Parents "Not moving to level 5" Updated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
Hey all.. thought I'd post one last update since you all were so helpful w/ your comments before. When I went to pick DD up from gym tonight the owner came over and talked to me and they want DD to work out with the level 4s 3x a week and then the level 5s once a week this summer. So, 4x a week.. the same hours that level 5 do. He mentioned to me that two of the coaches had a big disagreement about my daughter, with one feeling very strongly about her moving up and the other feeling very strongly about repeating level 4. He said they will re-evaluate at the end of the summer to determine if she will be competing level 4 or level 5.

She also had her final meet of the season last weekend, and her team won first out of 11 teams! She also got her all time high score on bars 9.75, and that was WITH a step on the landing.

Also slightly off-topic but do any of your kids do dance also? Thats one of DDs really really weak areas, and shes mentioned that the couple girls that also dance have a lot easier time w/ that part of the routines. I'm not sure I can fit another thing into our schedule (or budget!)

Great news! That sounds like a perfect compromise to me. It gives her a chance to get the skills she needs perfected (I remember you said she already has the skills) and to see if she is ready for the schedule/hours. Also a good chance for the L5 coaches to get a look at her (if they are different). Good luck to her this summer!

Yay! That's awesome! She will make great strides this summer. And, yes! Put her in ballet if you can...totally makes a HUGE difference! I don't think gymnastics complements a dancer, per se, but dance can really, really help a gymnast. My dd has been taking ballet.for awhile now and it has really helped.with musicality, flexibility and grace and posture.

9.75, that's a huge score, congrats to your DD!

Dance helps a lot! When I was a gymnast we used to have compulsory ballet once a week and I really do think it helped my form and a lot, also my jumps and leaps. If your DD tends towards the sloppy side, especially on floor, then she might really benefit from some formal dance training.

It sounds like she will have a chance to show them that she is ready for level 5. Glad to hear that they are giving her an opportunity to do that. Keep us updated on how it's going!

Great news!

Our gym has a dancer in her late teens come in and work with the girls one day a week on just dance stuff. They have a lot of fun, and because it's a teen and this isn't her regular paying job, it doesn't cost the gym much to do that. It's not hard-core ballet training, but at least it introduces the girls who don't usually dance to some fun dance moves, and it gives the coaches lots of ideas for new choreographies. I find the dance teacher's ideas to be young, modern and interesting. My DD also does a jazz dance class once a week - I started her in that to help with the dance moves. She tried ballet when she was younger and found it way too boring - she's a little livewire and needs to move around way more than beginner's ballet allowed. I don't find the jazz dance class to be very expensive - the only real "equipment" is the shoes.

I'm so glad to hear that she is getting to work out with the level 5 group one day a week. My dd did not move up last year, mostly due to maturity. Near the end of summer, the coaches asked her to start working out with the level 5 group one night each week and she loved it. Our gym offers ballet in the summer to the gymnasts. It is incorporated into the level 4 work out and as an additional class to the level 5 and up girls. I also think that it helps with form and posture. However, I do not think dd would want to do it year round. She loves to move (a lot) and the only dance class that she has ever loved is hip hop.

That is a good compromise and I think your dd will really benefit from it. Whether she does L4 or 5 next year, she'll have stronger basics.
My gymmie was never a great dancer especially in compulsory levels. She took most of her deductions on her dance elements and would somewhat make up for it with strong tumbling. Optionals does give the girls a chance to do dance that highlights strengths and covers weaknesses to some extent. The gym she's been at for optionals does have all girls do 1-2 hours of ballet per week and while my gymmie doesn't like it, even she admits its helped with posture, line and overall appearance.
If you go to a dance studio, tell them why you want a dance class since many places try and sign the kids up for mulitple classes, recitals and comp teams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back