Proper Form on Layouts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me fix the form on my layouts. They used to be pretty arched throughout, but i managed to make the second half nice and straight/hollow, the problem is, as soon as I set for my layout i still arch into it. It looks like this:

jhdkasbdans2.jpg

..straight/hollow from there on

Really arched from the set, and then it gets less and less archy until i reach 90 degrees where it is fine from there on.

It's like i throw my shoulders back and leave my legs behind until they catch up with me when i am at the second part of the layout, after i have reached 90 degrees. Does anyone know how i can fix this? By throwing my shoulders back it seems to start my rotation, but clearly this is bad form.

I have been trying to keep my head neutral, and it is slightly improved but I still have that initial arch.

I'v also practiced setting properly and hollow on a trampoline, staying hollow and landing on my back, but i don't know how to start the rotation from there without arching into it.

Thanks,
Robin

The set for a layout shouldn't be hollow -- there SHOULD BE a slight arch in the upper back on takeoff for a layout. This is necessary to generate rotation.

That said, it should be slight and it should be tight. In my opinion, the best way to think of it is to aim for a straight body on takeoff, but think about driving the fingertips towards the wall behind you; this will cause the shoulders and chest to open slightly, giving you the tight slight arch you need.

If you feel you are arching too much on take off, squeeze your abs. A tight arch is needed to make the layout flip. Stand up tall in our set and lift your chest up instead of back.

As some of the previous posts have alluded to, the proper set in the layout should be a slight arch on takeoff. What is critical to achieving this successfully depends on the take off position out of the skill before the layout. Whether it is a round off or a back handspring, the body should obtain a posture where the feet are behind the centre of mass.

i have this same problem a lot of the time in my layouts, except that i tend tojust throw my shoulders straight back which makes it almost impossible to flip without arching :/ I've also been working on making my set go up more and it seems to help. If you have a tumble trak at you gym you should practicethem on there becasue the extra spring helps you to get yourself in therigth body position. I've also noticed that gymnasts that archinto their layouts tend to pike down. If you are, thats another problem that you should probably take care of now. Hopefully that helped alittle - good luck!

One drill is to work a back drop by focusing on lifting the hips and toes like a lever (straight body). You can work this onto trampoline or on a mat stack/resi or foam pit. Make sure the mat stack has an 8 incher on the top that is somewhat squishy and absorbing instead of stiff (they won't like if they get the wind knocked out of them).

This worked with some of our girls who had an archy layout that we were trying to clean up to work fulls.

We also worked body levers (candlesticks) lifts and I hand spotted it on the rings/bar so they would understand the feel of it.

Most gymnasts who initiate a full with a tight arched layout will pull into a straight/hollow body as they twist without problems.

To fix your problem aside from everything else said..do this drill..

Stack up mats shoulder height...and do RO- BHS (with a long second half BHS) stand tall and kick feet to flip to candle stick on the mats.. Progressively take the mats to to head height.. and when you can do that i guarantee you a non whipping layout.

The key is a long second half BHS, and lifting the chest up into the take-off.. Avoid moving your shoulders... Like you said you throw your shoulders back...there is your reason for the excessive arch..
I personally teach arms sideways on Layouts. Rather then up and down.. (as in this vid of this dude (first skill) YouTube - Gymnastics Tumbling )

Hope that helps

Valentin, just to comment, I've also seen arm sideways on the L5 boy's vaults and other saltos.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Most gymnasts who initiate a full with a tight arched layout will pull into a straight/hollow body as they twist without problems.

I am already doing fulls and my coach says my form in them is much better than in my layouts, but I will keep working on reducing the arching as much as I can in my layouts anyway.

When I compare my layouts to videos of perfect ones I don't see them arching into it at all, so will I get deducted for a visible (but not too drastic) arch during the first half of the skill?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Hi

Yes you should, because essentially you are
arch to much, and also your height will be reduced.
Also being able to do a full with better form is common for layouts that arch, because by initiating the twisting it help straighten out the body.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back