New & confused

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kqtmom

Hello all,

My daughter is six and recently joined her gym's level 3 team (her gym's first competitive group). She has been enrolled in gymnastics programs for the past two years, but up to this point they have been recreational.

I have no previous gymnastics experience, and I feel somewhat confused by the process and the technicalities. Is there some basic level guide for gymnastics? I just don't know what constitutes a level 2 from a 3 or 4. Are the levels standard across the country or worldwide? Is there a basic glossary of terms? Are there forms or links on this site? For example, I have no idea what a kip is... I feel like an idiot when I'm talking to her coach because I just don't know the right questions to ask. Maybe I just ask too many questions :)

My daughter enjoys gymnastics, but she doesn't always like to go to team practices. All her level 3 team does is practice the standard routines and the group seems so large that it doesn't seem like she gets much one to one assistance. Is this typical? It reminds me of her school unfortunately - it just seems like they are teaching to the test and not trying to foster a love of the sport.

I'm really happy to have found this site. I think I can learn a lot here. Hope you can tolerate basic questions!

Thanks -
Mary-Michelle

In the US the Levels go 1-10, with 1-6 being compulsary (everyone does the same routines) and Level 7-10 are optional (each gymnast has their own routines with certain requirements)

Levels 1-4 are not required to compete, but a lot of gyms have kids compete them anyway.
Starting at Level 5 there is a certain score that is required to move up to the next level, some gyms have harder rules than USA Gymnastics. In each level there is also age requirements. Ex Level 3 you must be 5 years old, Level 4: 6 years old, etc.

All of this info can be found at www.usa-gymnastics.org

As for skills, ask you daughter you will be surprised how much she knows. Here is a great website with little videos of each skill.
Gymnastics Revolution - Gymnastics Interactive-Index - 203-798-8651

Enjoy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back