new to level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi, my daughter is 8, and just competed her first level 5 meet. what a difference in the scoring from level 4 to level 5. so my advice is to make sure they are ready to move up, because as level 4 goes to 5, there is not alot of 9's.lol

There didn't used to be a lot of 9s (or high 8s for that matter) in L4 either.

Oh BTW, congratulations on the new level. Good luck to you guys.

hi, my daughter is 8, and just competed her first level 5 meet. what a difference in the scoring from level 4 to level 5. so my advice is to make sure they are ready to move up, because as level 4 goes to 5, there is not alot of 9's.lol

I know what you mean about the scoring differences in the jump from 4 to 5! My dd did very well in level 4 receiving lots of 9's, but mostly saw 7's and 8's in level 5 (well we did Level A but it was level 5 skills).

Just because a gymnast is strong in one level doesn't mean they will still be that strong in the next level. Sometimes it's better to not have any expectations going into the season, and instead just go with the flow and ride the tide!! It's more fun that way :)!

i definately agree with you on just enjoying the moment. it is so great to see a new floor routine, and watch them jump to the high bars.. kips are cooler to watch then mill cirlcles and shoot throughs.. lol.:D

Yes, we are expecting to be shocked when we see the first scores at my older DD's first L5 meet. She was very used to 9's last year and I think we're in for some 7's and low 8's this year. Our new L5's really struggled last year, especially on vault and I know that will be the case with my daughter this season.

Hope the season is a good one and those scores start to creep up!:)

Hi, just wanted to chime in here as a "veteran" mom (my DD is a higher level optional). Bottom line, don't focus on the scores. Because each level is incrementally more difficult in skills, and some levels are really MUCH harder than the preceding level, having the attitude of celebrating IMPROVEMENTS rather than focusing on scores at meets, is really the healthiest way to approach this long journey. When they get older trust me, they realize all on their own what they did or didn't do and whether the score accurately reflected their efforts. This is a subjective sport and there is no way around it - there will be times it seems you don't get what you deserve.

Here's a funny story - we knew a gym mom (one of those "crazy gym moms") who literally would take her laptop to meets and input ALL the gymnasts' scores and know before awards, who placed and what placement they earned! :eek: And actually, we've seen several moms who have done this over the years at meets - it's quite comical actually because I still haven't figured out how they manage to get everyone's scores...

I haven't noticed this type of craziness since DD reached the optional levels - thank goodness!

Truly, just enjoy every little achievement, whether it's a skill or a smile during their floor routine because it will pass in a flash.

Best of luck during the season!:)

Here's a funny story - we knew a gym mom (one of those "crazy gym moms") who literally would take her laptop to meets and input ALL the gymnasts' scores and know before awards, who placed and what placement they earned! :eek: And actually, we've seen several moms who have done this over the years at meets - it's quite comical actually because I still haven't figured out how they manage to get everyone's scores...

Truly, just enjoy every little achievement, whether it's a skill or a smile during their floor routine because it will pass in a flash.

:)
Oh boy that is funny yet not isolated. When older DD was in gym, we saw a lot of that. Some parents, dads can be just as cuckoo, were from our own team. Why adults have trouble putting this whole gymnastics thing into perspective is beyond me. { On an aside, football fits this bill too. My husband gets so behind Monday night football it gets insane sometimes.} These kids are having fun doing gymnastics. No one in the compulsury levels or 7-9 stand to make any money. No one is losing a house over a poor score, etc.
It is good to see that I am not the only one that feels like just suiting up to have fun watching my child having fun. Her smile is priceless. I ooh and aah over her in and out of the gym. If you notice her you tube videos, I just love to catch her having fun. She isn' perfect. Well, I think she is but I'm her Mom! I can't wait for her meets to begin in January. What it is really is that I can't wait to see her excitement get higher. She gets so excited around competition time. This year, she has expressed that she will get to go with the 'big' girls and that alone is exciting. I just love this kid so much! I had to express that!!

awesome perspective, thanks for the advice. how could anyone possible be able to pay attention to others scores. there is so much going on..

awesome perspective, thanks for the advice. how could anyone possible be able to pay attention to others scores. there is so much going on..

We have a mom @ our gym that does this. Her DD wins 1st place every time anyway so I don't know why she is so worked up about it !!!! I try to get all of our girls scores because one time @ a meet the computers crashed :eek: so all the coaches were coming to the parents for event scores to determine AA scores & team scores for awards.

OK, devil's advocate here...

We as spectators keep track of statistics all the time with the sports we follow. Pro, college, etc. Football, baseball or what have you. Some even collect score boxes from newespaper. So, why is it crazy to keep track of the scores of our favorite athletes? Again, of course, without going way overboard on this.

i have a son that plays baseball and basketball, it is no different keeping score in those sports as gymnastics. you work so hard , this is a reflection on how well you practice...we love to see our children suceed in sports, and have fun, but it is actually the child who is concerned if they made sectionals, states, etc. that is their goal.. not ours.... we just pay the bill.. and love to see the look on their face when they make a good play, or do a nice routine..

My dd started competing at age 7 and it didn't take her long to figure out that judging is subjective. She was never worried about what score she had gotten from the judges, but always asked "did I do better than the last meet?" as in "did I perform better than I did the last meet - not Did I score better?". She was thrilled as long as she could say that she had improved her performance and skills from the last meet. Don't get me wrong, she was ecstatic if the judges scores reflected the improvements also, but was not too bummed about low scoring - AS long as it was fair judging (extremely high or extremely low across the board). She only gets upset if the judging is inconsistent (no apparent rhyme or reason for scores jumping all over the place). She grew up going to a few of her cousin's meets so she understood at a very early age what scoring and placements were all about and that sometimes judges score low for everyone. Sometimes a 1st place is a 9.8, sometimes a 1st place an 8.5! You never know how it will end up.

She still maintains the same attitude - and I LOVE that!

you are so right when it comes to scores. you never know what is a winner score, and as lonng as you see your gymnast creeping up their score every meet, that is an accomplishemnet.

I am anxious to see how DD will handle the 'big' competitions this year. Because of her age she trained level 5 but competed with the rec. program. Even at states this kid had such a big smile on her face throughout the meet. On beam she fell off after she landed the cartwheel. Prior to getting back on the beam, she shot the judges the cutest smile. She didn't much watch her scores nor did she ask how she did. Well, she did ask, "Mama, do you think I did good?" I bet you can guess how I responded. "Of course you did, baby!"
This year she is so excited to get to go to the same meets as her teammates. She really can't wait to compete her home meet. We have had to work it for the last two years before she was even old enough to compete it!

Whew......I guess that makes me only a semi crazy gym mom. I get everybody's score BUT only the girls on dd's team.

I can't imagine how someone can get all the scores for all the gymnasts. I can't even keep track of what team the other kids are with much less who they are and what their score is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back