Opening Ceremonies...am I the only one?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
Am I the only one who didn't find it absolutely horrible?
Lots of the comments on NBC Olympics FB page are filled with people complaining that there were too many commercials (I didn't think there were too many at all). People are complaining about the commentary, about the fact that it was broadcasted on delay (in the US), complaining about how boring it was, etc. etc.

Maybe it's just me but I didn't find it too bad at all.

Thoughts?

tbh, I flicked it on, but it was at 12.30 (midnight) here, saw some microbes dancing round the stadium and went to bed.

I think I miss a nice quick opening ceremony, a few fireworks, parade of athletes and offski. They seem interminably long nowadays.

Reactions: sce
I watched on BBC. No commercials at all, shown live, nice commentary with information on every single team. NBC > nothing, but BBC > NBC so I guess it's relative.

I caught the first hour, and I really liked what we saw, very cirque du soliel ish. I always find the history interesting, and I love the creativity. There were a lot of commercials, but i don't mind as much when they are good...it's like the Super Bowl

It was ok. I always start to watch and then wander in and out. I'd rather it be live and a little shorter but it was typical. I brought my girls in to see the US march in. Their dad thinks my Olympics obsession is nuts.

I watched on NBC. Too many commercials. Too many of the commercials were stupid. It made me mad at NBC. They switched to commercial as the fireworks were BEGINNING .

It was OK. I really liked the first half - up through the airplane, but then I felt like they had run out of money and time and the last half of the history of Brazil was kind of unchoreographed and thrown together. I did like all the info and stories about all the teams, and would have loved more of that, but they didn't have a lot of time.

LOVED the commentary on CBC, lots of gymnastics comments ;) and great interviews with the athletes (the South Sudan athlete made me tear up- he was just so gracious!)

My only complaint is that I had to stay up until 1 am to watch. I went to bed about an hour later during march-in.

I didn't see any commercials during that time. But compared to London, the hour I did watch was.... Eeeeh not my thing.
Maybe I'm naive but I didn't really need to hear about planting trees when I tuned in to have a good time. My boredom definitely contributed to me getting too tired to stay awake.

My major complaint was that you could barely hear the commentators on NBC over the music. If they're going to be giving history and background (which I like) I want to hear it! I didn't mind the commercials (I'm a sucker for Olympic commercials), since it was on delay you didn't miss anything. I didn't make it to the end though. I went to bed at midnight right after the Brazil team walked.

I watched but fell asleep before they could light the flame. NBC stretched it out to 4+ hours with way too many commercials. The commentary wasn't awful imo but it wasn't good either.

We recorded it and watched it in the morning, BBC so no ads at all (didn't that would break up the flow of the story?), I thought the lighting effects on threatens floor were good, I thought the environmental message was really important for Brazil (& the world), Giselle walked for a really long time, speeches got fast forwarded, parade of nations was fun, I love all the different uniforms, Austria was one of my favourites. That guy from Tonga (or somewhere in the South Pacific) who was oiled up to carry the flag was a highlight.

I'm not a fan of being lectured.

And I so don't get the Giselle thing.

Some incredibly strong, fierce, talented, gorgeous women athletes and then there is someone who hit the genetic lottery and can walk. :confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back