WAG New Code Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My dd had a training camp after Gymnix and when I was asking about what she did there, one of the things is that they said with the new code they have to dance into a tumbling line. Any idea if this is the new FIG code or if this is possibly part of the changes to something within Canada?

It is a FIG change, but as Canada's code is based on FIG that is probably why the girls are being told this.

Watch a few of the women's floor routines from the American Cup, you'll notice many of them do some pretty awkward "flamingo" stand type things in the corner (and other ridiculous stuff) to work with this new ruling. While I hate girls standing in the corner excessively as much as the next person, I think we might see some pretty ridiculous stuff as a result of this :rolleyes:.

Can anyone explain what that means in a little more detail? And what will it mean to girls in JO who keep floor routines for 2 years and just got one this past season?

It should not affect JO USAG routines. Just Elite routines in the USA and in other countries who use FIG as the basis for their programs.

I think I'd rather see them dance into the corner and finish whatever element, arm work, or isolation as they back up, turn, or whatever they have to do to face the right direction for their tumble run. The 3-6 second breather break has worn out it's welcome and watered down the art of the event. It didn't used, wait a second while I do some 5 second slow motion arm wave, t be that way, and the coaches that have to train to the "new" standard will adapt.

It's either this change now, or getting used to level 3 kids spending 5 seconds in the corner catching their breath and composing themselves as they get completely ready.

So yeah, maybe it will take a bit of adjusting as coaches and gymnasts figure how to incorporate "dance to the pass", but it will get done and look better than what's happening now. Well, unless they use that pose on one foot thing like Daniel LaRusso did as he posed/poised, ready to deliver the winning blow in the first Karate Kid movie. :D

It should not affect JO USAG routines. Just Elite routines in the USA and in other countries who use FIG as the basis for their programs.

can't be sure on that. a lot of what USAG does with the JO program comes from Elite rules. since many of the Elites come from the JO program they may make this change at some point so things are practiced longer than first being met with this if they get to the Elite level.

and for reference, Amanda Borden did this in 1993. last pass. Amanda Borden - Floor Exercise - 1993 U.S. Gymnastics Championships - Women - All Around - YouTube

can't be sure on that. a lot of what USAG does with the JO program comes from Elite rules. since many of the Elites come from the JO program they may make this change at some point so things are practiced longer than first being met with this if they get to the Elite level.

and for reference, Amanda Borden did this in 1993. last pass. Amanda Borden - Floor Exercise - 1993 U.S. Gymnastics Championships - Women - All Around - YouTube
We shall wait with bated breath then eh???

Just like anything the Dance Into Tumble can be done well or really bad. Making it a rule does not mean that it will be done either way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back