no pits gym- will this be a problem?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We dont have any pits at our gym. i have gone to camps and ik that almosst everyone has them. acually i think that my club is the only one i can think of without them. so my question is if certain skills are going to be a bit more difficult without them?? can i expect a struggle with new, more advanced tumbling, dismounts, ect. mainly so i can just have a heads up. thx again!!!

^^^But your coach probably can teach you what you need to know in the environment that he works. Odds are if others in your gym can do the skills, you won't need a pit for it.

My gym doesn't have pits either. If you live in an area with lots of gyms (that have pits) and you get to a level or skill where you need one to learn something your coach should be able to set something up with a close gym for you to go have a team practice there.
Without pits it is difficult but completely possible. Sometimes you just have to be a little more fearless

Do a search on this topic. I think it was visited just a few weeks ago, and as I recall, it got ugly...:crazy: I never cease to be amazed about how the most innocent topics can turn ugly and ones that seem contentious end up being civil. Reminds me of when I taught at a Quaker school where all decisions by the staff needed to be made by concensus... the decisions that seemed like they should have been easy (should recess last 25 minutes or 27 minutes?) could take HOURS of discussion while the truly gutrenching decisions that truly effected someones life were made very quickly.

I did gymnastics using no pits for 3.5 years and I got totally used to it. The first 2 years I was at a different gym than I am at now and they didn't have pits... and the few they did were reserved for team only, and their team is IMPOSSIBLE to get into. Then I moved gyms and for 1.5 years, I flipped there with no pits. But just recently, my gym switched to a bigger place and added pits. I've had 2 classes there so far. It didn't really make a difference; I mean, yes, we vault into a pit sometimes. But I HATE vaulting into a pit, I love doing it onto a squishy mat. Plus, we only have a pit for vault and bars, not beam, and not floor. (you know, to practice like flips into the pit.)

I guess when you get to like level 7, then you want pits... with all the advanced vaults and bar and beam dismounts. But for smaller levels, it doesn't really matter, and if you continue to advance to higher levels, then you'll be so used to having pits that it won't even matter. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back