MAG Practice game time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Ok. I hope i am just being a bit snarky due to our gym situation, but thought I would ask.

It seems like at the end of every practice, the boys spend about 30 minutes playing. Sometimes it is "stick," sometimes it is dodgeball type games, sometimes it is trampoline time, sometimes it is really just goofing around. tonight it was helping a boy, not on team, ask his girl to prom. Fun, yes, but 30 minutes of practice time spent 4 days before regionals?

So, am I being petty? It's ok if you tell me I am! But it is every day. That is 2 1/2 hours a week or so of play time. That seems excessive to me. None of the other groups at the gym do this. They might have game time 1-2 times a week for like 15 minutes, if that. Most work out right up to dismissal.

Thoughts? for those who don't know, DS is a L9.

Some of that sounds like work veiled as fun. Some of it sounds like it should be after practice.

Some of the games you mentioned are designed to develop their gymnastics in a fun way. The games will develop strength, speed, team work and so on. Often it can look like just random mucking around is going on but it's actually a week planned part of the program.

Not so sure about spending the time helping a mate ask someone to the prom though!

OK. I guess I am being snarky....... ;) No more going in at the end of practice either. :) I guess I can see 10-15 minute of this, but 30 minutes a day, seems rough. Sigh. Will take my snark and keep it quiet! lol

lol. the team is pretty solid ;) The boys are all super close...do things both in and out of gym.

Our boys do have some "down time" but not each practice and not that long. Sometimes it is structured games and sometimes "free play". Often the younger (6-12) kids play while the olders do stick it contests or "team building" like figuring out how to ask a girl to the prom...last week I walked in on the older boys "working" on sticking standing front tucks on the beams....which coach instruction, LOL! DS was happy he could do a "D" skill, even if it was on a girls event!

It used to really bother me when DD wanted to be there for "fun friday" more than to work on her giants....but that was MY stress about her skills/gymnastics and time management issues, not hers and I tried to keep it to my uptight self (I'm sure I didn't always succeed).

Comes down to if I trust the coaches know what they are doing I am fine with whatever happens at practice.

I don't think it's snarky! I completely agree...30 minutes all the time is too much. Ten-fifteen minutes at the end, sure. But when practice is only 3 hours (and they have 6 events!), I really feel like they should be making the most of it! Especially right before regionals!

And I know it's important to keep things fun for the boys to keep them coming back; but I feel like there is a time and place for the game playing.

Also, I hate dodgeball. Stick contests are good though :).

Reactions: sce
I guess for me, my feelings would be influenced by whether they were otherwise making reasonable progress and efficient use of the "regular" time they are there (with a good coach ratio, etc). The Stick it contests sound like a good thing (I wish our boys would do that more often), and trampoline time & active play like dodgeball sound like decent ways to get in some cross-training if it's a pretty active game.

If I felt the apparatus time was sufficient for the boys' goals, I actually love the idea of a mix of directed "fun" and "free" time at the end. Not sure about the 30 minutes per day, but it could be effective if boys are actually making the most of it.

Does the coach prescribe what to do during this time (as in, tells them to play dodgeball)? Or does coach just say "free time" and boys pick something? Are they supposed to pick something together or just individually do whatever they want? If they aren't being active in some way, are they nudged to go be active? Or is it basically a complete free for all each time and they can hang out by the chalkbucket and do nothing if they want?

I wish DS got any "fun" time in gym! It's all work and very little play, which is tough on the younger kids.

However, given your DS's age and level, I don't think you're being snarky at all -- 30 min. at every practice seems like a lot. I'm sure it pays off in a strong team and helps keep the boys from getting burned out, but that could be accomplished in a lot less time.

DS's team has free time before practice and after- it sometimes goes into practice, but never that long (and my little one is a lot younger than yours). I can understand your frustration with that situation and don't blame you one bit for being annoyed. One of the coaches at my son's gym once said they don't mind the free time because they can see how the kids are playing/goofing off - and can correct any sloppiness if need be. And the kids bond/have fun.

Also, I guess one perspective is that right before regionals is exactly when the kids should be relaxing some...stress level high and truthfully, not much is going to change in 4 days that didn't come together over the last few months. DD old gym used the week right before state for celebration dinners (one for optionals before their state, one for compulsories before theirs) to keep the kids realizing that they should be proud of each other and the season, not just focused on their state performance. They were sent home early from practices once work out complete, given a chance to rest, etc. It was a "feel good time" for the kids as much as possible. I don't honestly know how the present HC handles it with the girls, and my boys aren't doing regionals this year due to the cost/long flight and their not being in age for Nationals anyway. I've always figured boys regionals is a little like girls state overall, as in almost everyone who is proficient at the level will make it (in our state it's harder to qualify for boys regionals than girls state, but still somewhat similar).

Of course you'd hate to see a "dodgeball injury" right before regionals, but team building at that time makes lots of sense. Honestly, when I hear that the teenagers are goofing off at practice (and I have reports from the pre-teen about it regularly), I figure mine at least is old enough to take the consequences...afterall, no coach is ever going to tell him he can't condition instead of playing!

Wouldn't happen with our teams. Once in a blue moon, the boys' former coach had them fluff the pit for fun, and the current L5s often end practice with things like a handstand contest or other kind of contest, but they don't spend practice time playing games, especially not before regionals. Sometimes the boys hang around after practice and do stupid stuff, but if they get too crazy, the PD growls irritably and kicks them out. This goes back to an incident several years ago when one of his guys broke something the week before nationals fooling around after practice.

Sounds like very typical 'boy' time, i know a few gyms in my area all allow this.....*****This is something the girls WISH they could participate in!!!
boys gymnastics is so much more laid back.......girls is soooooo much more strict!!!

also, tension release right before Regionals is not a bad idea.......

I guess I am just freaking out since D will be competing AA for teh first time all season at regionals...lol. I think he still needs a high bar routine! :confused:

I don't have a ds but I can speak from the mother of a dd...

That would never fly at our gym! On a rare, rare, rare occasion during the summer, they might be allowed a 15 minute swim or a game, but only after running 3 miles! With regionals just 3 weeks away, we won't be seeing anything like that!

The girls will goof off, but that's done before practice starts. Once it starts, it's a solid 4 hours with no silly time, especially now.

Please don't take what I said the wrong way. It's not like boot camp! But it is a structured practice 99% of the time. But when they do "play a game", they appreciate it. It's never taken for granted.

My dd is heading to regionals, and I would be stressing if 2 1/2 hrs per week were free time.

I don't have a ds but I can speak from the mother of a dd...

That would never fly at our gym! On a rare, rare, rare occasion during the summer, they might be allowed a 15 minute swim or a game, but only after running 3 miles! With regionals just 3 weeks away, we won't be seeing anything like that!

The girls will goof off, but that's done before practice starts. Once it starts, it's a solid 4 hours with no silly time, especially now.

Please don't take what I said the wrong way. It's not like boot camp! But it is a structured practice 99% of the time. But when they do "play a game", they appreciate it. It's never taken for granted.

My dd is heading to regionals, and I would be stressing if 2 1/2 hrs per week were free time.

Boys gymnastics is TOTALLY different than girls.

He will be fine skschlag! Hes got this! and it sounds like he will have a great time!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back