WAG Not sure how long we can take it…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ekat

Proud Parent
So my DD developed a block of BHS a couple of weeks ago. At fist like a “stellar” parent I had a “you’ve been doing it for 2 years” moment (profusely apologized the next day). Since then I’ve been trying to avoid the issue, explaining how it will pass, we love her anyways, it OK, she must be growing (the usual stuff)....
So today I get my coffee and happily trot to the family room to be greeted by mats on the ground and DD doing back walkovers and trying to do BHS (NOOOO!:eek:). Knowing what is coming, I quickly retreated up the stairs so she doesn’t see me (she didn’t). A couple of minutes later I hear an exasperated wail and something hitting the wall. Ugh…. She is soooo frustrated. Of course we have talked about expressing her feelings appropriately (I like my walls), but I know even if she acts nicely, she is still feeling like that inside. DD is 8yo training level 5 and hoping to go up to 6 midyear.
Should I just ban gymnastics at home (she always enjoyed fooling around with her sister on the low beam and mat while watching TV)? Will it give her a break or will it just frustrate her more? (sorry for another thread about blocks :()

I don't think you need to ban everything, but I think you should ban practice of BHS at home. She needs to practice them with her coach at the gym. She can still practice turns, arabesques and so on at home.

I agree with no bhs at home cause i felt too a coach should be present but I did let dd practice her back walk over. Perhaps doing that over and over may help?. I know its so frustrating when the blocks pop up! I know I feel so helpless and in my wanting to help sometimes I make it worse lol. Hope it will pass soon-hang in there ((hugs))

Just to clarify, the thud wasnt my daughter hitting the wall, it was her throwing something agaist the wall :confused:

I've never banned any specific things at home, but DD has only really done the dance type stuff and walkovers. She has plenty of hours at the gym so the home gymnastics is now pretty limited of her own volition.

But I would say yes, ban the BHSs. A controlled environment is better (ie real equipment, coaches) AND there is no sense in her getting frustrated at home as well.

The limit for gym at home is dance, handstand type stuff, flexibility, and conditioning. You could add to that list any non flight skill they're able to do comfortably, but limit them in the arching type of skills.

My DD got a block on BHS last year. The worst thing for her was to attempt it and balk. The more she balked, the more she wouldn't do it.
So, even in gym, her coach had a step by step plan for working on BHS. They called it her "ladder". If she balked, then she had to go back to the bottom of the "ladder". Oh. And the ladder did NOT include negative talk or crying, LOL!

Blocks are very painful for everyone involved, so my sympathies!

Also, be aware that gymnasts are more likely to be injured if they are not fully committed to the skill they are attempting, so practicing skills they are likely to balk on at home is a definite no-no!

Thanks dunno she is such a mild kid otherwise but complete firecracker if she is stumped by a move in gym. :) thanks everybody the notice has been posted that there is no bhs in the house.

Yeah, we started disallowing BHS in the house after DD went competitive. She just does it with bad form, so when I catch her doing it, I say, "BAD FORM!" and she quits. I let her do turns, splits, and stretches. She also does BWO because she just has to be upside down. I'd rather she pulled out her beam and practiced BWO there!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back