WAG Nutrition component of coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I also think there's a whole load of myths and misinformation these days about nutrition.

Pretty much everything *is* processed the same way. Broken down from its component protein/fat/carbohydrate, used for bodily functions (muscle/cell repair), then any excess broken down further into glucose.

The only difference is more "complicated" foods- low GI carbohydrates, proteins, fats, take longer. Think building bricks, easy, quick job to take apart two, not so much to break a house down to its single bricks.

There's a lot of overthinking goes into food and metabolism. Well balanced, from scratch as much as possible is the ideal. Children, especially child athletes, should not be choosing low fat or low carbohydrate options. But when you have a kid doing a 3 hour practice, a chocolate bar occasionally in break, with glucose for instant energy, and fats for slow release later on, isn't terrible.

The thing with nutrition too is these days everyone is an expert. I see many "personal trainers" or fitness professionals also sell themselves as knowledgeable about nutrition.

DD's gym brings in actual experts - RD's and sports nutritionists a couple of times a year, along with having grad students in those areas on staff. They come in and talk as a group to the gymnasts well as to the parents. They explain the differences between types of nutrients, what they do in the body and how important they all are for these kids. They show portion sizes and discuss how our younger and older gymnasts working different hours need different portions. They talk about the current best practices on when protein is best v carbs. Suggest things like chocolate milk for recovery. They do not advocate reatricting, etc.

Just because our knowledge of nutrition continues to evolve is no reason to avoid the discussion now. It is important though that they speak very generally, and are willing to meet with parents regarding specific questions. They pretty much put no food off limits to the girls. They avoid pushing the latest fads and discuss things like if you are going to get a protein bar, what is an appropriate choice for an 8 year old versus what is appropriate for an 18 year old.

Our vending machine has no soda or candy in it. That would be a horribly mixed message for the girls. Sure, the snacks are packaged (awfully hard to keep fresh food in a vending machine that is not heavily used).

No one is forced to participate. But, good nutrition is very important to the owner and HC and therefore they model healthy eating and attempt to promote it sensibly to the girls and families.

I have an underweight, picky DD who has literally been off the weight charts more than once. A HUGE reason for my hesitation in putting her in gymnastics in the first place was the fear of her hearing ANYTHING about having to lose weight or being "fat" or anything of the sort after we'd worked our butts off to get weight on her. Our pre meet info sheet instructs them to have a healthy dinner and breakfast before a meet. That's it. Anything more than that and I'd be livid. If my daughter's nutrition starts to affect her performance in they gym or in meets, then we can have a conversation about it. Otherwise, it's my responsibility to keep her fed and healthy. It's the gym's job to train her. I'm aware that nutrition is important and I will see to it as I see fit. If the gym were that concerned about her nutrition, maybe practice would be at a more convenient time to allow a feasible dinner and a full night's sleep. I'm sorry, but I have a huge issue with bringing in nutritionists, etc... Too much focus on food and a major recipe for eating disorders among these girls.

Here is the type of easy stuff that we like to provide parents with...

http://gymnastcare.com/3-easy-nutrition-tips-to-get-your-year-started-right

Like I said...if you are not part of the solution...you are part of the problem. Don't get defensive...get productive...talk to your head coaches and see if you can help. Start a "nutrition club" at your gym. Many coaches will gladly hand over nutrition education (because they don't have control over it anyways).

Why are there even these junk food vending machines in your gyms? We just would never put one in our gym over here
I know the location of our gym before the "big move" was in an old school converted to office building... the office building had vending machines in the lobby - and you walked past them to get to the gym.
The new location is in a current school building - they have sugar free drinks in a vending machine. We bring our own water or use the drinking fountain. :)

1. It's the gym's job to train her. I'm aware that nutrition is important and I will see to it as I see fit.

2. I'm sorry, but I have a huge issue with bringing in nutritionists, etc... Too much focus on food and a major recipe for eating disorders among these girls.

1. I agree with this 200%!!

2. Although probably not what the coaches intend (or maybe they do) , this is where the "fat shaming" begins and takes root in this sport all in the name of "healthy eating" ....if you want to only offer fruit, veggies and water at your team picnic/activities then fine, but calling kids out on food and weight , no thanks.

This thread really makes it sound as if most clubs are training their athletes to eat less...this is not what our club education is. Most of the time we are actually asking our athletes to eat MORE.

Honestly, I am unsure how our coaches would get all the practice time in during the school year without interfering with dinner time - DD's team girls are all in daytime school.

My DD is underweight as well. Her coaches have actually told her that her gymnastics will improve when she puts on 10+ pounds. A real expert isn't going to advocate weight loss to underweight, active children.

Ultimately though, our HC doesn't give nutrition advice, nor do the coaches.

I don't see how giving kids advice on how to make sure their protein sizes are big enough and how milk is probably a better nutritional choice than an energy drink leads to fat shaming. Experts on nutrition can help kids and parents alike make sure that these kids have the energy and nutrition to gain strength, etc. I have never heard anything that might be considered advice on dieting. Suggestions are aling the lines that a higher ratio of carbs are better before practice and protein after.

Certainly there are many individual needs. When DD had a health concern, we go to a doctor. When I want an expert on how to make sure her food intake is appropriate, I go to the experts - RDs and sports nutritionists. If your experience is that nutritional advice is on a fat shaming spectrum, then you are in the wrong place.

I'll add I'm fully aware that practice times are what they are and that the gym has to work around school etc... My point in saying that is that nutrition is more than just about food choice. Rest, sleep, etc... is part of it too, and just talking about food makes it a recipe for food shame. I don't need anyone in the gym making comments about what my daughter is or isn't eating. Her dietary intake is my job.

I have a dear friend who does functional nutrition, and is a nutritionist WITH a culinary degree....AND had her children in gymnastics for over 15 years.
She is a big fan of PRE-eating, and sleep.......since workout times always interfere with evening dinner, she always suggested eating as much as possible during the morning and early afternoon......this way their tank is full by practice time....
(Easier said than done though)

1. I don't see how giving kids advice on how to make sure their protein sizes are big enough and how milk is probably a better nutritional choice than an energy drink leads to fat shaming.

2. I have never heard anything that might be considered advice on dieting. Suggestions are aling the lines that a higher ratio of carbs are better before practice and protein after.

1. That is how it starts....I send my kid to the gym for gymnastics, not a lesson on food choices...that's on me. It is the kids who are given advice at their gyms on food choices etc and are making what is perceived to be the "wrong" choices that are generally subject to the judgement of their coaches.

2. Giving advice on food choices, bringing in nutritionists to the gym is advice on some form of diet that the gym wants you to follow.....I still say nutrition of the athlete is a parental responsibility.

I think if gyms really think that nutritional advice should be given out - it should be given to the parent, not the child. Let's face it, telling a 9 year old or 11 year old or 13 year old to eat healthy isn't going to go anywhere without parent buy in.

The child isn't the person buying groceries or planning meals. That is on the parent. If you want to make sure you aren't inadvertently giving non-helpful advice or advice that could lead to feelings of food shaming - give the lesson to the parent and ONLY the parent.

Let the parent decide, as an adult, whether they agree with the advice you want to share or investigate the nutritional suggestion you offer. They are the holders of the purse strings and the planners of the meals. They would also be the person who would know best how/whether to deliver the food messages received to their child.

My 9 year old daughter takes everything literally. So if coach says she shouldn't have cheese before practice, she won't eat cheese because coach says so. There's no ability yet to discern what's a recommendation vs. a direction. And unless you're paying my food bill, you don't get to comment on what my kid brings for snack, lunch, eats for dinner, etc... I think most of us who have kids on team are well aware that we are fueling athletes, and do our best to ensure they are nutritionally cared for, just like we care for their injuries, etc... Look, I can appreciate that the gyms who do this want their athletes to be healthy, but it's a part of their life that there are just too many other variables for them to be getting involved in. And YES, this absolutely does lead to food shaming, which leads to fat shaming. A kid who isn't as thin as the others is seen eating a chocolate bar and next thing you know conversations are happening. It's too much. Our kids are bombarded as it is by the nature of their very activity about all the ways they aren't perfect or good enough. They're constantly scored and ranked and watched and judged. Do we really need to have them in the mindset that their coach is going to make a comment if they put that cupcake in their mouth on top of it? Just, no.

How would you feel if coaches reccomended whole grains, or organic foods vs "inorganic" foods? What about different milk fats?

How would you feel if coaches reccomended whole grains, or organic foods vs "inorganic" foods? What about different milk fats?

Not sure who you're asking, but I find that way too specific. It doesn't at all take into consideration families' different thoughts and approaches on nutrition. And unless said coaches are also certified nutritionists, I don't understand what they're doing giving serious nutrional advice.

EDIT: As an example. Whole grains. I avoid them. They give me allergies and mess with my digestive system. Inorganic foods. I'm a student, I can't afford all organic food, nor do I deem it necessary. Milk fats. No milk for me, not anymore, gives me acne. Now the next person will have a totally different opinion, and that is OKAY. I don't judge. But I don't want to be judged either. And I bet most people feel that way.

Still not appropriate. I'm not a proponent of organic vs. non, as I see it as a marketing ploy more than anything. The science just doesn't support it in my opinion. And as Sari said, not everyone can eat whole grains (or milkfat for that matter). I think venturing into these territories with kids and/or their families is a major overstep. I'll add I don't want the school weighing my kid and commenting on their BMI and I'm incredibly irritated I have to fill out a "physical activity log" for school as well. It's not just gym that I think needs to be in their lane with respect to this.

Here's the thing. We all (as parents) know what's healthy. If you stick a bowl of ice cream and a bowl of carrots in front of us (or our kids for that matter) we know what we SHOULD choose. We all KNOW we shouldn't hit the mcdonald's drive through 5 times a week. It's not rocket science really. So then what you're venturing into is choice. Do you want the gym telling you whether or not you should treat your kid's ear infection with an antibiotic or a homeopathic remedy? Why is that any different? I'm fine with telling them to eat healthy. But I do think like Sari says you're venturing into judgment territory and it's just not the time or place.

Here's the thing. We all (as parents) know what's healthy.

Thing is, many parents don't know what's healthy. This board is naturally skewed towards parents who like to research and inform themselves. Possibly gymnastics has the same slant, as it's generally parents who are educated, have good jobs to pay for it all...

But there will be parents who've read an article, or been told by so-and-so's grandmother, who goes swimming, that very high protein diets are the way to go, carbohydrates should be eliminated, or you should consume only fat. There'll be other parents who give their child macdonalds, as they'd rather the kid ate than let a child say they're not going to eat healthy stuff. Most information available to the layman comes from the latest weightloss fads, couched in "science" reasoning.

I agree with @QueenBee who said the information should be given to the parents to do with as they see fit. But I also think gyms should be very,very careful over who does the informing. All that needs pointing out really is choosing natural foods as much as possible, the importance of a balanced diet, and not restricting any food group except for medical reasons. The most a child needs to know is if they make good choices 80% of the time, they don't need to worry if the other 20% is the odd macdonalds or chocolate bar.

Nutrition is complicated when individual needs are taken into account.

For us its obvious -if our gymnasts want/are required to train like rockets they need high quality fuel or that ship won't stay in the air...so this is what we tell our kids. Some 'junk' food is ok just make sure your bodies getting the high quality it needs.

DS who's heading for 6 foot eats huge amounts of everything. Odd ( tiny & heading for 5 foot if shes lucky) and has DHs racing model metabolism, has to be reminded that delicious & filling though they are, 2 oranges is not a balanced lunch☺ while cute little rec girl- of the cuddly variety-has nutrition down pat & reminds me that she needs her protein snack within 20 mins of finishing training!​

I'd take it as an indication the coaches don't have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to nutrition. There is a LOT of pseudoscientific BS out there where nutrition is concerned, to the point where finding legitimate, scientifically-accurate nutritional advice is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Avoid hippy-dippy pseudoscience and fad diets.

Carbs are fine, GMOs are fine, and your body doesn't know or care whether your food is "organic."

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back