Coaches Normal amount of reps per week for Yurchenko vaults?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymDad00

Proud Parent
Just curious, from a coaches perspective... What's your ideal number of reps an optional gymnast competing level 7 and 8 should be getting in per week doing the Yurchenko vault? I know it can be hard on gymnasts bodies, so is there a max number of reps you like to limit it to? Do you ramp up the reps leading into the months before competition season and take time off to do drills in the off season?

That’s going to depend on a lot of factors. Gymnast age, point of development, any injuries, how well progressed they are with the vault, access to vault etc.

But the majority of work done or Yurchenko does not include doing the actual vault. Lots of drills are needed to train and perfect this skill.

That’s going to depend on a lot of factors. Gymnast age, point of development, any injuries, how well progressed they are with the vault, access to vault etc.

But the majority of work done or Yurchenko does not include doing the actual vault. Lots of drills are needed to train and perfect this skill.
Gotcha, but in an ideal scenario, a healthy talented 10-11 year-old training level 7….who is 3 months out from competition season. What would be your ideal number of reps to be proficient without overuse injuries creeping in? Would only doing drills and barely any actual yurchenko timers be a concern… or normal? Could you just do drills up until a few weeks out of competition season and put it altogether before a meet?

That sounds appropriate to me - with super technical stuff like a yurchenko you need as much repetition as possible. it's easier to get lots of reps and be specific in the technique you're trying to achieve with drills compared to a competition vault.. it takes forever to get through a whole team going over the table - but you can have the whole team drilling yurchenkos at once,

I do think it's important for Lv.8's flipping for the first time to get lots of time over the table - they need to feel confident that they can make it around consistently on regulation height+.

I’m assuming since it’s level 7, it’s just a timer and she isn’t flipping the vault?

Generally our expectation and the expectations for most gyms around here, are that the gymnast should be able to safely do the skill 6-12 months before it’s required for competition. There is still a big jump between doing the skill and being able to do it safely and successfully, with minimal deductions in a competition session. And 6-12 months is a more reasonable time frame, to ensure it’s consistent and drill out any deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back