Press to handstands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know there is a TON of threads on these already, but I really need some help. I am going into level 8 this year, and I am not even close to getting a press to handstand. I have done all the drills you guys have suggested, and I am very good at them, almost effortless with most of them, but as soon as a try one on the floor, I can't press up high enough so my toes wont hit the floor. Is it a flexibility issue? I don't have my splits all the way down, would it help if I did?

I can't do one either - L7. Can you do one from standing? If you can't, work them really slowly against a wall with your hands closer and closer to the wall as you get better, and then with your feet raised on a panel mat, making the mat lower and lower until you can do one from a stand on the floor. No jumping! If you can already do one from a stand...I don't know what to say. Some of the best gymnasts I know, at L9 and L10, can't do a press handstand from a sit by themselves. I think press handstands get harder when you get older because your body proportions change, or something, and yes it does help if your straddle/middle split is good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back