Opinion on bhs, cartwheel series?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm working level 8. I'm not sure what I should work for a series on beam; I'd like to do bhs bhs but my bhs are a little heavy so my coach isn't sure if that would work, I can't do bwos (they mess up my back) and I'm scared of roundoffs (after twisting my knee and almost breaking my foot working them:D). Yesterday at practice my coach had me work some bhs on a line stepping out with my bad leg then swinging my good leg through to a cartwheel. It actually wasn't that hard. :) My question is, does this sound like a good series? Will it be hard to get credit for? Any ideas for a different series?

Personally I would say do anything but this series ;) But if it works for you, it works. I just don't like the swing through series as a rule because I think it's hard to get the connection.

However, if I were going to coach, I would definitely make the kid CW on the bad leg, rather than messing with their BHS. CW on your bad leg should be about as easy for you, if a weird feeling at first...I have been doing beam BHS for years and if I was thinking about doing this series stepping down on my bad foot wouldn't occur to me...especially since I use the opposite hand to foot technique. if the goal is to make the BHS smoother I think this is not a good idea myself.

Can you do a back roll or back extension roll? You may be able to use that with your back handspring.

Is FWO better for you than back? My dd is doing FWO, BHS. She hopes to develop it into front aerial, BHS for level 9. Another option would be cartwheel to gainer back handspring.

Could you swap it over and do cartwheel BHS. That would look nicer.

Do what ever series you can do cleanly until you get the Bhs Bhs series and keep working the Bhs Bhs.
The round off will also come in handy later for dismounts if you can't twist forward.

I don't think HS BHS counts in L8, unless the rules have changed recently, although it counts in L7. I think in L8 the skills have to be "moving" in the series. But of course HS BHS connected would be a good thing to work on in practice if you want to do BHS BHS and can't do BWO BHS...essential, even.

I definitely agree with CW BHS as being prettier and you'd avoid the swing throug leg thing.
I used to do valdez BHS (valdez is not so hard on your back). And korbuts are pretty easy to land (and soft on the knees) when you get used to it - what about BHS korbut??

Korbuts are not allowed in L8, and HS BHS only counts in L7.

I'm not a fan of BHS swing through CW because it forces gymnasts to land BHS with their weight forward, which is exactly what you don't want to do in more progressive series. It *is* a series the way that you're doing it, though.

I'm pretty sure HS BHS counts in Level 8 as long as the HS is held at a mim of 2-3 seconds and is connected right into the BHS. Judges are no longer giving credit of BHS BWO in WI so that one is out (since I'm sure that is elsewhere or will spread) and can you really truly connect a BHS to a cartwheel? I've never seen it competed and would want to ask a judge for their opinion first. :confused: Let us know what you pick!!!!!:cool:

I'm pretty sure HS BHS counts in Level 8 as long as the HS is held at a mim of 2-3 seconds and is connected right into the BHS. Judges are no longer giving credit of BHS BWO in WI so that one is out (since I'm sure that is elsewhere or will spread) and can you really truly connect a BHS to a cartwheel? I've never seen it competed and would want to ask a judge for their opinion first. :confused: Let us know what you pick!!!!!:cool:

That is true in L7 but unless I missed some change they have not allowed the handstand in L8 because the skills are supposed to be "moving." Anyway gymkat is a judge.

I'll just reiterate that HS connections do not fulfill the L8 flight series Special Requirement.

I've seen BHS CW connections done well and done poorly...as I have seen L9s do BHS to Dive Cartwheel and receive credit for their SR. From a judging point of view the BHS CW is essentially the same as a BWO BHS as it a B flight skill connected to an A non-flight skill, regardless of the order, and judges should evaluate as such. The only difference is that the BWO BHS has to be a fast connection, as there is no longer a rhythm deduction available, however counter connections do have an up to .2 rhythm deduction for a connection that is a little slower. So for a gymnasts who is afraid of a fast connection a counter connection might be the answer (obviously depending on end goals, coaching philosophies, etc.) This was mentioned in the latest Joint JO/Technical Committee minutes recently posted on the website.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'll probably just continue with backhandspring cartwheel and try to get it as quickly as I can and then work handspring handspring. Thanks again!

Update: Last week I switched to good leg bhs, back leg cw. :) It's going ok, but I'm having trouble consistently landing in scale and swinging my leg through. Any tips? Thanks :)

Update: Last week I switched to good leg bhs, back leg cw. :) It's going ok, but I'm having trouble consistently landing in scale and swinging my leg through. Any tips? Thanks :)

Practice (you can even do this at home, as long as you have space) doing split leg handstand on a line or beam with back handspring hands. Try to get the split all the way even, so your back leg is parallel to the floor - it might help to do this in front of a wall so you can touch your foot or toe to it and balance at first. Make sure to push out of both hands evenly, that's a common problem when using the backhandspring hand placement, a lot of people want to shift too much weight to the back hand fast. Then work on the arabesque hold out of the handstand, and the full connection.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back