Parents Perspective

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I just felt compelled to say that I sat down at the computer tonight with my mind full of thoughts and worries about my 9-year-old DD's Saturday gym meet. What popped up on my screen when I logged onto my email was images from 9-year-old Christina Taylor's funeral. I have been so blessed with two happy, healthy daughters, but life can change in an instant and I sometimes need to be reminded about what is TRULY important and what is, really, just for fun. There is no "silver lining" in the loss of a child, but maybe the rest of us will remember to hug our own children just a little bit closer and appreciate the ups and even the downs of parenthood just a little bit more.

Yup. Thinking of what Christina's family is going through now and will continue to deal with, a fall off the beam isn't all that important. I try and remember to tell my girls that I love them everyday and will try harder now.

Totally right Mary, when it all comes down to it having your child to have and hold is such a gift and to even take that for granted in wrong. The loss of that beautiful, tiny girl is heartbreaking.

Gymnastics just pales into insignificance in the face of such a massive tragedy.

I totally agree Mary--the speech on TV the other day was so heartbreaking for all involved. And especially Christina because she was just a child. They also said that she was a dancer and a gymnast. It is always so sad when a child is killed. Hug your children extra tight from now on!

Mary, I definitely agree!!! All this gymnastics talk of not scoring well enough, quitting/fear issues, etc., really pales with the realities of life, doesn't it?

Went to a wake last night for a three year old child that just passed away after a long battle with cancer. The funeral is today, really does put life into perspective and feel very lucky to have all the memories i have with my children, that this one mother will never be able to have. Heart wrenching to watch the child's journey over the past few years, there was slide show of her life.

You are so right Mary. I really am blessed that I am married to a wonderful husband, have a roof over my head and plenty to eat and all my children are safe and well. Everything else is just icing on the cake. I have always told my husband it is a sucessfull day if all of our children are tucked safely into thier beds at night. We have really embraced that philosophy and our family is a strong one because of it.

I totally agree. I am so blessed that my DD is happy and healthy. The rest is just small stuff in the grand scheme of things.

I have always told my husband it is a sucessfull day if all of our children are tucked safely into thier beds at night. We have really embraced that philosophy and our family is a strong one because of it.

What a good philosophy! Your tag-line is perfect too!

So very true Mary. I was watching the news showing parts of her funeral last night. I too have a 9yo daughter and just hugged her tight last night. Truly puts things in perspective and hightlights what is really important.

yes it is a wake up call to remind us our real perspective and what is really important!!
my dd turned 9 yesterday so about the same age and I know it really hit home to me!!
my heart just aches for the families of ALL the victims!

It really is sad and senseless. I do see alot of sadness in my job so I always think about these things and how lucky we are to have the things that we have. Sometimes you just wish you could fix things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back