Parkettes Invitational

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD's gym goes- but only the upper optional levels. It's a bit of a travel meet from her gym- requires and overnight stay. I think it's open to levels 3+ though. Our gym goes every year, so I am guessing it's a good meet and worthwhile. It attracts really high level competition from all over the area.

My daughter is a Parkette and the PKI is a very respected meet on the east coast. Great, tough competition for the lower level and upper levels (3-open). Big names compete and it is a huge success every year. They use the Parkette gym for levels 8 and up, and a local high school for level 3-7. Many gyms have been coming for years and there are never any complaints- very clean, good food, great awards, and a fun atmosphere.

We have been to Parkettes every year since 2004...and I believe we are slated to go again this year. It's a decent meet, not too expensive accomodation-wise although I don't agree with their policy of charging additionally for the last session on Saturday night...you have to pay an extra 15 bucks to watch your own kid compete in that session, even if you already paid for the Saturday. The last session on Saturday night used to be the televised Comcast session but that hasn't happened in a while so omission of that second admission charge would be my biggest suggestion for that meet.

Just found out that we are going to this one this year. The girls at the gym are all excited about that. I'm thinking either a 7+ hour drive or the expense of the flight and rental car. Which hotels are the cheapest and still cleanbecause the host hotel is already booked. Is there a "bad" side of town we shouldn't look for a room in?

We will definitely have to fly and rent cars. So I am concerned about driving in unfamiliar road conditions in the month of January in PA.... What's the weather like historically for this meet? Do any of you know if certain levels typically compete on certain days? It makes such a big difference in what days you can fly and number of days out of school. I hate to have to wait until the last minute to make plane reservations. Thanks for your input!

Historically , the 10s have competed on Saturdays (all sessions)...and when she was an 8 and a 9, it was Friday. I remember my younger daughter competing as a 4 on the Saturday (but at a different site!) as well.

Cher- try booking at the Wingate by Windham on Hamilton Blvd I believe...clean and not too expensive. Hilton Garden Inn is closer to Dieruff HS where the compulsories compete but usually more expensive. I would drive if I were you as flying into Lehigh Airport isn't cheap and it's not too bad of a drive. And stay away from the Budget Inn...gross, gross, gross..and in a seedy area too...

thanks bookworm. I was looking at both wingate and Hilton since the host hotel is booked.

the driving sorry 6 + hours is too long a drive for me. anything over 3 hours and I'm flying LOL.
Actually there are some really cheap flights i've seen out there so renting a car and then driving to the location once I get close is more doable for me.

Do you know what dates the L7 and L8's compete on My DD will be one of those levels but again our gym hasn't said one way or the other yet.

My daughter will probably be an 8 by late January. So competing on Friday vs Sunday makes a big difference in deciding when to fly. I'd prefer for her to miss only 1 day of school if at all possible. Some of the bigger meets we've been to that have been running for many years put out a tentative schedule which then tells you which days each level will likely compete. If anyone has this type of info for this meet it would be greatly appreciated!!

We've gone to this meet a few times & after our last experience our gym has decided not to return. The awards for my DD's level were all calculated wrong & awards had to be taken back & redone. The awards session took forever & was very emotional for the girls who ended up with nothing after awards were taken back. I know mistakes happen, but we certainly didn't expect that at "Parkettes". The high admission price to watch your DD compete in old highschool gym just isn't worth it. I don't understand why they charge so much??? The awards are nice, but pretty standard stuff. Maybe it's better for the upper levels who actually compete at the Parkette's gym, that I don't know? But our upper levels don't go to this one anymore either. I wouldn't pay to fly to this meet. It's not what you would expect from the name. Not to dis Parkettes, just giving my opinion from our experience.

Now, if you want to attend a fabulous meet in PA I'd suggest "The Pink" meet. They put on a WONDERFUL meet to benefit breastcancer research/cure. The whole meet has a good vibe & awards & "extras" they give are some the best I've ever seen. A VERY memorable meet!!! The girls all get Pink leos to compete in!!! And no my DD doesn't attend AJS Pancott, LOL! It's just a WONDERFUL meet(one of the best we've attended anywhere!)& I'd rather see you spend your hard earned money flying to a fabulous memorable meet. Pink Invitational - Raising Awareness and Funds for Those Affected by Breast Cancer JMHO.

Now, if you want to attend a fabulous meet in PA I'd suggest "The Pink" meet. They put on a WONDERFUL meet to benefit breastcancer research/cure. The whole meet has a good vibe & awards & "extras" they give are some the best I've ever seen. A VERY memorable meet!!! The girls all get Pink leos to compete in!!! And no my DD doesn't attend AJS Pancott, LOL! It's just a WONDERFUL meet(one of the best we've attended anywhere!)& I'd rather see you spend your hard earned money flying to a fabulous memorable meet. Pink Invitational - Raising Awareness and Funds for Those Affected by Breast Cancer JMHO.

We're going to the Pink Invitational this year! Can't wait! I've heard so many fabulous things about it, and this year it's going to be bigger than ever. In downtown Philly for the first time, right? Our optionals level girls are going to Parkettes, but dd is level 6 so she's not going.

Our whole team is going to Pink this year. Usually just compulsaries go. DD is excited. We used to go to Parkettes several years ago. DD was at the high school.

Parkettes is a great meet based on the competition that your girls will come up against. If you are an Optional, you get the true feel of being at Parkettes. If you are at the HS (the lower levels), the feel of the meet is no different than any other local meet that you would attend near your own gym.

As for Pink, our team is attending this meet this yr. I did see it was being held at the Philadelphia Convention Ctr. The meet looks like a lot of fun and is for a great cause. Looking at last year's results, 9s and 10s were on Saturday - hope they can keep with that, hate to miss school if we don't have to.

Level 9s are always Friday at Parkettes gym. 7 and 8s are usually always Saturday at the High School and the 4, 5, and 6s are Sunday. 10s are Saturday at Parkettes gym.

Would any of you have inside info as to which days each level will compete, specifically the Level 7 & 8's?

The level information is right on Parkettes page: Parkettes.com - Invitational Scroll down on this link and you will see what days each level competes. What you WON'T see is the session for each day. I feel that we are close enough to the meet to be provided this information. I need to know if I have to stay over and which day, depending on what session my dd falls in.

I've heard in the past that the session has run by age group (at least the high levels) but when I look at last year's results, the sessions had all different age groups in them. I could understand the delay if they were doing it by age group, be level, but if all gym teams are in a session, it shouldn't be taking this long.

Parkettes is a great meet based on the competition that your girls will come up against. If you are an Optional, you get the true feel of being at Parkettes. If you are at the HS (the lower levels), the feel of the meet is no different than any other local meet that you would attend near your own gym.QUOTE]

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I don't know about that...the competition in the past few years definitely isn't what it used to be...and Parkettes should stop charging people extra for the level 10 session on Saturday night... the excuse we got years back for the extra charge was that "it is being televised by Comcast"...well , that hasn't happened for years and it's just nasty to charge people twice in one day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back