WAG Pressure

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! I am the type of person that put a lit of pressure on myself and I expect a lot of myself especially in gymnastics. When I work really hard on a skill and can't make it right, I get really frustrated and upset and start beating myself up to a point where I am having trouble concentrating on my gymnastics. Is it normal that I am feeling that way? Does anyone have any tips for me on how to control my emotions while in the gym so I can stay focus? I really can't keep doing gymnastics like that it's way too frustrated so if anyone has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm sure some gymnasts may have more practical things to add, but here are a few thoughts from a parent's perspective. First, as with anything in life, if you focus on the negatives ("I can't do this", "I'll never be able to do that", etc.), then your ability to achieve that task is greatly diminished from the start. You have to remember in your head and heart that you ultimately will be successful. Second, if there's a particular skill that you're struggling with, talk to your coaches. Tell them your frustration and see if they can give some specific direction. Don't take their words as criticism, but as the helpful advice it will be intended to be. Third, start fresh, focus on the advice, and visualize yourself doing all the things you've been taught. Fourth, practice, practice, practice. Finally, remember everything that you've achieved so far. Gymmies forget the days when they first learned the cartwheel or bridgekickover, but understand that, whatever you've accomplished, it is remarkable and it took a long to get where you are today. Good luck -- and just focus your energy on your motions instead of your emotions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back