punishment in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When my son was working his rh-bhs-bhs-bhs-bt, he came home one day in tears because "coach called me a chicken and told me I would never get my series" Of course, at first I was a little upset. When he calmed down, I asked him what coach said....he told me "YOu have this, you just chickened out. I am not sure when we will have the floor again to do it, so it could be a while."

This is what I mean. He thought he was in trouble for not doing a skill....and that wasn't it at all. Sometimes, it just comes out wrong when people are upset. And I am not saying that coaches sometimes don't go overboard with their discipline, but in my son's case, I try to remember that he has 10-13 boys ages 7-12 out there, and sometimes has to be strict.

as is being posted...the circumstances are vague. the original post seems vague but ordinary. doesn't sound like punishment to me.

I have had gymnasts who thought that every time I gave them a drill, conditioning exercise, or required them to make x number of a certain skill before they could move on think I was just the meanest coach ever who was simply out to get them and was treating them so much more unfairly than the other gymnasts- little ones and teens alike. I don't view any of those things as punishment, but logical progressions to developing the strength and reworking the basic foundation of the skill they are working on to build confidence, correct body positions, and ensure safety.

LOL this is my dd, "She made me do 10 back handsprings stuck on the low beam THEN 10 more on the high beam!"

Me, "Yes, well when you do them over and over stuck, then when you have to do only ONE in your routine, it will seem easy!"

DD, "She's so MEAN!"

@@

Thanks for all the replies. I agree. I have no problem with consequences if she is misbehaving or not moving on to new stuff if it is a safety issue.

From what dd is saying her coach thought she wasn't listening on vault (not making corrections) so she wasn't allowed
to do other new things on floor later. I don't think it was a progression thing. If that's a normal consequence than I will
accept it and talk to dd so she understands.

I don't want to be the parent who runs to coach every time dd is upset after practice but she does have diagnosed anxiety.
She has a hard time letting go when she is yelled at or punished. She really needs to know why she is being asked to do or not do certain things.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree. I have no problem with consequences if she is misbehaving or not moving on to new stuff if it is a safety issue.

From what dd is saying her coach thought she wasn't listening on vault (not making corrections) so she wasn't allowed
to do other new things on floor later.
I don't think it was a progression thing. If that's a normal consequence than I will
accept it and talk to dd so she understands.

I don't want to be the parent who runs to coach every time dd is upset after practice but she does have diagnosed anxiety.
She has a hard time letting go when she is yelled at or punished. She really needs to know why she is being asked to do or not do certain things.

that's reasonable.

in our gym, if you do not do a skill and do corrections, you stay on that skill until you make the corrections, then can move on. However, if you do not do the skill in a certain time limit or are just standing there for ten minutes, they may send you home. I also know a lot of other gyms who give rope climbs for not doing corrections.

i love the rope!:)

for conditioning that is...haha...:)

I am teacher so I hear you ;).

But sending a child home because he/she refuses to do something out of fear... that's just not fair. If a fear is strong there should be a progression to work through the block - go back some steps, redo the steps done before, don't get angry. Sometimes just do the progressions for today and try again the next day. Moreover fears can get stronger when you get punished for showing fear. You start to fear the fear...

Sometimes, the kids have been experiencing the fear for a long time and no longer trying to overcome it - they either refuse to try the skill, give attitude, sulk, cry, whatever. At that point, fear or no fear, the coach has the right to send the gymnast home or make them sit out of the rest of practice.

So, what should a little one do when just to scared to go? That's a horribly hard situation to get through, especially for teenagers or little kids! Most adult athlete give attitudes in these situation in most sports to coach... (I am a coach, national level, track and oly lifting, no weekend warriors here). I just think an adult has to be the adult in these situations even when it's really *frustrating* and that means it's your job to get the kid to calm down, don't punish, keep it positive and send them back to their progressions/ visualizing/ strength and stretching exercises - whatever seems reasonable in the given situation. Getting "send home" (= always a punishment for a driven athlete) is just making the fear bigger imo.

Sometimes, the kids have been experiencing the fear for a long time and no longer trying to overcome it - they either refuse to try the skill, give attitude, sulk, cry, whatever. At that point, fear or no fear, the coach has the right to send the gymnast home or make them sit out of the rest of practice.

I don't agree with this. I have been struggling with a fear of a backhandspring on beam for at least 3 years, got hurt doing it last year and was trying to slowly build back up to it... a couple months ago I was trying to move from the low beam to the high beam with a big mat under it and I wouldn't go, not even with a spot, and I broke down and started crying (which I never do). Rather than kick me out of the gym, my coach decided to back off from the skill and now I'm working roundoffs instead. I think that you should try your hardest to overcome a fear, but sometimes it just isn't possible and you shouldn't be punished for that.

well i once did a bad vault and had to do 5 rope climbs and that day i go a rip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back