WAG My daughter just don't get up this rope! Help a frustrated mother!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

tumblingliz

Hello guys!

My daughter can do 15 hanging leg raises from a free hanging pull-up bar and 8 very good pull-ups.
She can do a straddle hold on floor for about 30 seconds and L-sit for about 15-20.
Is that strong enough for Level 6/7?

The problem is, she just can not get up the rope in a pike positions. When she tries, she feels and also looks like a heavy stone!

What should she do? Is she too weak? More leg raises?

Hope you can help!

If she can do the pull ups and leg raises she is probably strong enough to do it but is using the wrong technique. The key is to keep the arms bent and close to the head and not try to pull herself up froM Straight arms. Small steps with arms well bent.

If she can do the pull ups and leg raises she is probably strong enough to do it but is using the wrong technique. The key is to keep the arms bent and close to the head and not try to pull herself up froM Straight arms. Small steps with arms well bent.

Thanks a lot! She needs to climb a 12ft. rope. So do you think 8-10 pull-ups (deadhang) are fine for the rope climb?
I will tell her next time to try your technique!

Have her try in straddle.

Might not be quite strong enough for legless rope climbs.

Climb up rope with legs, climb down 1/2 way, then try 1/2 way without.

Or more attempts at climbing rope in straddle or pike as high as she can. 5-10 attempts 3x a week with sets of pullups on a bar, any grip for more volume.

Can she do multiple rope climbs with feet in a row? All the way up-down-and repeat without getting off the rope? I recall a gym I trained at as a gymnast had girls do 3 rope climbs w/feet in a row and when they were proficient at that they moved to the arms only rope climbs.

I think it would be better to have her do a bent arm hold, but with her hands one in front if each other, facing to the end if the bar, and hold with one ear towards the bar. Then hold the other side. Then try to walk along the bar.

I only let rec and early developmental use legs unless they are doing rope climbs with feet as assistance volume to pullups or rope climbs.

If they can't climb, they sit under the rope in a straddle, grab as high as they can and pull their butt off the floor for reps. Feet stay on floor if they are real weak.

All of it, and then add pull ups at home before going to bed and before going off to school. You don't have to load up on these occasions because the idea is frequency rather than intensity. If she can do 8 at her best then her number at home should be 6 or 7. Rest every third day.

And remember that all of this advice assumes she wants to make it up the rope so badly that working on her strength is something she really, really, really wants to do.

Just one more idea that kids like doing enough to get them going on "more"......

It requires a rope that is similar to the one they climb in the gym, or a rope smaller diameter rope that has hand hold loops tied along the length of the rope.

Anchor the rope by tying it to a safe and heavy piece of furniture that is clear of any objects that may fall and cause injury.

Laying on her back she can pull herself along the length of the rope as she slides across the floor without pausing between arm pulls. So keeping momentum and learning to take advantage of a rhythm.

A wood floor is great for this, but a carpeted surface can be modified with a plastic or poly tarp that is held in place to keep her from dragging it along..... or cut generous arm and leg holes in a large plastic trash bag that can be worn to get her sliding more easily.

Watch out for static electricity if she works on a carpeted surface. A very fine mist of water or steam from a vaporizer may be enough to
control the static attraction and keep her from lighting up like a fire fly as she ouches.... errrr inches her her way along.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back