Parents Parents of kids who made it to upper level optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
Looking back, which level was the most fun or exciting for you to watch as a parent? Which level do you think your kid enjoyed the most? Was just curious about this as meet season is about to start.

Oh gosh. I loved all of them except L8. L8 was stressful and hard. And he was not doing well with it. I loved L5, because it was new and fun. But...the last year of L10 was the best....

Both my older daughters hated WAG level 8! Found their routines difficult and didn't enjoy the skills (thinking of that blind change on bars and bhs bhs series, and of course flipping a vault for the first time!
Probably level 10 their favourite - have a few years to compete it, a variety of skills and have changed their routines multiple times until they found what they were happy with!

The most fun for me were the lower levels when it was all for fun and smiles. Once L6/7 hit, it became all about managing anxieties, injuries, expectations, etc. Last year of L10 was pretty exciting for me too, seeing it come full circle and seeing her confidence build again after repeated injuries.

I think my dd would probably say her college gym years have been the best years, despite losing a season due to the pandemic. For JO, though? Maybe first year L10? Skills and confidence were coming together at that point.

I much preferred the lower levels. I did not enjoy last season (level 9) at all. It was way too stressful and hard to watch. I think my daughter would say her favorite was level 5. She actually told me the other day that she thought she peaked at level 5. :( (I don't think that is true, but it was probably her best year in terms of scores and placements). She also had a good level 7 and she (and I) enjoyed it. Level 8 she was injured and didn't compete the first half and then barely came back for the last meet (did not score well at all) and then covid hit. Level 9 started rough, but she made it to Easterns at the end so it ended ok. But it was a tough season. She's injured again and level 10, which was looking promising at the beginning of the summer, does not seem too likely at the moment.

Oh gosh. I loved all of them except L8. L8 was stressful and hard. And he was not doing well with it. I loved L5, because it was new and fun. But...the last year of L10 was the best....
I haven't coached MAG optionals in ages, but last time I did, Level 8 was.... a thrill ride, to say the least. At the time, L8 was the first level of optionals for boys, which means all the guys were chucking crazy skills that were not always even recognizeable.

Best part was floor; an Arabian was a required element back then, and level 8 arabians tended to be very.... um.... creative

I haven't coached MAG optionals in ages, but last time I did, Level 8 was.... a thrill ride, to say the least. At the time, L8 was the first level of optionals for boys, which means all the guys were chucking crazy skills that were not always even recognizeable.

Best part was floor; an Arabian was a required element back then, and level 8 arabians tended to be very.... um.... creative

HAHA! Yes. Maybe that was it. Of course, that is the year he grew like 6 inches and 30 lbs, and the year of a new coach that was...well..tough.

D had an "arabian" that year. Creative is a good way to describe it lol

I remember Arabian practice, but then it just disappeared. My favorite level was 6. Skills actually started looking like gymnastics. Last year of the mushroom. Mushroom to actual pommels was a big leap, and we went direct from mushroom to handle pommels

I would have to say level 7, it was my daughters first season at her new gym, and she was use to always getting 32-35AA so we didn’t know what to expect. Then a new gym and boost of confidence came. Now she hates anything under 3rd AA or under a 38

Level 3 was great because daughter was SO prepared (and cute!) and every meet was a fun, new adventure. Levels 6 & 7 were also fun because the girls were such a tight group by then, got to show personality in their floor routines, skills were solid with opportunities to upgrade, but nothing was all that scary to watch!

Level 7 - last year before skills became super scary and the last year before gymnastics started taking a toll on her body

Level 7. First year of optionals for her and it was fun to watch unique routines/floor music, etc. Also was a strong year for my daughter.

Missing the Super 8 session at Level 8 Regionals in Region 4. My daughter went to the regular Level 8 session of Regionals on a mission... she was 9 years old and she won.

This meet was a big conversion for her.

Missing the Super 8 session at Level 8 Regionals in Region 4. My daughter went to the regular Level 8 session of Regionals on a mission... she was 9 years old and she won.

This meet was a big conversion for her.
I hate that they stopped doing the Super 8 team! That was such a big goal for so many region 4 girls! Just happy Lily got to be a part of it before they stopped doing it. One of her highlights for sure.

I hate that they stopped doing the Super 8 team! That was such a big goal for so many region 4 girls! Just happy Lily got to be a part of it before they stopped doing it. One of her highlights for sure.

Super 8 was very fun... but honestly... it was bad for Level 8 Regionals. Always tons of controversy as to who got to go as well. Wisconsin always had a major problem with rising scores as the Level 8 sessions progressed at State.

I don't really remember much in compulsory except the awful music X 100 competitors...both of their first years as a 10 were exciting and fun as they both made JOs and did well ...it was much more of a shock when my youngest qualified I was in tears.

Looking back, my favorite season to watch was probably level 7. My dd was excelling, confident, and uninjured that year, and the optional routines were so much fun. First year of level 10 was brutal - entirely the opposite vibe...everything felt competitive and full of pressure for recruiting, and scary. College is so much better! Not only is the team atmosphere is so much fun, but even though each routine comes with a ton of pressure, overall it's a relief from the intensity of pre-college recruiting days and I'm way less involved of course, so it's easier to just sit back and enjoy the accomplishments.

Her third year of 8. This year. First injured, next covid. Lots of lost skills. Finally getting a bit of a groove.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back