Parents My 3 year old bumping up quickly, but what's too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariana's_Mommy

Proud Parent
Hi, I'm new here. My name is Ange and my daughter's name is Ariana she is 3 almost 4 in December. She started gymnastics in August of this year. She goes once a week. The first time we went they bumped her the first day from parent and tot class 2-4 to tumble tots 3-5. She only stayed in that class for a month until they bumped her to dynamites a 4-5 year old class...all 5's except Ariana that is 3. She has now taken on a private class for the last few weeks..she is doing things that I thought would take awhile for her to do, but yet surprises me each time. So, on Wednesdays she has her Dynamite class at 11:15 and then private at 4:15 spaced out pretty good. The private classes are slim to none due to private coaches having babies all at the same time, but we love her private coach! They are now talking about Ariana joining in Level 1 competition and she is learning the routines now. Ariana loves it and she would sleep there if she could! She never wants to leave, she is constantly watching gymnastics on youtube, practicing her routines and other basic skills all day long. She recently asked if she could see her private coach more...won't use her name for privacy reasons. BUT what is too much for a demanding 3 year old?? She loves it, she's good at it, and I don't want to stop her. We can afford it, but I don't want to over work her. A little back history also which makes this even more amazing..Ariana was born at 33 weeks we were told she would never sit up, let alone walk. Until age 3 her right side was pretty well limp...she couldn't use it due to a stroke at birth. Now, some how she has full function of her right side doctors have no clue how, but I say God did it. Her gymnastic coaches say she is weaker on that side, but she doesn't let that slow her down, and she's getting stronger every week. I just need advice. I was never allowed to do extra curricular activities as a kid, so I'm a little worried about giving her too much to handle even if she's asking for it. I thought about a 2nd private maybe after Christmas when she is 4. Please only positive comments. Thanks.

Awww sounds like she is doing well and having a lot of fun, but is private classes on top of her normal classes necessary at a young age? Does your dd take any dance classes? If not have you considered adding a ballet class instead of private gym class as ballet complements gym and will help her artistic side as she grows up, my dd (she is 9 and has just had her first disability competition after starting gym in August) started ballet lessons in September to compliment her gymnastics and it paid off, she got 2 bronze medals and a silver medal in all the pieces she competed in this past weekend.

I know it is tempting to add more gymnastics classes but is it necessary as it could lead to burn out at a young age. I hope it didn't sound negative as it wasn't my intention to sound that way.

We haven't started a dance class yet, she has no interest in them right now, that's why we went with a private class. The private is only 30 minutes and she finds it fun and it's one on one with her...she learns more in the private class than she does in the invitation class only that she has during the day. I plan on starting a dance class sometime after Christmas not sure when, but it will be there eventually.

I agree, private classes at this age sounds a bit too much. Did they recommend she takes private to catch up with the rest of the girls in her new group, or was it your choice?

It was my choice, the new class she's in is an invitation only and she is already at their level. A private class is not the issue, she's wanting more classes that is the issue. So, I don't know why everybody wants to say the private is a bit much, when it's not. It's 30 minutes and she loves it...

I would take her to the private if she is asking for it and you can afford it. Does she only have the 1 regular class? I think if that is the only thing she has going on during her entire week it is not too much. If she were taking 2 or more classes and also the private than it may be too taxing for a 3 year old. Remember that at this age it should be all fun. If she shows signs of it not being the best thing in the world than maybe back off a little. The last thing you want is for gymnastics to become work at this age! Good luck, it sounds like you have a little fighter!

I don't have experience of private gymnastics classes, my dd has never had one and she didn't take up gym until later, but I know at that age she would have enjoyed any one on one sessions as much for the focused attention of an adult on her and her alone. That might not be something you want to over encourage from the outset as a big part of the gymnastics experience. If she progresses she will need to spend more time in mixed classes which are not all about her, and will not get all of the coaches attention.

It sounds as though she is doing great and progressing quickly. At her age I would keep the emphasis the fun side of things and not the progress. Would it be possible for her to have another group class for the social side of it, rather than another one on one which focuses on skills?

I think you need to be careful to not let her get burnt out being so focused on one sport at such a young age. There is really no need for her to move at such at fast pace. You can't even compete as a level 3 until you are 6 years old. My daughter was exactly like yours as a preschooler. Unfortunately if they move too fast, they can get fearful of skills too soon as the skills get much harder. Our gym would never let a rec kid do privates. They hardly will allow them for the team kids. Privates are used to help a kid master technique and conquer fear.
That is great that she is doing so well after an early birth and stroke. I have a child born at 26 weeks and is now 9 years old. I know it is very exciting to see them do so well after such a rough start in life.

It was my choice, the new class she's in is an invitation only and she is already at their level. A private class is not the issue, she's wanting more classes that is the issue. So, I don't know why everybody wants to say the private is a bit much, when it's not. It's 30 minutes and she loves it...

I think people are saying privates might be a bit much at this age because In general, most gymnasts use private lessons occasionally to help get a skill or polish a routine for competition, not as a regular supplement to gym.

I agree with finding a fun dance class to put her in if she wants more to do. She's a preschooler. Take her to the playground and let her climb the monkey bars with her friends. If she continues to love gym and progress, there will be lots of time for extra classes.

She sounds like a little firecracker, a lot like my dd at that age. We tried ballet and she hated it. She found it so boring, not enough running and jumping, lol.

My 4 year old dd goes twice a week for an hour so I think what yours is doing sounds about right to me. I personally don't want mine to get burned out so will likely hold out having her move to the 1.5 hour class until she is 5. (She's on the preteam 3-4 year old class right now). Anyway as long as she's having fun I think that's all that really matters. Good luck deciding!

It's great that your little one is doing so well after a rough start to life! I am mom to a 29 weeker (twin) and now she just turned 13 and training level 10, so I "get" the excitement :)

With that said, I would encourage different activities rather than privates, even though your DD loves gymnastics and wants more, more, more. At 3 the focus should be on fun rather than skills and there are much more qualified people here (coaches) who will caution about doing certain skills that a little body is not physically/physiologically prepared for.

I understand what everybody is saying...and I'm understanding what privates you are all talking about...with that being said. Her private is only 30 minutes and they seriously play, and use the time to practice the big beam...since in the invitation only class they rarely do beam, and Ariana eyes it like there's no tomorrow ;) She is only in the gym a total of an hour and 15 minutes a week. Also, there is a huge play area that she hangs out with her little friends afterwards..we live in a very small town and parks are not like they should lol...they consist of a slide and some swings that is it. I think adding dance on top of a gymnastic class would be a little much...more than a private actually. Since here the dance classes are over an hour and she hates it. So, we do a gymnastic and a private. That I don't have a problem with...now the 2nd private that she is demanding that is where I was asking about...NOT her current schedule. So, we will stick to her current schedule and if she ever feels that it's too much or not fun any more then we will change it. Right now she's begging to go and see her coach...why would I keep her from that?

I don't have experience of private gymnastics classes, my dd has never had one and she didn't take up gym until later, but I know at that age she would have enjoyed any one on one sessions as much for the focused attention of an adult on her and her alone. That might not be something you want to over encourage from the outset as a big part of the gymnastics experience. If she progresses she will need to spend more time in mixed classes which are not all about her, and will not get all of the coaches attention.

It sounds as though she is doing great and progressing quickly. At her age I would keep the emphasis the fun side of things and not the progress. Would it be possible for her to have another group class for the social side of it, rather than another one on one which focuses on skills?
That's the thing..there are no other classes...we live in a small town..if you want more gym time you have to do privates..but the privates aren't like everywhere else either. More of play and learn type thing. She's not the only one this young doing them either at our gym..I have been told Ariana is more advanced than their other privates, but I'm not wanting to move her up yet again so quickly.

I would take her to the private if she is asking for it and you can afford it. Does she only have the 1 regular class? I think if that is the only thing she has going on during her entire week it is not too much. If she were taking 2 or more classes and also the private than it may be too taxing for a 3 year old. Remember that at this age it should be all fun. If she shows signs of it not being the best thing in the world than maybe back off a little. The last thing you want is for gymnastics to become work at this age! Good luck, it sounds like you have a little fighter!
Yes, she only has one gymnastic class 45 minutes and then 1 private class 30 minutes. This is all fun for her, she begs to go and gets so excited..I would never make her do this and was hesitant for the private, but seeing it is a lot of play and learn tactic I like it. :) The 2nd private she's demanding we will hold off on lol.

Is it possible to do the private on a different day than her regular class. 7 days feels like an eternity to a pre-schooler. She might feel like she is going more if her practice times were spaced out a bit. Kipper still wants "more" gym time, and that's the way I like it. I believe there is not reason to worry about burn out if she never quite gets as much as she wants. :) You might want to take the money you were thinking of spending on a 2nd private and start a savings account instead. This sport gets very expensive rapidly after a few years...you may be glad to have that cushion. LOL

Is it possible to do the private on a different day than her regular class. 7 days feels like an eternity to a pre-schooler. She might feel like she is going more if her practice times were spaced out a bit. Kipper still wants "more" gym time, and that's the way I like it. I believe there is not reason to worry about burn out if she never quite gets as much as she wants. :) You might want to take the money you were thinking of spending on a 2nd private and start a savings account instead. This sport gets very expensive rapidly after a few years...you may be glad to have that cushion. LOL
I second this. Having classes broken up during the week definitely helps mine not beg as much or wonder 24/7 when her next class is.

Ok. So my cynical gene is kicking in here.

I am wondering why your gym is willing to do so many privates with such young kids (as yours is not the only 3 year old). Especially when they seem to be limited on weekly class time for this age.

Money? Rather than it being productive for the children?

My own suggestion is if they cannot offer 2 x weekly classes, could you join together with another 2/3/4 children and have a mini class?

I would be very wary of a gym that offers privates to 3 year olds and doesn't offer other classes to them. They are making a lot of money from private when they could easily run an extra class for 3.4.5 year olds. Cha Ching,

If there are no other group classes for her I would try lots of other sports, ballet, tai kwan do, ice skating, art, book club, horseback riding, skiing etc etc. If she has the talent for one sport, she will excel in others. Now is the time to have fun and see what other things she enjoys.

Too much gym too soon is pointless really. Lots of kids start at 6, or later, and end up at the Olympics. Tons of kids start at 3 and burn out by 7.

I think I can safely say that many of our kids started out like yours, the question is by age 16 how many still are?

Ok. So my cynical gene is kicking in here.

I am wondering why your gym is willing to do so many privates with such young kids (as yours is not the only 3 year old). Especially when they seem to be limited on weekly class time for this age.

Money? Rather than it being productive for the children?

My own suggestion is if they cannot offer 2 x weekly classes, could you join together with another 2/3/4 children and have a mini class?

Funny I posted before seeing your post. My thoughts exactly.

I think if she is begging for the second private, then you have her in the right amount of time at the gym, lol. Keep them begging for more. Maybe an occasional second one for a treat would be okay, but not an every week kind of thing. As others have said, keep it fun at that age. It gets real serious, (and real expensive-I know, I have two on team and looking at 18 meets this season-five out of state) real fast in competitive gymnastics. Too much, too soon- they quit. Does your gym offer preschool open gym? Or maybe there is something totally different, like swimming lessons? Anything active and fun can only help her development.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back