need help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sally

Proud Parent
My dd has a comp coming up in less then 2 weeks. They have had a change in coach, and we just found out that the old coach had taught the routine wrong. So yesterday when my dd was coached the new routine, there is a pike forward roll and and they need to stand up with straight legs. My dd or anybody in the group has never been shown how to do this. Is there anyway of teaching her, we spent a good 1 hr at home today trying to do it, and she is not even getting close to standing up, she gets half way then falls back down. She is very upset about the whole thing, as she was getting ready to move up to the next level as she has all the other skills. I feel very sorry for her, as I believe the coach should have been teaching the group this since it is apart of their skill. Anyway any adivce would be great, not sure if she will get it in such a short time.
thanks

She needs to compress her chest very close to the legs in order to get it. If she sits up only to 90 degrees and tries it will not work. I would tell her to try to keep her nose to her knees and go into another roll after it. She should also make sure to push from her hands. It is important to stay compressed throughout the roll since if the legs drop down she will probably lose too much momentum at this stage. The key is to stay in the pike position and fall forward leading with the bottom almost like her shoulders are going to go back where her feet were, and then stay in the pike coming up (bottom leads again).

Edit: also often the problem with the kids trying to get more momentum, running etc is that increased momentum makes the legs drop away from the body fast. If you have kids do a pike forward roll and land on their back (don't try to stand up) and tell them to keep their legs as close to their body as possible, at first a lot of kids will have the legs fall away until they understand how tight they have to keep their muscles to stop this.

Last edited:
I remember when my daughter was learning this, her coach used to say "and the rear takes the lead..." My daughter used to say it to when she would practice the skill in our family room. It would CRACK ME UP.

Don't worry too much. It's not surprising your daughter wouldn't get it on the first day as it is different from what she has been taught before, but I'm sure with her new coach that she'll get the hange of it.

Another thing worth mentioning is her hand placement. Lots of kids try to put their hands by their hips to stand up from a pike, that's not a far enough reach. I usually tell gymnasts to reach for their ankles to stand. They don't typically reach that far, but it keeps them compressed which is the real goal. I've seen really nice pike forward rolls with hands placed anywhere from the knees to alongside the calves. I usually teach these going downhill on a wedge at first.

I've never taught these with a run, but I find a handstand to a forward roll pike stand flows very nicely. It gives them a boost in momentum that they can still control very easily.

thank you everybody. Just an update, we were practising at home and I told her about the nose onto the knee with getting her hands down quick, and that has seemed to do the trick. She can do it know, it took her 3 days, so thank you for your adviced, and now she is ready for her first ever comp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back