Parents Pros and Cons of Repeating a Level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hope that my dd repeats lvl3 next year. I know it's considered a waste here on CB to repeat 3, but she has spent most of the meet season just getting her ROBHS. Her highest AA has been 33.4. Every meet she has one apparatus that she bombs. It changes each time, which is maddening. She's only 7. I feel like I'd rather her put in more time on this level, really working on her deficits and improving her form instead of rushing her up a level where she most likely will struggle. Our gym doesn't seem to have an established up training system in place, so basically the girls get the summer/fall to learn the new level skills/routines. There is a possibility that this may change (new coach/new system) in which case most of the girls will not move up anyway. Some parents might be upset about this, but when I'm seeing girls at other gyms consistently score 2-3 WHOLE points higher than most on our team, I know something's not working quite right. But in the event that nothing changes, I just can't see her getting all the new level 4 stuff in that short amount of time. I'm mentally preparing to advocate that she repeat level 3 but move up to level 4 training hours.

I hope that my dd repeats lvl3 next year. I know it's considered a waste here on CB to repeat 3, but she has spent most of the meet season just getting her ROBHS. Her highest AA has been 33.4. Every meet she has one apparatus that she bombs. It changes each time, which is maddening. She's only 7. I feel like I'd rather her put in more time on this level, really working on her deficits and improving her form instead of rushing her up a level where she most likely will struggle. Our gym doesn't seem to have an established up training system in place, so basically the girls get the summer/fall to learn the new level skills/routines. There is a possibility that this may change (new coach/new system) in which case most of the girls will not move up anyway. Some parents might be upset about this, but when I'm seeing girls at other gyms consistently score 2-3 WHOLE points higher than most on our team, I know something's not working quite right. But in the event that nothing changes, I just can't see her getting all the new level 4 stuff in that short amount of time. I'm mentally preparing to advocate that she repeat level 3 but move up to level 4 training hours.

It's definitely not a waste of time, especially if she spends time training progressions and skills for the next levels. My daughter repeated old level 4 (same as new level 3) and it was great for her. She was kept challenged and got to feel successful at the level she was truly proficient in. She did the same with old level 5, then did level 6/7 split season, another year of level 7 and is now a level 8. :) I know currently there are people here who think repeating level 3 is a waste, but back then when I asked the question here years ago about the positive of repeating a level (I wanted to share the stories with my daughter because she wanted to move up), I got lots of positive feedback. Your daughter is young (mine was, too), she has plenty of time.

As a famous saying around here goes "Gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint".

It's not a waste if she will benefit from it. Ever

As for worries about teams with girls not scoring 37s, if the team philosophy is to try to move them along toward optionals quickly, they may be training a lot more on foundational skills and not so much on the finer details of the compulsory routines. If you have a healthy crop of L9s and L10s who are scoring well, you shouldn't worry about whether the L4s and L5s are owning the podium.

Not to highjack this thread but this is a huge concern for me. My dd is L4, scoring well on all events and placing but not exceptional. Out of our huge team, she's scoring in the top 3-7 on all events. She's the youngest. My main concern is those basic elements may be missing at this gym if we can't score 36's & 37's consistently like many other gyms. So, if they're missing these basics, is repeating even going to help? We have had several 3's repeat and this year, they're scoring basically what they scored last year, so repeating was wasted in my opinion. Move ups haven't happened yet and we do still have several meets to go, but so far, none of team of L4's have been super high scorere's.
I would say if after several years of repeating levels and the scoring issues are not only one athletes issue, it's the majority. I would seek out better training. Just my opinion. Good luck. Never think your daughter doesn't have what it takes, it may be that she's not thriving where she's at.

I always think of the expression, If one team member is playing badly it's probably them. if the whole team is playing badly it's probably the coach.

In our gym, we are encouraged to think of scores as relative. And yes the expectation is to win. But with scores we are encouraged to look for improvement.

No matter if you are starting the season at 8.5 or 9.2, the expectation is the numbers go up 5-6 months later. And at our gym overall they do. Our 8.5s get to 9s or higher our 9.2s to 9.6s there abouts.

My DD competed in her first L3 meet in Nov 2010. She competed two seasons at L4 starting in the 2011-2012 season. Having her repeat L4 was the best decision the coaches ever made. The first season her scores started in the 33s and got progressively better until the Spring state meet where she scored 36.100 which was the highest score of the season. She repeated L4 in 2012-2013 not to win medals but to gain confidence and because she was young. In fact, up to that point she would always miss the first couple of meets each season because she wasn't old enough to compete yet. At the start of the 2013-2014 season, she scored out of the new L4 and new L5, skipped L6, and competed as a L7. She just finished this meet season as the L8 AA champion in region 5 as a 9YO and she had the highest score at the meet. So in my opinion, repeating a level is good if it is done for the right reasons like in my DD's case. She goes into her meets now with so much confidence and it all began at the compulsory levels.

My oldest daughter will be repeating l2 this summer. While I understand that it is a rec level in most gyms, it is not in our area. She is just now getting her stride circle and back walk over consistently in practice. Our gym has no pre-team program and requires those skills to move to L3 and train the next skills. My daughter and I are both comfortable with this decision because she will be able to work on harder skills in practice while having a solid competition season and building confidence. Her coach and I made the decision together. Some of her teammates with similar skillsets may be moving on, but this is right for us.

@ashyflashy Because you mention no one at your gym is scoring well, I would take a hard look at the gym's optional team. If they are competitive at that level, then you can feel pretty confident your dd's getting the right kind of training and could benefit from an extra year. However, if the optional program is also weak, and the compulsories are scoring 33-35...then your dd will not likely make a huge improvement just by repeating. Repeating with the right gym can be a huge advantage for all the reasons stated by others. Repeating a year at a gym that isn't focused on building strength and technique is simply a waste of time. Generally, the coaches make the decisions with little or no input from parents. We just get to write the checks and rely on CB to figure out what's going on most of the time!

DD will probably be repeating Level 4. She finished up with an almost 36 all around and was state champ on vault, but is struggling with the level 5 bar routine. Well... more than struggling, she flat out cant do it.She is only 8, so another year to gain strength will be a good thing, even though it will be a blow to her ego. Hopefully she will see some success in other events. My biggest concern is losing all of the level 5 skills she has gained and can do pretty well. And she continually talks about how unfair it is that no one has to do anything new on her best event. She wants to learn something new on vault so bad. Stupid bars..........

JMO I would rather a repeat of Level 4 vs Level 3. Form can be worked on in both levels. Mill circle in L3 will never be used again. Hand stand and BHS in both Levels. Yep if my girl has to repeat one, I would rather 4

Our gym actually requires most girls to repeat level 4. I don't really say any cons of repeating, she will do will and can up train throughout the season too!

JMO I would rather a repeat of Level 4 vs Level 3. Form can be worked on in both levels. Mill circle in L3 will never be used again. Hand stand and BHS in both Levels. Yep if my girl has to repeat one, I would rather 4
Agree with this sentiment all the way :) Very anxious to hear next week which training group DD will be in for the summer. She had a solid (not spectacular) L3 season and has fulfilled the gyms "requirements" to move up at this point. She is a young 7, so I think many of her deductions are form and the mill circle has been the bain of her L3 existence. From prior experience though it seems repeating L3 is very common at our gym.

Agree with this sentiment all the way :) Very anxious to hear next week which training group DD will be in for the summer. She had a solid (not spectacular) L3 season and has fulfilled the gyms "requirements" to move up at this point. She is a young 7, so I think many of her deductions are form and the mill circle has been the bain of her L3 existence. From prior experience though it seems repeating L3 is very common at our gym.

Does she have her kip. At our gym no kip no 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back