Parents Practice groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

5birds

Are your JO practice groups your actual teams? My daughter goes to a gym where she practices with the level below her. Is this normal? She does not feel like part of a team when she goes to meets. She also gets one less practice day a week and less training on her current level skills. Should I consider switching gyms? She is the youngest on her team but did very well last year but has not had the same opportunities as the rest of her competing teammates this year.

During the school year, our girls practice together as a team. In the summer, they go into training groups so they can work to acquire skills at whatever pace works for them. But then they go back to teams once school starts and practice together with whatever team they make.

So far, yes. Our L3s practice by themselves. Our L4s and 5s practice together but are most often split into two groups (divided by team level) and work on the appropriate level stuff. They do some stuff as a whole group but most of the skills are divided by level. Our optionals all practice together, no clue how they work on different skill levels during the same practice because I haven't paid much attention to how their practices are structured.

The exception to this is the national TOPs team. Those girls practice mostly with the optional girls or by themselves, but they compete levels 4,5 and 8. I do think they feel part of the team, we certainly consider them teammates even though they very rarely actually practice with the 4/5team..!

Are your JO practice groups your actual teams? My daughter goes to a gym where she practices with the level below her. Is this normal? She does not feel like part of a team when she goes to meets. She also gets one less practice day a week and less training on her current level skills. Should I consider switching gyms? She is the youngest on her team but did very well last year but has not had the same opportunities as the rest of her competing teammates this year.
===
Switch gyms? why? All that matters is she is getting what she needs to get better at this sport. Why not let the coaches do what is best for your DD....

At our gym the different teams (xcel, JO, IGC) all train together. There is one IGC copper girl who trains exclusively with the silver xcel girls because of a huge age gap (it was her choice), but otherwise there is some overlap, depending on the apparatus and training days. Also, all the xcel levels, all the IGC levels, and all the JO levels (excepting preteam) warm up, stretch, and condition together.

Sounds like something I'd do for a kid who couldn't handle the hours (age) or keep up with the group. If she's the youngest , there could be some difficult dynamic the coach wants to protect her from, or who knows what?? Coachp's point is just the way it should be, because her coaches are within inches child throughout some lengthy workouts, and they are more able to judge what best for her training.

With that said, she may not like it, or you may not like it, and if you're not careful you're going to focus on that issue and make it impossible to walk through the gym door with an optimistic sense of anticipation. If that happens she will have to tote that baggage through every skill during every practice. Changing gyms won't help either, because she'll have to spend time just adapting, during which time the coaches may make adjustments or accommodations for her, and you'll start to second guess them as well. Geez, time to find gym number 3????

Ask yourself these two questions......

Did you have a sense that her coaches cared about her before "this" came about.

If you're answer is yes, proceed from there. If your answer is no then answer the second question......

Why would you have kept her there as long as you have?

Progress requires three things: A decent piece of equipment and matting, a coach who's committed to helping kids learn, and hard work from a determined child. It takes nothing less, and nothing more.

Last year DD was placed in a group based on the best fit for her age and maturity, rather than skill level. I didn't find this out until the end of the year - that they'do considered putting her with the next group up.

The group they considered had teenagers and she was 8. She would have felt out of place, and it think not enjoyed herself. Instead, she was in a group of 8 and 9 year olds, who were her peers, and they allowed her to progress at her pace in skills separately from the others (they were L5 and she competed L7).

Sure she did less hours than other L7s (16 vs 20). But it worked for her and I don't think she would have been any further ahead (ie another level up) had she been in the other group.

If you have questions, ASK. They likely have a good reason for it, but you just aren't aware of it.

===
Switch gyms? why? All that matters is she is getting what she needs to get better at this sport. Why not let the coaches do what is best for your DD....

That is exactly the issue. She is not getting what she needs. I don't feel like they are doing what is best for her. They focus on their top scorers.

I don't think its a really great reason to change gyms. They spend maybe 14-20 hours a week training with their team, but how many hours do they spend on the competition floor?

Isn't it better that they feel comfortable and bonded with the group they are in, does it really matter if they don't feel a bond with the kids they are competing with for a few hours.

If she is the youngest she may be on that team because they felt she would fit in better socially.

If she has done very well, perhaps she does not need the hours of the others to succeed.

Both my girls are in groups based on their level. But there are multiple groups that have girls in their levels. One dd's group has 2 levels in it. The groups are fairly mixed up at our gym I guess. they make it work. I would be more concerned about the less practice time. Can you have her go in for another day with a different group so that she gets the same amount of time as the others in her level?

It sounds from the coaches on here that there might be logical reasons why they are having her train with the lower group; but IMO they should communicate with you about what the reasons are. If you feel comfortable talking to them, then ask what the reasoning is. If you don't feel comfortable talking to them then I'd personally consider changing gyms because considering how much time our kids spend in the gym we should feel like we are a respected factor in the equation and that we (the parents) should be able to ask reasonable questions (which IMO this is).

It sounds from the coaches on here that there might be logical reasons why they are having her train with the lower group; but IMO they should communicate with you about what the reasons are. If you feel comfortable talking to them, then ask what the reasoning is. If you don't feel comfortable talking to them then I'd personally consider changing gyms because considering how much time our kids spend in the gym we should feel like we are a respected factor in the equation and that we (the parents) should be able to ask reasonable questions (which IMO this is).

Thank-you! This is what I am thinking. They won't share their reasons. They tell the girls and parents to not ask why.

Within my daughters level, there are two practice groups. My daughter was originally in the A practice group, who works on harder skills and comes an extra day. She was moved to the B group recently, assumingly because her vault scores have been very low this season. All of her other scores have been great. After the first meet (where she got a 6), I asked if they could help her with her vault through privates since she is just not getting it in practice, and she asked as well. They said no. No one has come to me to address her problems on vault at all the entire season and she has not gotten past a 7.8 when all of her other scores are in the nines. Our only meet left is states. One of the girls who was originally in the B group took her place in the A group. I do not care what group my daughter is in, but I do have a big issue with the lack of communication. She was not told that she was being moved, or why. She was not told what she could do to get her spot back. They just never addressed it at all. And even worse, the coaches keep insisting that there is no A and B group, and that it is just about numbers. They even promised them that this was the case. There are absolutely two different groups, and it is very obvious. Every team parent knows there is an every team gymnast knows there is. Not to mention, there are typically 8-9 girls in one group and 4-5 in the other and it's the same groups every time. So it is not about the numbers. If they wanted to move her, and they felt it was best, I would be just fine with that - IF they were honest about it. She would be sad but she would know what she had to do to get her spot back and could work towards that. But the lack of communication, the coverups, and the lying... really bother me. And honestly, it has me thinking that maybe we need to switch gyms, too. I just feel like that aspect of it is disrespectful to the amount of time she spends there and the amount of effort she puts it. I also think that kids are kids. Albeit, gymnasts are typically smart and mature kids. But moving their groups around in the middle of the season with no explanation offered just messes with their heads and hurts their feelings.

Our girls are "generally" grouped in practice by the level they compete. But I say generally because the stronger level 5s would often workout with the 6/7 group. We have a level 7 who is very strong but repeating because she is having trouble with an advanced vault. So she works out with the 8s.

Levels 4 and 5 workout at the same time and might do a rotation of basic tumbling together and even bars, but what the coaches have them working on might differ.

Levels 8-10 workout together since they are smaller in numbers than the compulsories.

So, it is possible to have girls who are at a different point in their skills progression workout together. Good coaching will allow them to individualize things.

We have some one-level groups and some two-level groups. It doesn't sound like that is the real problem though. You feel like your daughter isn't getting what she needs and your gym doesn't seem to be willing to answer your questions about her placement. You are a paying customer and you should be able to ask questions and get answers. Being a paying customer doesn't mean that you can demand that your daughter is placed in another group, but I think that it does mean that coaches should be willing to answer your questions about her placement and certainly you are allowed to move her to a different gym if you feel like she is not getting what she needs at her current gym.

My youngest dd who only trains once a week has a girl (who is the same age as she is) train along side her group, she warms up with the. and then works with her coach on the same equipment as dd's group, they sometimes share coaches where dd's coach and her coach work with this girls and dd's group , this girl trains several days a week and joins dd's group on their night along with her coach (who used to teach dd's goup before another coach took over the group).

There seems to be no issues with this girl training along side them as they can look up to her and see what they could acheive (she is more advanced due to training more days and has took her "grades" where as dd's group has not), this girl also cools down with the group and is sometimes my dd's warm up and cool down partner (due to their ages and the fact that they are not too much different in size), my dd knows she is good and understands that it is due to the extra days she goes to in a different group, my dd is not bothered by this at all.

We have 2 groups of L4s - competing and non-competing, then the L5s, then optionals. We are a small gym and generally have only had a couple 9/10s at a time. Our 8-10s do come one day more than the 7s (we don't do 6) so they have that day for more "up-training but right now we only have 1st year 8s and our 10s graduated, so they really can work with the 7s. All are age 11-15 actually, so age isn't an issue either. I do know that the older girls in the lower levels might be happier working with the optional group, but its a small gym (team about 35 total). The more advanced 7s do 8 skills with the group, etc...it works.

In the past there have been compulsory girls who got an "extra day" or got to work with the higher level kiddos...usually because of school conflicts or the fact that they were super motivated to move up. DD was in that group one year, and not in it another....she was were she belonged both times! This year she was given the option of L8 and/or working the 5 days a week even with repeating L7....she's done it some weeks and not others based upon how tired she was/other commitments....

I like being at a small/mid-sized gym that tailors these things to the kid - maybe the vault issues your DD is having are reflective of strength or form in ways that the coaches think will just plain need more time to sort out? Sounds like a simple question would help sort it out. I have learned never to ask "why is my kid not doing what so and so is doing?" but rather "what is the plan for my kid this year?" I always feel better when I know that the coaches really do have my child's best interest in mind...

Absolutely, Gracy! That's definitely one of the lessons learned through long-term gym parenting... to only worry about whether or not your kid is getting what he/she needs and not worrying how that compares to what anybody else is getting.

That is exactly the issue. She is not getting what she needs. I don't feel like they are doing what is best for her. They focus on their top scorers.
==

Okay, I hear this all the time from my parents. Problem is, the coaches know what she needs and you only think you know because you are basing your assumptions on performance and ability. The top scorers within a particular group are in that group because they are further along and older than your child. Your child is in her group because the is younger and not as far along and getting more basics within that group is going to do more for her in the long run. We go through this every year on our team. I have had parent up and leave because of it,,,,, sad really, and I can tell you that they end up in the SAME boat at the next gym.. I just lost a little level three who is 7, to another gym because of the EXACT same thing, guess what, she didn't even make the team over there! OOPS back to preteam..... Bottom line is every group I have has a top and a bottom, and ironically it's the TOP kid in each group who's parents are concerned about the groupings...... Think about that..... every group.... You need to step back and let your child get stronger basics so she can do will in this sport. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back