WAG Need Help from a gymnast....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
I am trying to understand something... Tkatchev's (reverse hetchs) on bars... DD is learning them but she is sooooooo inconsistent with it. Is this normal? Any suggestions??

Sorry not a gymnast, nor near release moves with my kid. But my experience in gymnastics and other things. That learning goes like this, you can't do something, then you can but not correctly all the time (inconsistent), you get better (more consistent), then you can do it (consistently and rarely a miss).

It's a tough skill and takes a long time to get consistently. Even marginal growth can throw it off. I've seen that one come and go with a couple of my son's teammates. In time it will come and stay. As long as she's being coached properly on technique and isn't periodically slamming her feet into the bar and developing fears as a result, the only real prescription is patience.

Release moves often take a very long time to become consistent. For my dd it was about a year from her first catch to being very consistent.

Release moves are scary for even me, and I'm nearing 30, have 25 years of gymnastics under my belt, and specifically coach bars (and tumbling, but that's a whole different set of fears). So yes, 100% normal. It's frustrating, too, which can make it even harder. I'm assuming her coach knows what s/he is doing and so I'm hesitant to say this, but.... I read Simone Biles' book and she talks about struggling on tkachevs for ages, until Lexie Priessman gave her the tip of letting go of the bar when it feels a tiny bit too soon. I tried it out and tested it out on a few of my girls training that skill and it works quite well. HOWEVER, I'm not her coach and don't want to overstep, just tossing that out there.

If it's mental and she's getting discouraged, I seriously recommend reading Simone's book. Just knowing at arguably the best gymnast of our time struggled and overcame the same obstacle can boost confidence.

(Note: I swear I'm not trying to promote/advertise the book, I'm just a coach who found a good amount of helpful things in it!)

Sorry not a gymnast, nor near release moves with my kid. But my experience in gymnastics and other things. That learning goes like this, you can't do something, then you can but not correctly all the time (inconsistent), you get better (more consistent), then you can do it (consistently and rarely a miss).
I’d like to add to this (at least my DD’s experience).

After you have it, and it starts to look pretty good, you have a brain fart and you loose it.

Then you cry out of frustration bc your brain gets in the way of your body.

Then you stress bc your meet is XXX days away.

Then one day it clicks, again. Until you have a growth spurt, then repeat.

:confused:o_O:(:eek::D

Yes
I’d like to add to this (at least my DD’s experience).

After you have it, and it starts to look pretty good, you have a brain fart and you loose it.

Then you cry out of frustration bc your brain gets in the way of your body.

Then you stress bc your meet is XXX days away.

Then one day it clicks, again. Until you have a growth spurt, then repeat.

:confused:o_O:(:eek::D
My kids pattern is get it, lose it, get it, lose it, then get it and it hangs around but needs work to get to where she is REALLY getting it.
Get it?:D

I am trying to understand something... Tkatchev's (reverse hetchs) on bars... DD is learning them but she is sooooooo inconsistent with it. Is this normal? Any suggestions??

why a gymnast? a Tkatchev is one of the most temperamental skills in gymnastics. yes, it is normal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back