WAG New Interim CEO/President of USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

but here's the thing. this is interim, and there are probably very few people out there who want the job and are qualified for the job. And it sounds like no one is going to be good enough. Everyone has skeletons. I do not know this lady, and yes, she has made some questionable choices. But when people condemn before they even start, they never have a chance.

I am not speaking in favor of or against this new interim.. Just in general. It is going to be a tough job to fill and as @bookworm said...unless it is a "Aly/Jordyn/Rachel Denhollander/Miss Val/ Nichols/Boorman etc, with a side of business acumen all rolled up into one." someone is going to be against them.
Of course everyone has something in their past that some people will disagree with. The Nike thing is pretty recent history though. I’m sure that her Nike stance will actually engender support for her from some people, but it still doesn’t seem like the right foot to start on, considering.

but here's the thing. this is interim, and there are probably very few people out there who want the job and are qualified for the job. And it sounds like no one is going to be good enough. Everyone has skeletons. I do not know this lady, and yes, she has made some questionable choices. But when people condemn before they even start, they never have a chance.

I am not speaking in favor of or against this new interim.. Just in general. It is going to be a tough job to fill and as @bookworm said...unless it is a "Aly/Jordyn/Rachel Denhollander/Miss Val/ Nichols/Boorman etc, with a side of business acumen all rolled up into one." someone is going to be against them.

In complete agreement. It only makes it harder for USAG to find decent qualified people if the gymnastics community never gives them a chance. She hadn’t even held the position for 24 hours before the attack dogs were unleashed. Anyone that the Gymnastics community would embrace won’t touch this job with a ten foot pole. We aren’t going to get someone that we will be immediately happy with.

There are many people who find the Nike commercial controversial. That personal opinion alone should not disqualify her. Probably won’t help with a Nike sponsorship, but Nike isn’t the only company out that offers sponsorships.

In complete agreement. It only makes it harder for USAG to find decent qualified people if the gymnastics community never gives them a chance. She hadn’t even held the position for 24 hours before the attack dogs were unleashed. Anyone that the Gymnastics community would embrace won’t touch this job with a ten foot pole. We aren’t going to get someone that we will be immediately happy with.

There are many people who find the Nike commercial controversial. That personal opinion alone should not disqualify her. Probably won’t help with a Nike sponsorship, but Nike isn’t the only company out that offers sponsorships.

Oh it’s definitely controversial, which means they could find a representative on either side. That fact that I’m on the opposite side of Ms Bono doesn’t change the fact that Nike is a major sponsor of the greatest gymnast in the world, who happens to be the star of our national team. I mean, that seems like a baseline to consider right off the bat to me, not to mention just finding someone with absolutely no ties to the Nassar debacle.

In complete agreement. It only makes it harder for USAG to find decent qualified people if the gymnastics community never gives them a chance. She hadn’t even held the position for 24 hours before the attack dogs were unleashed.
I'd hardly call people who object to this woman's appointment "attack dogs." Would you consider Simone Biles in that group? I understand this is a very difficult position to fill, but it almost seems comical at this point exactly how wrong she is for the role. There are real, concrete objections to her as the new CEO, and a lot of people, including the reigning Olympic champion, chose to voice them. They managed to find a good choice for coordinator after Liukin left and I remember hearing this same argument then too. Forster had a few moments in his past when he didn't come off in the best light, but they were long enough ago and he's doing a good enough job that everyone got over it. I know the perfect CEO doesn't exist, but I don't believe for a second that this is the best they can do. I know she's only interim, but there's every possibility that could become permanent so it's important to voice concerns. That's my perspective, anyway.

I'm trying to figure out the thought process here. "Hmm, I am about to take over as CEO of an organization that's in crisis and has been ripped for every wrong step it makes for the last two years. I know from having talked to people that there are a bunch of folks who are likely to do a lot of internet research into my history when my appointment is announced. Should I maybe go through my online presence and remove things likely to provoke a lot of controversy and negative attention? Nah, I'm good."

(Seriously -- when I made a short list for a much less important and less high profile job, I checked my social media very carefully for anything that might potentially have upset the stakeholders and removed public access for a few things.)

I'm trying to figure out the thought process here. "Hmm, I am about to take over as CEO of an organization that's in crisis and has been ripped for every wrong step it makes for the last two years. I know from having talked to people that there are a bunch of folks who are likely to do a lot of internet research into my history when my appointment is announced. Should I maybe go through my online presence and remove things likely to provoke a lot of controversy and negative attention? Nah, I'm good."

(Seriously -- when I made a short list for a much less important and less high profile job, I checked my social media very carefully for anything that might potentially have upset the stakeholders and removed public access for a few things.)

Precisely! Or better yet, have the sense to not post anything like that publicly... EVER!!

Bless this mess, Simone is spot on. Perry spent all her time trying to get the Nike endorsement, now Bono has closed that door before even being put in place.

It seems to me the hire should be a common human, not someone who strives for attention on social media. I don't understand why it's not a normal caring hard working individual. Seems simple to me the hire should be a great leader and organizer, some who has the sense to trust and listen to all the great knowledgeable folks already in place. I stead they hire grandstanding individuals.

I swear to god I get better qualified candidates from an Indeed posting seeking kitchen help then USAG's BOD can find. At this point, I feel like Ashton Kutcher is going to jump out and screamed PUNK'D! I mean, for real... are they just trolling us at this point or what?

Athletes, coaches and fans: We need a leader that understands sexual abuse and cultures of silence, that supports athletes having a voice, is in no way associated with Nassar and associated crimes, and can get some sponsors on board so our athletes can get some freaking warm-ups. Also, the GOAT gymmast is a current USAG national team member, and she is a black woman who is sponsored by Nike. Oh, and one more thing... after the MLT debacle, vet their socials, mmmkay?

USAG: We're hiring a racist Trumper who was a principal at Faegre Baker Daniels (the firm that proposed the whole "Nassar is just sick" excuse that basically allowed him to keep working at MSU for more than a year after they knew of his abuse), has issues with athletes and free speech, and who alienates a potential sponsor (who also happens to sponsor both USAG's biggest star and the USOC). Social media highlights include tweets in support of the Nike boycott that is a response to an athlete of color using his voice to peacefully protest racism in America and retweeting Project Veritas.

Athletes, coaches and fans: *face palm*

I swear to god I get better qualified candidates from an Indeed posting seeking kitchen help then USAG's BOD can find. At this point, I feel like Ashton Kutcher is going to jump out and screamed PUNK'D! I mean, for real... are they just trolling us at this point or what?

Athletes, coaches and fans: We need a leader that understands sexual abuse and cultures of silence, that supports athletes having a voice, is in no way associated with Nassar and associated crimes, and can get some sponsors on board so our athletes can get some freaking warm-ups. Also, the GOAT gymmast is a current USAG national team member, and she is a black woman who is sponsored by Nike. Oh, and one more thing... after the MLT debacle, vet their socials, mmmkay?

USAG: We're hiring a racist Trumper who was a principal at Faegre Baker Daniels (the firm that proposed the whole "Nassar is just sick" excuse that basically allowed him to keep working at MSU for more than a year after they knew of his abuse), has issues with athletes and free speech, and who alienates a potential sponsor (who also happens to sponsor both USAG's biggest star and the USOC). Social media highlights include tweets in support of the Nike boycott that is a response to an athlete of color using his voice to peacefully protest racism in America and retweeting Project Veritas.

Athletes, coaches and fans: *face palm*
This is an offensive post. Please do not use this board to start political mess. People who voted for Pres. Trump are not Trumpers, they are Americans. People who do not appreciate CK are not racist, they are Americans. Nike alienated themselves when they went with the controversy. Also, do not classify gymnasts according to their race, please. This is not the place for soapbox political rants either. I can't believe you would post such inflammatory things like this here.

People who do not appreciate CK are not racist, they are Americans. Nike alienated themselves when they went with the controversy. Also, do not classify gymnasts according to their race, please.

Umm Simone Biles is Black, It is actually OK to say that. That is what she is. Its OK to notice race. It is not OK to treat someone less than because of race.

And sadly many who do not appreciate CK are racists. American and racist. You can be both.

Admin note - Okay, lets try to keep this away from politics, you all know we do not do that here. I know that it is not easy in the current political situation in the US, but I cannot allow that madness to colour the CB's fora.

Bogwoppit note - The racism thing is a whole other discussion, and sadly that seems to be very real.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back