Parents Preparing new level 9 for tough competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
My daughter turned 11 in September and has her first level 9 meet on Dec 1st. She had a rough level 8 season last year (highest AA was in the 34s) and her confidence was shaken since she didn't get many medals . I really thought she would repeat level 8 but she had a great summer and here we are getting ready to start L9. I know she is going to be towards the bottom of the scoring again since she basically has the minimum requirements. How do I help and encourage her ? She works so hard 22 hours a week and I just want to see her get rewarded for her hard work .. The coach is really big on moving them fast young although she is the youngest L9 in our gym. I try to tell her there are not many 9s her age n she should be very proud but it's hard when she leaves many meets empty handed...

........ I try to tell her there are not many 9s her age n she should be very proud but it's hard when she leaves many meets empty handed......

She should be very proud of herself for making L9, and have even greater pride at having done it by what amounts to age 10........ (when she was on the way to L9.).

It is quite uncommon to do what she's done, and my hope is she knows that. Really she should at least view her status as proof that she's already won the battle, and will have great success in the future.

As hard as it will beand as others have said try having her focus on that amazing accomplishment of getting to L9 at such a younger age. She will have plenty of time working on getting higher skills since she is already at the high end of levels. Wishing her a terrific meet :).

Certainly, remind her being an 11 yo L9 is already an accomplishment in itself. A word to OP as the mom, the youngest age group in almost all levels is probably the most competitive. All the "superstars" move up rather quickly either to get to elite and/or just because they are good. Your daughter will have some very good gymnast at her age group. But do not let her be discouraged. Good luck this season.

Certainly, remind her being an 11 yo L9 is already an accomplishment in itself. A word to OP as the mom, the youngest age group in almost all levels is probably the most competitive. All the "superstars" move up rather quickly either to get to elite and/or just because they are good. Your daughter will have some very good gymnast at her age group. But do not let her be discouraged. Good luck this season.
=
yep,,, youngest age divisions are ALWAYS hard in our region. I think it was a 37.05 was the cut off last year to qualify for westerns.... and that was 12th place... 39 kids in that age bracket... If she does not do will this season I would object to the coach wanting to move her to 10 the next.

What we've told our daughter (not L9 but a high level for her age) is that there is value in competing at the higher level and pushing herself to be all that she can be, as opposed to competing a level down against girls who don't likely have the same skills as her. We asked if the "win" is so worth it, and if it would mean as much knowing she could have done more. She drank from our well ;)

Now we are only now just putting this into effect so I don't know the results. It will be hard for her, and for me as her mom to watch, because as you've said, they work soooooo hard. It has to be about something else, like personal best, new skills at the gym, higher tumbling, whatever.

Best of luck to you both.

Thank you for all the great comments ! Her first meet is this Sunday , I will post how she does . Her main worry is the urchenko vault , she's been inconsistent with lately .

Thank you for all the great comments ! Her first meet is this Sunday , I will post how she does . Her main worry is the urchenko vault , she's been inconsistent with lately .

Flipping that vault is probably the biggest jump from L7, or in your case L6, to L8. Some L8 may still compete the handspring vault. As long her feet touches the mat first, even if it is followed by falling on her butt, she'll get a score. And depending on execution, it may even be in the high 8s.

Best of luck. My dd was in the same exact position, age and level, last year. At the first meet she qualified to state, the 2nd meet she qualified to lev 10. She also had yuri troubles and did the butt vault landing. Floor was a bit hard, but beam and bars rocked. Tell her to relax and try to have fun and enjoy. Tell her to feel good about herself. Level 9 seemed like an unhappy place for a lot of folks. Kind of like the old lev 6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back