Parents Progress reports - Please share

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hmmm let me see....

Oldest, 18, is trying hard to get a full time job so he can continue to live in the big city!

Oh Bog I am right there with you! My oldest, also 18 is in desperate need of a full-timee job. She heads off to college in the fall and will also live in the big city. We are trying to impress upon her the dire need to work now over the summer so that she will not need to as much when school starts.

I think we need some FT job fairies. I am sending those healing fairies by the truck load!!:D

DD, 14, is havng spinal fusion on Wednesday morning,If you have any spare healing fairies flying about we could sure use them this week.

Will be thinking about you and your DD on Wednesday, Bog. I hope you will be sure to give us updates.

And that sounds like a very cool camp! I've never heard of such a thing!

I think we need some FT job fairies.

Part of my job is teaching resume classes, so if either Bog's or LG7's job-searching kids want me to look at their resume, feel free to pm me and I can give you my email address.

Of course, the irony is that I teach classes in resumes and interview skills and help teenagers find jobs, and I find out on Tuesday if I'm going to be laid off! :p Sigh. I suppose I could use a few fairies sent in my direction as well... "Job Keeping Fairies?" "Budget Fairies?" Not sure what kind, but I'm sure there's a fairy out there for me...

Part of my job is teaching resume classes, so if either Bog's or LG7's job-searching kids want me to look at their resume, feel free to pm me and I can give you my email address.

Of course, the irony is that I teach classes in resumes and interview skills and help teenagers find jobs, and I find out on Tuesday if I'm going to be laid off! :p Sigh. I suppose I could use a few fairies sent in my direction as well... "Job Keeping Fairies?" "Budget Fairies?" Not sure what kind, but I'm sure there's a fairy out there for me...

My goodness MaryA...Thank you for the help! And I most definitely am sending those Job-Keeping-fairies! I hope all works out and something turns around. At times you hear the economy is moving upwards and then...

My goodness MaryA...Thank you for the help! And I most definitely am sending those Job-Keeping-fairies! I hope all works out and something turns around. At times you hear the economy is moving upwards and then...

I think the private sector IS adding jobs... but anything government funded is on the chopping block! And that's me!

My DD (8) has just started competing step 3. Her main problem is cast to horizontal on bar. Most of her class are not getting all the way up to horizontal. She really struggled to get her back walkover, but she has it a lot more consistently now. There is also the forward roll on beam causing a problem for just about everyone. They are supposed to get 52 AA in at least 2 competitions to move up to step 4, but the judging in the new Steps system is pretty tough, at the first comp only about the first 3 out of 27 competitors got to 52. I bet lots of girls do not get the required 52 twice in the season. If that happens, I hope the powers-that-be will consider revising the pass mark, because these girls do have their skills, I just can't see any point in them repeating step 3. The Steps system is all brand new this year, so I'm guessing there may need to be some adjustments made.

Very kind of you, I will ask DS if he would like that.

Mine has actually been away at school for two years now as high school end at grade 11 and he is a July baby. It has been a very interesting experience, but he is going to take a year off for some life experience and to make some money.

AS to the camp, it is at a place called Upper Canada Village, you can googel it. The camp is awesome, living history is such fun and they learn all the skills of that time, and they also go to school.

My dd just finished competing L9 and participated at Easterns. Leading up to Easterns we thought she had very bad tendonitis in her left elbow, but it was her choice to continue training and to compete. The week before Easterns her elbow started locking up on her while she would be training. She still wanted to compete at Easterns. The Monday after Easterns we were at the Doctors. Got a referral to a Sports Med Doctor, came to him with x-rays in hand. He wasn't a 100% just by looking at x-rays, so she had to get a MRI. MRI confirms that she has a bone chip in her elbow, which is what was causing the locking. We now have an appt with the Orthopedic Surgeon on 6/8 and will be scheduling surgery shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, she training L10 and will be competing 10 next season. She has not touched the vault or the bars since 5/7 (the day she competed at Easterns.) She has her side aerial back on beam and is trying to work on connections with it for bonus. Coach has her working side aerial-back tuck for series since she can not use her arm right now. It won't be her series for 10, but it's something she can work. Her current 9 series was a BHS-BLO and for 10 she is working a triple series FHS-BHS-BLO. She really has her split jump-sheep jump, which for 10 is .3 bonus and she also can do a side switch-split jump, which is also .3 bonus, but she probably won't do that in a routine because many of the girls are working it and she'd rather go with the split jump-sheep because she's the only on doing that. Lastly on beam she is working her gainer full for her C dismount. She is now at gainer half, so she should be good with a full by competing season.

On floor, she is basically on tumble trak. She was doing some back tumbling out of a RO before the chip was comfirmed, but now is only doing front tumbling.

I'm trying to get her surgery schedule for as soon as possible and hopefully it's just a chip removal and recovery will be about 3-6 weeks. Then she can get back to bars and vault and working single rail releases and Yurchenko layouts & starting to twist it. Fingers crossed that she will be back early and have new skills for High Performers camp in September (which she qualified to since she went to Easterns for her Region.)

What a fun thread :)

Well, DD will be competing L4 in the fall. HC has said that she would like them to do their first meet around Halloween. Our gym is new and this will be the team's 2nd season competing, but my DD's first. HC said she's really excited about the L4's - that they are the future of the gym and that they are gonna rock! It's really exciting for DD to be a part of it.

DD is a funny little gymmie. She is very powerful, but not so graceful. She struggles a lot on beam! Which is mostly because she is such a busy body and has to slow down and focus. It's very similar to what Bella's Mom said - she can't rely on her power to get through beam!

Anyway, here is her progress:

Bars - she has all of her L4 skills except (duhn, duhn) the dreaded mill circle. It is very inconsistent. But, she did a beautiful cast-HS the other night with HC spotting. She also has been turning her BHC into clear HC's! HC keeps telling her that she will not get a bonus for a clear hip in L4! Get your hips back to the bar, silly girl! She loves bars and looks beautiful on them.

Vault - She has a great L4 vault. I think this might be her best event. She has finally learned to hit the springboard and get the most out of it. Her run is really good when she puts all of her effort into it. She stuck a few L5 vaults the other night and was really proud of herself :)

Floor - She got her ROBHS about a month ago, but HC is still spotting all of them half the time to make sure they don't lose form. I watched her do the first half of the floor rountine the other night & she has made amazing progress with the beginning jump combo. She is not the most flexible gymmie, so when I saw her split leap get past 90 deg., I was impressed! She got to ring the bell for her floor routine & show the whole gym :)

Beam - By far DD's weakest event. She struggles mainly with landing the HS. The HS looks great, but she misses the landing probably 75% of the time. She gets both feet down, but then jumps right off. She does have her dismount & her jumps are looking a lot better.

She is really looking forward to competing this fall for the first time! HC is even going to let them help pick out their comp leos for the coming season :)

DD will be starting Dynamites next week, a fast paced level 3 class that feeds into the preteam. She will be going two days a week. No competitions yet, just a lot of brushing up old skills and getting new ones.

Here is some of her progress: Floor- good cartwheel and roundoff, good handstands, she gets her handstand forward roll about half the time, she is starting to work on kickovers, and she is very close to getting her splits. They have started working on some very heavily spotted BHS.

Bars- She pretty much has her pullover, sometimes her teacher has to grab her legs at the end so she can steady herself. Her back hip circle still needs a light spot. She has a decent cast. She is starting to do chin ups and leg lifts on the bars as well.

Beam- Can walk the beam backwards and forwards (still a little shaky), can jump off, and can do her cartwheel to handstand dismount with a light spot. Starting work worn on handstand on beam, but heavily spotted.

Vault- Can do the Level 4 vault with a heavy spot.

Perhaps even more importantly, she is very mature and focused for a five year old. She loves gymnastics and takes it very seriously. She never acts up in class or has to be called down by her coach and she takes direction well.

We are very proud of her progress! She has only been doing gymnastics a year and has come a long way!

DD, 14, is havng spinal fusion on Wednesday morning, she'll be happy if she just feels fine by late July when she goes on a French Exchange for three weeks. She has managed to finish school three weeks early, miss all her exams and still get a 95% average for the year. She hopes to continue her guitar lessons when she can sit up properly again.

DD 12 is working hard at gym to get her cheer skills. She is done with WAG and wants to move on. She is also off to a summer camp where she will "be" an 1850's child for a week. She can't wait as she loves history.

WOW on DD14's academic achievement! Finishing early is difficult enough but it sounds like she did it with a bang! And how fun about the French exchange. Where in France will she be?

DD12's 1850s camp sounds so cool. I've never heard of such a camp but it sounds like that would be so much fun. Hmmm...on second thought if she's really going to be an 1850s child maybe not so much. I don't fancy getting up at the crack of dawn to collect eggs, fetch water, and milk the cows. And don't think I could handle going in an outhouse for a week. But hey kids are funny....she'll probably think it's so cool. LOL

My dd just finished competing L9 and participated at Easterns. Leading up to Easterns we thought she had very bad tendonitis in her left elbow, but it was her choice to continue training and to compete. The week before Easterns her elbow started locking up on her while she would be training. She still wanted to compete at Easterns. The Monday after Easterns we were at the Doctors. Got a referral to a Sports Med Doctor, came to him with x-rays in hand. He wasn't a 100% just by looking at x-rays, so she had to get a MRI. MRI confirms that she has a bone chip in her elbow, which is what was causing the locking. We now have an appt with the Orthopedic Surgeon on 6/8 and will be scheduling surgery shortly thereafter.

Yuck! Very sorry to hear about your DD's injury and upcoming surgery. And the healing process afterwards. But I'm sure that you have put her in the very best of hands. Good luck with getting her back in competition shape and have a great season next year.

What a fun thread :)

Well, DD will be competing L4 in the fall. HC has said that she would like them to do their first meet around Halloween. Our gym is new and this will be the team's 2nd season competing, but my DD's first. HC said she's really excited about the L4's - that they are the future of the gym and that they are gonna rock! It's really exciting for DD to be a part of it.

DD is a funny little gymmie. She is very powerful, but not so graceful. She struggles a lot on beam! Which is mostly because she is such a busy body and has to slow down and focus. It's very similar to what Bella's Mom said - she can't rely on her power to get through beam!

Anyway, here is her progress:

Bars - she has all of her L4 skills except (duhn, duhn) the dreaded mill circle. It is very inconsistent. But, she did a beautiful cast-HS the other night with HC spotting. She also has been turning her BHC into clear HC's! HC keeps telling her that she will not get a bonus for a clear hip in L4! Get your hips back to the bar, silly girl! She loves bars and looks beautiful on them.

Vault - She has a great L4 vault. I think this might be her best event. She has finally learned to hit the springboard and get the most out of it. Her run is really good when she puts all of her effort into it. She stuck a few L5 vaults the other night and was really proud of herself :)

Floor - She got her ROBHS about a month ago, but HC is still spotting all of them half the time to make sure they don't lose form. I watched her do the first half of the floor rountine the other night & she has made amazing progress with the beginning jump combo. She is not the most flexible gymmie, so when I saw her split leap get past 90 deg., I was impressed! She got to ring the bell for her floor routine & show the whole gym :)

Beam - By far DD's weakest event. She struggles mainly with landing the HS. The HS looks great, but she misses the landing probably 75% of the time. She gets both feet down, but then jumps right off. She does have her dismount & her jumps are looking a lot better.

She is really looking forward to competing this fall for the first time! HC is even going to let them help pick out their comp leos for the coming season :)

Our daughters must have been separated at birth! LOL You're right, they do sound the same.

That's really great about your daughter sticking the handspring vault. Bella's has never even vaulted to the table yet. I've been curious about how she would like it but I think that her approach probably isn't fast enough yet. I still notice the slightest of hesitation when it comes time to circle her arms and hit the springboard. She needs some more time to really attack it and I'm sure her coaches won't let her near the table until she's ready. But serious kudos to your DD for her vaulting skills!

WOW on DD14's academic achievement! Finishing early is difficult enough but it sounds like she did it with a bang! And how fun about the French exchange. Where in France will she be?

DD12's 1850s camp sounds so cool. I've never heard of such a camp but it sounds like that would be so much fun. Hmmm...on second thought if she's really going to be an 1850s child maybe not so much. I don't fancy getting up at the crack of dawn to collect eggs, fetch water, and milk the cows. And don't think I could handle going in an outhouse for a week. But hey kids are funny....she'll probably think it's so cool. LOL

Oldest will be going to La Ciotat on the south coast of France. It is a small coastal village to the East of Marseilles. She went last year on a school exchange, this year two of the girls will come here for three weeks in early July and then DD and her friend will go there for three weeks. A fun summer.

Youngest is so excited to do all of those things, she gets to look after piglets, quilt, spin wool, cook etc. No modern luxuries or food for a week. We have visited the working village every year and she has wanted to do the camp forever, so this is a huge deal for her. The camp takes 20 kids a week and the places are highly sought after, they have to get teacher referrals and write an essay about why they think they would fit in. Youngest is bilingual so I think that was a bonus for her appliaction. She will dress in period clothing for the week, right down to the eye glasses. They do get some down time for swimming and camp activities as they stay in some behind the scenes houses, but no tv, phones etc.

Hmmmm....posted yesterday but somehow it just "went away". Anyway, I am loving this thread! Good luck and healing fairies to all that are getting surgery and needing jobs out there! It can be very hard for teens to find work in the summer since everyone is home from school and looking for jobs!! My oldest is now 20 and is also taking a semester off....he is serving tables at a local restaurant.

Mary A....I hope everything works out for you also! This economy is brutal!!

Ok, on to the report...

Alex is uptraining currently and working on overcoming fears on bars and beam! She is going to be doing some private lessons with the owner/HC this summer to help one on one with her fear of being spotted. Hopefully without the stress of everyone watching will help!

Floor - working on her FHS FT and can stand it up now. She was having a hard time standing up the FT and not landing on her butt. She also has her RO BHS BLO on tumble trac but still needs to work it on the floor more. She recently got her ariel on floor but it is not completly consistent. She had it in the past but they don't work them alot so it went away and now it is back!!

Bars...they are working on cast handstands and she can get about 3/4 on her own. She has a fear of being spotted on the pit bar which is where they seem to want to work on these. The HC told me the other day that it has alot to do with her not wanting to lean over the bar. She says she has no problem doing it on any other bar so we will see come next Monday during her privat. They are also doing drills for the flyaway. She developed a fear of this last summer. She is very frustated with herself that she can't let go of the bar. She tells me that she knows she can do it ...(she had it 2 summers ago) but her body just won't let her.
Also working on the baby giant and free hip which seem to be easier for her so they are coming along pretty well!

Beam......her nemesis event! They are not even working with her on the BWO at the moment. They are trying to get her to do a strong cartwheel roundoff so she can compete Prep Op this fall. Our region uses Prep Op as a stepping stone to Level 7 without having to do a full year (or 2) in Level 6. This way they get to have thier own routines until they have all the skills for Level 7. I guess this is because alot of girls quit at L6 because it is so hard and the judging is very harsh. So our gym will do a mobility meet to score out of 6 and then they can do Prep Op till they are ready for L7. I love the concept which is relativly new to our area but has really grown in the 2 years (I think) it has been around.

Vault - still the FHS vault which based on her scores last season can use alot of work but has improved by leaps and bounds over the last year! Started the season out with 6.9 but ended with an 8.1.

I also have a DS (6) doing rec classes right now.
He just got his pullover on bars. He can really swing great on the p-bars and his coach also assisted him in doing a swing to handstand (thank dunno for the correct term for this skill) at his last class.

On floor he is still working on his RO and cartwheel. He is under the impression based on which way he is going down the mat that he has to use a different leading leg. So going one way his CW or RO looks great but then coming back it is a hot mess!! Very funny to watch.

They have worked a little on the rings and he can swing but not much else!!

the mushroom....he finally understands when and how to pick up his hands to do the circle but it is very choppy at this point. He has to stop when he gets in front and has to think about what to do next. It will improve I am sure!!
Based on where he started to now he has come such a long way. At first he was afraid to hold a handstand against a mat but now he seems almost fearless!!

DD has to compete one level 4 meet and then will move on to level 5. Her first meet is 8/13. She has all of the skills for level 4, just needs to put them together. She has everything for level 5 except for the kip. She is so very close. She will be at the gym 4 hours a day, 5 days a week so I'm sure she will get it by then.

I'm excited for the season to begin. My dd does so much better at compulsories then she does at pre-op.

Thanks for doing this thread and everyone's progress seems to be coming right along.[/QUOTE

Why does she have to compete one Level 4 meet? It seems like if she's going right to level 5 it would be a waste of time to work on level 4 routines since it's not a level you have to compete at all.

My DD is injured & not at the gym at all right now. I'm soaking up every minute, enjoying the extra family time this "break" is giving us! I can honestly say I'm in no rush to get her back to the gym. Having her heal thoroughly is our main focus right now. When she does return to gym it will be gradual. I don't want her pushing for any new "big" skills this summer & risking further damage. I know it sounds cliche but her health & happiness are really all I care about. I honestly don't care what skills she has or doesn't have or what level she competes at next season. Good luck to all of your DD's! Wishing them a healthy & happy summer:)!

My DD is injured & not at the gym at all right now. I'm soaking up every minute, enjoying the extra family time this "break" is giving us! I can honestly say I'm in no rush to get her back to the gym. Having her heal thoroughly is our main focus right now. When she does return to gym it will be gradual. I don't want her pushing for any new "big" skills this summer & risking further damage. I know it sounds cliche but her health & happiness are really all I care about. I honestly don't care what skills she has or doesn't have or what level she competes at next season. Good luck to all of your DD's! Wishing them a healthy & happy summer:)!

I agree! I will be happy if Alex just stays Prep Op for the rest of her career. She just wants to have her own routines!!
I hope your DD heals quickly! Have a great summer!!

Sounds like everyone is having a good off season! My DD will be competing L5 this year again. She has lots of little things she work on and bars and floor were tough for her, so hopefully it will be a great season for her. Her gym uptrains year round and she is never bored at practice, so that makes repeating not a big deal! She has all her L6 skills except for on bars and is working L7 stuff on floor and beam. As long as she is progressing and happy, I am happy! :D

My dd will compete level 3 in the fall. They have been working exclusively L3 skills since the beginning of this month (once her spring season was over). She loves the new vault since they actually get to run and jump on this one. :eek:

On bars she is looking better but that mill circle is going to take awhile. I had posted a week or so ago that she fell on bars. This doesn't seem to have set her back at all. I was worried that she would be afraid but she was actually excited to go to bars on Friday.

She seems to be making progress on both beam and floor as well. Overall, she seems excited about working on the new skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back