message boards. When you put yourself out there, it's inevitable that you will get lots of opinions. I haven't always been thrilled with the feedback I sometimes get, but this message board is one if the kindest ones. It does seem like there are a lot of knowledgeable btdt folks on here too, as well as coaches etc.

I have a 6 yr old daughter on team and a 3 yr old daughter in rec classes. Believe me, I know how easy it is to get caught up when you hear your daughter has talent. My 6 yr old is only level 1, and I am just overwhelmed with how demanding and nuanced this sport is. I had no idea.

I personally wouldn't put my 3 yr old in privates at all. I love the idea of open gym time if she is wanting more gym play time. But financially, privates for a 3 yr old would be a waste for our family. We did put my 6 yr old in a couple of privates last year, but that was bc she aged out of the preschool group and they had nothing else to offer her until team tryouts. It was crazy $$$. And I think it is wonderful advice to try other activities bc if she goes the gymnastics team route, she won't have time for anything else. I hope this helps!

Not when I'm not asking about her private class, her gymnastic class...or even preschool lol...preschool has nothing to do with this...she is 3 and she was premature, we tried the whole school thing last year and the beginning of the year...she gets too sick ends up in the hospital..no thank you...I teach her at home, and we go to playgroups, and gymnastics.

You mentioned that she was getting sick a lot being in school. Just like schools, the gyms are very germy places and no matter how clean (or dirty) the gym may be kept, it is a germ factory. Since she was premature, I have no idea if she has a compromised immune system or not, so I wanted to mention it. I know you didn't ask about that, but thought I would mention it just the same. I do my best to keep my kiddos healthy but the gym just keeps introducing them to a host of childhood crud:)

I agree about privates for a 3 year old being a bit much....and wonder why they do it?

Out of curiosity, is it a large gym? Competitive in your area? Or are they the only option around?

Do they compete through Level 10? Do they have a large competitive team?

I just wonder why they would do privates for a three year old but not for everyone?

I would just want to be clear on the goal on why they off privates somewhat selectively. Is it only about money or are they trying to support growth of the gymnast. If that's the case, then it seems they would offer to all??

Our gym doesn't do privates until optionals so for me it is mind boggling to think about a 3-year-old getting privates. I am sorry that you feel like there a lot of negative responses. This site really is wonderful though. I have learned so much and avoided some serious mistakes with my own DD because of all the information more experienced gym parents are willing to share.

My DD is only 7 and when she started gym a year and a half ago we went from 1 day a week, to 2 days a week, to team and her training 12 hours a week in a short 3 month period. It was a whirlwind and I am not sure I would of survived our first year of competition without all of these wonderful people. Even though I don't post much, I read and research on here a lot.

6 months ago I didn't even know what a kip was. I would probably be freaking out and stressing my daughter out over the fact that at this point it is still eluding her if I hadn't read all the loads of advice on here.

As for your original question: Is it too much? Only you can really answer that for your child. But I will caution you that gymnastics is a long road. If you forsee a competitive future for your daughter I would gently suggest taking a step back and just letting it play out. Expose her to other things. I would not make her whole world gymnastics at 3-years-old, because if her passion for it stays it will be her whole world soon enough.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back