Coaches Officially JUST a "bench" coach for now

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I have had shoulder pain for a while (knew it was my rotator cuff and was trying to "rest" it and all that good stuff and avoid surgery). Well, Friday, the pain got so much worse that I had to make my brother finish cleaning the house.
Saturday I went to Urgent Care. The doctor examined me and confirmed that it is rotator cuff and I need an MRI - which my family doc has to order...
Waiting to hear back from the family doc to see if she wants to see me first or get the MRI first. Rotator cuff is either sprained (hopefully, but I doubt since it has hurt for over a year - I have been alternately resting it and working through the pain) or partially (or fully) torn.
We were back at gym tonight and I (finally) told HC about it. No more spotting standing back handsprings or even handstands for me until I get a clean bill of health from my doc and the ortho. :(
I am to coach from the bench - which I like doing too... but I also like to help where I can.:)
Probably calling the doc in the morning and leaving YET ANOTHER message. Wish me luck! ;)

Its rough on the body, hope everything turns out okay.

Thanks... I didn't even get injured at gymnastics... I am almost as talented as my sister (she shredded her ACL in her sleep in 2012 :eek:) and I managed to (possibly) tear my rotator cuff in my sleep. :oops:

She told me once that it is funny to watch me sleep... If they had a sleeping event (toss n turn) at the Olympics, I would definitely be on the podium :cool:.

Thanks... I didn't even get injured at gymnastics... I am almost as talented as my sister (she shredded her ACL in her sleep in 2012 :eek:) and I managed to (possibly) tear my rotator cuff in my sleep. :oops:

She told me once that it is funny to watch me sleep... If they had a sleeping event (toss n turn) at the Olympics, I would definitely be on the podium :cool:.

Geez, I though giving myself a bloody nose by smacking it in my sleep was a big deal.

Geez, I though giving myself a bloody nose by smacking it in my sleep was a big deal.
We are a really talented bunch, lol
My sister's ACL, My Rotator Cuff... and once (Jan. 1, 2012), I sprained my ankle standing still... and as a teen, I sprained a wrist closing a car door.

Older gymmie (over the last 5 years... and not in any particular order) had a knee landed on (by another gymnast during a break at practice), spraining it... got hit in the eye with a softball playing catch with another girl her age, getting a black eye... playing dodgeball at school, sprained her ankle... played kickball at school, injured her other knee... playing volleyball in gym, sprained a wrist.
She is now often braced up at gymnastics and (at meets), I would sometimes hear parents from other gyms commenting about how maybe gymnastics isn't for her... I tell them that GYM Class at SCHOOL isn't for her, lol. Then I point out all the braces and tape on the Level 8+ girls.

(Knock On Wood) Younger gymmie hasn't been hurt other than rips and beam bites.

Sorry to hear of your injury. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it is just a sprain or over use injury. Stay strong and let us know how it turns out. Good luck and be careful........all of you! ;)

Sorry to hear of your injury. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it is just a sprain or over use injury. Stay strong and let us know how it turns out. Good luck and be careful........all of you! ;)
Thanks... we TRY to be careful, lol... getting ready to call my doc for the 5th time!!! Need to get this scheduled around my "busy" schedule!

So... saw my family doc. She didn't think it was rotator cuff because I was ACCIDENTALLY resisting letting her move it around because it hurt so bad that I tensed up. She was thinking more along the lines of tendonitis... ordered x-rays and PT (either way, she said that would be the next step)... and she prescribed this Flexgel stuff for pain - had to be mailed to me because it gets compounded at a specific pharmacy- gets applied topically - when it arrived, it nothing for my pain (but DOES cause localized skin swelling due to an allergy to one of the main ingredients - which we were aware of)... so When I called her back the following day, she told me to stop taking it and apply Benadryl cream (to get rid of the allergic reaction)... I asked, but what do I do about the pain. She was right there while I talked to the receptionist and offered to prescribe meds I am already on (said she would check my med list, but might prescribe these...) so I pointed out that she already had me on them.
They said the next step is the ortho. They asked for my preference (I have one I have seen a lot) and said they would make the appt and call me back the next day. 5 minutes later, they called me back... did I get my x-rays yet... Yes, last week. They said you should have the results already... 15 minutes after that (probably just enough time for her to look @ the xray and call the ortho office to set it up), I have an appt with the ortho scheduled for Next Tuesday.
Luckily, I had the xray done in the same clinic as the ortho, so he probably saw the xray before my doc did, lol.

Went to the ortho... got a shot of steroids and told 3 weeks of PT before the MRI even gets scheduled... the good thing is that puts any potential surgery off until AFTER our Championship meet (if my math holds out... 3 weeks of PT will be done Feb. 18...takes 2+ weeks to get in for the MRI, so wont have that until the week of Mar. 3-7... won't get back in to see the doc until the following week at the earliest so Mar. 10-14... Championships is that following weekend.) So all is good!!! :)

Getting my shoulder MRI right now.

Bummer! But glad you are getting it taken care of. I'm sure you'll still be a very valuable coach without being able to do the hands on stuff- I know there is so much I miss when I'm doing the up-close spotting work because I have such a limited view of the skill and it's nice to have another set of eyes on the bigger picture.
Hope all goes well with the ortho and the PT and that you'll be back to spotting in no time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back