WAG press handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My kiddo is now the only one in her L5 training group who cannot do a press handstand and is pretty frustrated about it. She has long legs and is not the most flexible. I am ordinarily 100% against gymnastics outside the gym, but this is more of a conditioning issue that is safe to work on at home if she wants to, right? If so, what should she be doing? I found a JAO video of drills, but a lot of them seem to require equipment or spotting and I'm not exactly qualified to spot. I think parallettes would probably help with the leg length issue, but I don't think she's at that point yet. Ideas?
Get the paralettes, as she can work them as far as she can go. The more she tries, the better that will get. Also have her work in the flexibility daily. If there seems to be an issue that her flexibility is not improving, see a PT.

Shawn Johnson said during the Q&A portion of the Tour of Champions a few years ago that she was not able to do press handstands.

Maybe at that moment she couldn't but I doubt even that. At 1:03 of this video you can see her do one in 2011. It's hard to imagine an athlete who is strong enough to compete an elite bar routine and not able to do a press handstand, though apparently some have first hand knowledge of it.

I just don't care for broad statements, "many elites can't do press handstands", or referencing the best, most athletic gymnast (Simone) and confusing "NOT doing them" with "can't do them", or saying Shawn Johnson admitted she couldn't do them when there's video evidence she could.

I realize some of these statements are intended to put the OP at ease because her daughter can't do them yet. But they are misleading statements and not necessary, there is plenty of time to develop strength. My daughter couldn't do them at level 5 either, she's now a successful level 10 now who can do them repetitively with ease.

I think much of the concern for press handstands comes from a desire to score well in TOPS. But there are plenty of gymnasts who scored well in TOPS and are no longer doing gymnastics. And there are plenty of elite gymnasts and Div 1 NCAA gymnasts who never tested TOPS.

I'm pretty sure Simone can do one. I also think she dislocated her shoulder doing them so if she doesn't do them (I truly have no idea) that could be why.

Anyway I actually do know personally a past senior elite who can't do them but I'm not going to put their name here. Most high level gymnasts who can't can do other pressing exercises like lowering to just past their arms but not a full sit and pressing back up. I would agree that virtually most elites could do at least one from sitting though. So I don't necessarily agree with those claims, but we are talking about a level 5 JO team at a gym that I know is fairly open to different ages and body types so I'm pretty sure if everyone else in the group has it that may just be a coincidence and not a problem :) but I do think if her daughter doesn't have it from standing it is a worthwhile pursuit at this stage, she should have it from standing consistently for this level.

I disagree. I don't think most level 5s have press handstands from standing. I think it would be great if they did, I just don't see it a lot.

Reactions: sce
I disagree. I don't think most level 5s have press handstands from standing. I think it would be great if they did, I just don't see it a lot.

I think it's okay if they don't. I think most level 5s who did level 3 and 4 are starting to at least get it from standing most of the time. Either way I do think she can work on getting it consistent because it will be important when she tries to do the straddle cast handstand in level 6.

My dd had a press handstand from standing in rec, before she was even on team but struggles with multiples on the floor. She has a long torso, is very flexible but is very muscular. It’s definitely a body type issue and add in every time she grows a centimeter or gains an ounce she’s back to square one. Just my 2 cents.

Yep my older, has a long torso and short arms, she can press on beam and from her feet but only occasionally does one from candle on the floor... I think the extra momentum helps her get her hips up and out of her own way...

Maybe at that moment she couldn't but I doubt even that. At 1:03 of this video you can see her do one in 2011. It's hard to imagine an athlete who is strong enough to compete an elite bar routine and not able to do a press handstand, though apparently some have first hand knowledge of it.

I just don't care for broad statements, "many elites can't do press handstands", or referencing the best, most athletic gymnast (Simone) and confusing "NOT doing them" with "can't do them", or saying Shawn Johnson admitted she couldn't do them when there's video evidence she could.

In the video, her heels dragged the ground, so technically, it wouldn't count. AND, doing 1 without even attempting to go back down and do another (she looked a little shocked that she did as well as she did in the video) seems to indicate that she does at least struggle with them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back