Parents Question about levels???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Torimom12

Proud Parent
My DD just finished level 5 and so I would assume next season she would move to level 6. She tells me they have been working on upgrades for some time now and she finished on top at level 5 states so I don't have a question about her moving up.
My question is this....she came home and was talking about things she did at practice and she mentioned that the coaches said some of the girls in her group (level 5 the season that just ended) will be moving to level 6 and some will go to level 7. The question I have is why? Why would some go to level 6 and some skip and go to level7? I'm confused. Help!

Level 6 is not a required level for USAG. The girls don't have to test out of it. Difficulty-wise it is parallel to level 5, although level 5 has the set compulsory routines and level 6 are optionals routines. Some gyms do one or the other. My dd's gym has the girls test out of 5 and move to 6 instead of doing a whole season of 5. Usually the difference between a girl going to 6 or 7 is if she has giants.

Our girls scored out of Level 5.
One girl had her skills for Level 7, so skipped 6. The remaining girls competed level 6. (three were close, and really trying to get their giants before decisions, but didn't quite make it).

I would guess in your gym, it would be based on how well they are handling the level 7 skills.

It is not uncommon for a gymnast to skip one or the other of level 5 or level 6 around me - like either go from level 4 to level 6, or from level 5 to level 7. The skills in level 5 and level 6 are very similar, but 6 allows for more flexibility (adjustments) as well as upgrades if the gymnast has them (which makes it more fun). Level 5 also is known for some really tough scoring, so sometimes people like to avoid it for that reason (possibly even repeating level 4 until ready for the jump to level 6).

I agree with everything posted above and would only add that sometimes it is a choice around the individual needs of the athlete. Sometimes its best to have an 8yo L6 that may repeat 8 and STILL spend 4 years as a L10 instead of a 8yo L7 that spends 5 or 6 years @ L10 - potential for burnout can be a factor to consider when moving some kids.

Thanks to all that replied! It all makes sense now. I can see some of the girls going to level 6 and some potentially going to level 7...depending on the summer training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back