Question About Deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

monspangler

What is the amount of deduction taken on beam if:

1. Gymnast falls on back walkover but gets one foot on.
2. Gymnast falls on back walkover with no foot on.

Thanks.

As my DD's coach explained it, if they touch the beam w/one foot, then it just counts as a fall (.5).... if they miss their feet entirely, they lose the value of the skill (?) PLUS a fall (.5). Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I think in USAG and FIG, in order to have the skill credited both feet must land on the beam before the fall. The amount of the deduction would depend on the system you are under. In FIG it could be as much as 1.5, but it is less in USAG.

If you get one foot on you only get deducted for the fall... if neither feet hit the beam, you technically haven't done the skilll so you lose the value - which I believe is now .8 or 1.1 plus the .5

If a gymnast gets one foot on, the element is consider complete. So she would lose .5 for the fall, plus the execution deductions, as she would likely be crooked, potentially with staggered hand placement.

If a gymnast get no feet on, they will receive the "Incomplete Element Deduction" which is "up to the value of the element". The backwalkover is worth .6, so typically most judges will only take a .3 or .4 on the "up to the value", since if their hands hit, we look at it as if they have completed half of the skill.

Short answer:
One foot & fall: .5+execution
No feet: .5+.3-.4+execution

Wow USAG is very generous compared to FIG. Girls here get very low scores due to falls like that. It would gaurantee a 1.6 deduction under FIG.

SO,if they don't hit the beam with either foot and obviously fall, should they get back up and re-do the BW? What if they aren't sure if their foot hit and re-did the BW? What would the deduction(s) be?

What is the amount of deduction taken on beam if:

1. Gymnast falls on back walkover but gets one foot on.
2. Gymnast falls on back walkover with no foot on.

Thanks.

1. 5 tenths for the fall if in JO program and whatever execution each judge might take. i know there are judges here that will pipe in.

2. humongous depending on the level cause 1 foot has to touch to get credit for the skill. no feet=she never did a back walkover.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back